DIY mods, projects, & gear

So with the server change, the original thread was lost, so I thought that I would revive it here. Post up pics of your DIY mods, gear, and projects.

I'll go first, these are pictures of a project I completed a couple of weeks ago. While looking around the Kifaru site, I saw a number of similarities between the cargo panel and field chair, and thought that the two could be easily combined into one. So I commenced to doing a little research, and after drawing up some plans, ordering supplies, and 3 or 4 hours of sewing, here's the results.

Kifaru's
1-Cargopanel_zps9ea535d3.jpg

Mine
5-DSCN4116_zps1ede94f0.jpg

Kifaru's
4-fieldchair2_zpse0cc8804.jpg

Mine
6-DSCN4118_zps05cdac29.jpg

Thanks for looking, can't wait to see what everyone else has done.

OP
couesbitten
So, while out hunting, I'll be able to use the "panel chair" as a chair, and then after I notch my tag, be able to use it to load up the meat, head, and hide, for the hike out.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Nice work! What size is the material on that? How long are the legs you used? Do you know the weight?
I might have to make one of those. I like the Kifaru but I want one that is lighter.

OP
couesbitten
The legs are 28.5" long. I don't have a small scale, so I had to weigh myself with and without the panel chair in hand, and the digital scale in the bathroom read 1 lb. difference. The 500D cordura, black looplocks, and a 1/2", 4 section tent pole were all purchased on ebay. The webbing and gros-grain (used for the edge binding) were purchased from Quest Outfitters, and the 3-bar sliders came from Mil-spec Monkey.

trk3263

WKR
Sweet thanks for reviving this. I noticed it missing last night after the sever transfer.

Basecamp Water and Shower

I took a $6.99 Coleman shower from Wally World and cut the tube and shower head off to connect it to my spigot cap on my MSR Domlite which heats up well in the sun. I plan to put a thermometer tape on it to have a better idea of when it is ready.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361650903.050313.jpg
You can also just buy some tubing and put a rubber end on it and use a hot needle to poke holes in the end for a shower head but I like the easy on off on the Coleman shower.

Washing Machine in the woods this one I gotta give credit to Gobbler1662

We were sick of the soft sides wash bucket always falling over and it was a single use item so we started using a 20L Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack that we already bring clothes and food in.
Just full it with some water and put your clothes and soap in and than you can close it and agitate the clothes and allow them to soak.
Works great and less weight since you already probably carry a Sil bag in.

Last edited:
I really like the field chair. Too bad you couldn't rig it to be used with some trekking poles so you didn't have to pack a separate set of poles! Good work!i think I am going to try it once I order my cargo panel.

bradb

WKR
Mine is only in the thought process as I don't have the Bikini frame yet. My current turkey vest has seen its better days and I have not found one I like to replace it with. But its front (i will call panels) which really have all the pockets I like are attached to the shoulder straps and the back of the pack by straps. So I think I can easily remove them and attach them to the bimini frame. Then I have thought about getting a cargo chair to use as the stadium chair the vest used to have. I woul like peoples thoughts on the cargo chair as a chair?? This should allow the back of the frame a good place to lash deocys, blind, bow or what ever. and of course a place to carry turkeys out on. Over kill turkey vest...sure. But would give me more use from my kifaru and allow much better carrying of all the crap I tend to take along. Hope how I said that makes sense. To bad my ship date is May 1 as I will be trying the single season slam and will be done with most of my hunts by then. Again what are the thoughts of the cargo chair as a chair? and I guess on my strange idea?

OP
couesbitten
So about two months ago I bought my son a Kryptek Gear puffy with stuff sack from Luke Moffat. When it came in the mail, I instantly had a case of puffy envy and set out to find myself one. In my search, I found out that all of the Russel Outdoor gear on the King's Outdoor website was on sale for like 50% off. I really like the King's camo patterns, and ended up buying my daughter and I each a primaloft puffy for $120 total. Got the coats, and was very happy with them, only problem was they don't come with a stuff sack, so last weekends project was to make a couple. Using the Kryptek gear sack as a model, I sewed two sacks, and was very happy with the results.

DSCN4122_zpsf5066e6f.jpg

DSCN4123_zps3ceb2c7f.jpg

DSCN4125_zps73775f32.jpg

Just a thought, if you had some Velcro attached to one trekking pole, then was able to cross it over the other, it would make a stronger point and not allow the poles to pivot.

The legs are 28.5" long. I don't have a small scale, so I had to weigh myself with and without the panel chair in hand, and the digital scale in the bathroom read 1 lb. difference. The 500D cordura, black looplocks, and a 1/2", 4 section tent pole were all purchased on ebay. The webbing and gros-grain (used for the edge binding) were purchased from Quest Outfitters, and the 3-bar sliders came from Mil-spec Monkey.

I think I would like to try making one of these. About how much did you spend if you don't mind me asking? Think I could get a copy if those plans?

OP
couesbitten
I'm guessing the actual cost of materials used is about $20-25, but I spent more than that buying some of them becasue I have other projects that I'll use the materials for. As far as plans, I winged it, started reverse enginerring the thing from what information I was able to glean from the internet. I'll PM you as much information as I can tomorrow.

I'm guessing the actual cost of materials used is about $20-25, but I spent more than that buying some of them becasue I have other projects that I'll use the materials for. As far as plans, I winged it, started reverse enginerring the thing from what information I was able to glean from the internet. I'll PM you as much information as I can tomorrow.

Thanks a ton!!! Just whenever you get a chance. No rush. I am very appreciative of your time.