DIY Material Exchange

colonel00

WKR
The purpose of this thread is to have a central place where people can offer up DIY materials they might have as extra on hand. The idea here is that people out there may have some fabric or other materials that they would want to offer up in exchange for something of a different color or whatever. For instance, if you are making some pullouts, you might want them to be of varying colors but it may not make sense to order a yard in several colors from a fabric place just to make one little pullout of each color.

This can go beyond fabrics as well. Maybe you have some extra webbing because you had to buy a yard but only needed 10". The same could be said with zippers or zipper pulls or shock cord, etc.

If you don't have anything to trade, a monetary offer wouldn't break the bank. A yard of fairly expensive silnylon is $9-10 so a little piece wouldn't cost much and could easily be folded in an envelope and shipped for next to nothing.

So, here is what I have to offer up. I don't know exactly how much I have of each material at the moment but I definitely have plenty to share for making small pullouts or stuff sacks.

White 30D(?) Ripstop Nylon - A Walmart special so I don't know much about the fabric details but it works well and is easier to work with

IMG_2301_zps6741b9e3.jpg

DWR coated Ripstop Nylon - This isn't "waterproof" but it does a good job of shedding water

IMG_2355_zpseff2dfe7.jpg

Greenish-Gray Silnylon (2nds) - This is 1.1oz/yd silnylon 2nd. The silicone coating is a little thick and has some streaks in some spots but for small projects it isn't that bad.

IMG_2367_zpsdba10612.jpg

Coyote Silnylon - I think this is 1.1oz/yard but I can't remember for sure. The color was described as coyote but it seems a little darker. (No picture yet)

Stid2677

WKR
I have some orange Silnylon and some OD green parachute material.

Mr Brad I will swap you an equal amount of orange for some white, let me know what measurement you need and PM me an address.

Steve

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Sounds good. I just need to get all my stuff together to figure out what size I want to make. If you want, let me know the exact size(s) you want the material cut and I can cut it with a hot knife. Since the white is just regular ripstop nylon, cutting with the hot knife will keep it from fraying.

Stid2677

WKR
Ebay
Jo Ann's
Walmart

Are just a few, Kryptek sells material from their site as well.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Thanks to Steve, I whipped up a couple pouches today. One for a kill kit and another can be a little first aid pouch.

20140208_181625.jpg

blackduck889

Lil-Rokslider
I have many yards cut to length 500D cordura in foliage I would be willing to sell at a decent price. I think it is 60" or 62" PM me for details

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Thanks blackduck. I could actually use some cordura in foliage. I will shoot you a PM.

I have loads of DIY stuff.

My job throws out all kinds of stuff that I've collected over the years. Webbing, zippers, fabric, buttons, buckles, etc. I'm an active maker, but I doubt I'll use it all up before I die.

If you're a fellow maker and just need a small quantity of something, ask. More than likely just give it to you.

Reactions: rj2
6 year necropost. You were digging really deep .
I have loads of DIY stuff.

My job throws out all kinds of stuff that I've collected over the years. Webbing, zippers, fabric, buttons, buckles, etc. I'm an active maker, but I doubt I'll use it all up before I die.

If you're a fellow maker and just need a small quantity of something, ask. More than likely just give it to you.

6 year necropost. You were digging really deep .

Yup. Want to see what other makers have been up to in my absence. :)

But I've been making for a long time, and I know how hard it can be to find things, and especially things in small quantities - obscure things in small quantities even more especially. If I can help out a fellow hobbyist looking for a 6" x 6" piece of hypalon, or some sage green 3" webbing, or 1 buckle, cool. Throw the offer out there.