DIY mountain goat help

Felix40

WKR
Im glad a couple people finally mentioned it. Moving is probably the best way to get tags you want. I moved my family to NM to be able to hunt giant bulls and sheep. It has already paid off. My plan for a billy goat is to move to AK for a couple years when I retire.

ckleeves

WKR
With the cost of apps in Colorado and Idaho your really probably better off just booking a hunt like others have said.

Let’s say you apply in both for 10 years to draw (which still is far from 100%)

With Colorado’s current fees which will probably go up in those 10 years your over 1k plus the tag @ 2200.00 ish.

Idaho will run you about 300.00 a year now with the license increase ( I think it’s going up to around 212.00) license, the app and convenience fees add up quick.

So just between the fees and the license doing those two states your gonna be in the tag over 6k in 10 years IF you draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as.ks.ak

WKR
for a couple years when I retire.

If that happens, I’d love to hear back on if you were able to move back south once you get up here.

I came up for “just a summer” 8 years ago...still here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One of my bucket list hunts is a diy mountain goat hunt. In fact, it’s sort of my Mt Everest hunt.
That said, I have no idea where to start. I have most of the gear, but I need to get some better glass. I know I can always go to Alaska or BC but that’s cost prohibitive for me, at least for the next 10 years.

Does anyone have pointers on where I should start? I’ve heard Idaho is the ‘easiest’ state to draw a tag in, but they don’t have a point system so I’d need to apply every year until it happens. Is there a better option? I’m willing to go that route if that’s what I need to do, and honestly I’d love to hunt in Idaho.

Being a non-resident (Ohio) I know that no matter what a mountain goat tag is something I’ll have to play the lottery game for a while in all likelihood.

So, enough rambling, what do you experienced goat hunters have to say?
Thanks a ton in advance.
Have you considered talking to private land owners that do guides but ask if you can hunt without any help? I just booked a guided speed goat hunt in CO for 1500$ but it covers 20,000 acres... I have heard many people allowing folks to try a diy hunt on their property without interfering with their stuff at a cheaper rate. Consider it a diy lease instead of a guided hunt. After this hunt I'll be going that route. my .02 cents.

OP
Blackhawk45hunter

Blackhawk45hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Have you considered talking to private land owners that do guides but ask if you can hunt without any help? I just booked a guided speed goat hunt in CO for 1500$ but it covers 20,000 acres... I have heard many people allowing folks to try a diy hunt on their property without interfering with their stuff at a cheaper rate. Consider it a diy lease instead of a guided hunt. After this hunt I'll be going that route. my .02 cents.

so do the landowners in CO have allocated tags to sell? My thing is drawing a tag is the biggest hurtle in the lower 48. Ive pretty much decided I’m gonna have to just finance the hunt, guided, in AK in another few years.

Your goat hunt is out of my expertise but I was just trying to look at something from a different perspective. The term diy subjective, as it is rarely a 'yourself' operation haha. Meaning, I always use my friends help through mapping, local people to point me in a direction, groups like this to give me insight so on and so forth. I can imagine a goat hunt is completely different than anything I have knowledge about but my thought was valid to me... Sometimes ya just have to bite the bullet and write a check, unfortunately.

Tbeck

FNG
Utah has a couple of archery units. I drew it last year with 12 point. Utah is a great state to apply because you could always hit the jackpot and draw the tag with little to no points.

Bighorse

WKR
Move and hunt rams too....AK is a place for everyone. When you get your son, he'll be living the dream with pops. Best wishes on you dream to hunt Mt Goats. I've shot a few...

Attachments

• foster pics 182.JPG
    foster pics 182.JPG
    293 KB · Views: 49
  • foster pics 480.JPG
    foster pics 480.JPG
    356.4 KB · Views: 48

Cowboythunder

Lil-Rokslider
so do the landowners in CO have allocated tags to sell? My thing is drawing a tag is the biggest hurtle in the lower 48. Ive pretty much decided I’m gonna have to just finance the hunt, guided, in AK in another few years.

Most if not all goats in Colorado are on public land... Never heard of a landowner voucher for goats. Keep accumulating points and applying in the highest probability units... while saving for Alaska in the meantime