Diy megatarp

OP
William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you think a piece of neoprene would work for the pole reinforcement points? I have an old pair of waders that are leaking so I was thinking of just cutting them up and using a couple pieces.
I used duck clothe. You can get it at Walmart for pretty cheap.

mdoolin

FNG
Sorry for all the questions but the tie off points on the sides of the tent, what did you use? They almost look like paracord loops.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for all the questions but the tie off points on the sides of the tent, what did you use? They almost look like paracord loops.
No apology necessary, I posted it to help others.

Gutted paracord reinforced on the back side with another layer of silnylon.

SWVA_Tim

WKR
I'm getting ready to order material for a copy of this one :)

Looking at the 70D 2.2 oz HEX70 XL ripstop nylon from ripstopbythe roll ....it's heavier than some of the other materials but in the scheme of things its MUCH lighter than what I have now.

I'm thinking I'll zip in the annex .... did you all use a regular zipper or a waterproof zipper?

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm getting ready to order material for a copy of this one :)

Looking at the 70D 2.2 oz HEX70 XL ripstop nylon from ripstopbythe roll ....it's heavier than some of the other materials but in the scheme of things its MUCH lighter than what I have now.

I'm thinking I'll zip in the annex .... did you all use a regular zipper or a waterproof zipper?
You don't really need that heavy of a material but it won't hurt I guess.

I did not use waterproof zippers. However I am considering using one on the back for my next build. The front is covered by a flap so it's unnecessary.

Bkaufmann

FNG
do you have any tricks to setting up this tarp? Like what length the trekking poles should be set to?
I kinda just went out and set it up while making tons of adjustments and took me about 30 minutes to get it figured out.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
do you have any tricks to setting up this tarp? Like what length the trekking poles should be set to?
I kinda just went out and set it up while making tons of adjustments and took me about 30 minutes to get it figured out.
Best trick is have your hunting partner set it up. Ask ffparamedic lol.

Seriously though, I just basically followed Aron's instructions here:
https://youtu.be/0haAZ5UJltk

It gets a lot quicker with a few tries. I can throw one up in 5-10 min now.

Last edited:

SWVA_Tim

WKR
Live2hunt .... did you make rolled part of feld seam on inside... couldn't tell from pics? Just got my fabric in yesterday....Making a few tweaks.. I'll post pics as I can... Thanks again for showing us your skills.... hopefully mine will look half this good

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Live2hunt .... did you make rolled part of feld seam on inside... couldn't tell from pics? Just got my fabric in yesterday....Making a few tweaks.. I'll post pics as I can... Thanks again for showing us your skills.... hopefully mine will look half this good
It was on the outside for no other reason than it seemed easier that way. I don't believe it makes a difference either way.