DIY leftover junk garage backstop

I’ve been shooting close range (7 1/2 yards) in my garage at my two “the block” targets stacked. I decided I should make a cheap backstop of some sort and started looking at materials I had on hand. I have one sheet of 4’x30”x7/16” OSB. I also had enough strips of OSB to match the full sheet. I had a 1 1/2” sheet of foam insulation. I sandwiched/glued it all together with some left over liquid nails.

I shoot a 60# Mathews Creed XS and my arrows weigh 3,700 grains.

I understand that this backstop will very likely destroy an arrow. An arrow is cheaper than a garage door.

Do you think this backstop is adequate to stop an arrow? Hopefully I won’t learn the answer from experience.

Greenmachine_1

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go full super troopers and test it to find out. Preferably outside with a target behind where I plan on testing it at.

I suspect you will want more material to stop it, but only one way to know for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

OP
Wyobohunter
Green machine - I agree, that’s the only way to 100% know. I may do that when I get ready to buy more arrows but I only have a dozen and want them to last. I can at least say with near certainty it’ll keep an arrow from going far if it does penetrate the backstop and the garage door.

Fry - I’ll look into those and see if there is a cheap/practical way to put one up and be able to store it out of the way.

The one a threw together is easy to move and lean against the wall.

Greenmachine_1

Lil-Rokslider
I'd bet that two layers of 7/16" OSB with 1-1/2" of foam in between will stop your arrows cold.

Shooting an arrow weighing half a pound, you should have time to run up and catch it if it looks like it's going to miss the target ;)
I was thinking the momentum of such an arrow might be enough to make it through...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

OP
Wyobohunter
I'd bet that two layers of 7/16" OSB with 1-1/2" of foam in between will stop your arrows cold.

Shooting an arrow weighing half a pound, you should have time to run up and catch it if it looks like it's going to miss the target ;)
🤣
I had to run back out and weigh an arrow again… First I set it on my digital kitchen scale, 0.8 ounces. Then on my digital reloading scale, 370 grains. I missed the decimal. It seemed a little heavy but I don’t weigh arrows much. 😳

Last edited: