DIY mountain goat help

Blackhawk45hunter

Lil-Rokslider
One of my bucket list hunts is a diy mountain goat hunt. In fact, it’s sort of my Mt Everest hunt.
That said, I have no idea where to start. I have most of the gear, but I need to get some better glass. I know I can always go to Alaska or BC but that’s cost prohibitive for me, at least for the next 10 years.

Does anyone have pointers on where I should start? I’ve heard Idaho is the ‘easiest’ state to draw a tag in, but they don’t have a point system so I’d need to apply every year until it happens. Is there a better option? I’m willing to go that route if that’s what I need to do, and honestly I’d love to hunt in Idaho.

Being a non-resident (Ohio) I know that no matter what a mountain goat tag is something I’ll have to play the lottery game for a while in all likelihood.

So, enough rambling, what do you experienced goat hunters have to say?
Thanks a ton in advance.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wyoming has a new over the counter mountain goat tag it's in the wilderness area so you'll need a guide and some luck.

Other than that there is no short cuts to getting a tag that doesn't include a fat check and if there was other ways no one would share them on the internet.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Blackhawk45hunter

Blackhawk45hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Wyoming has a new over the counter mountain goat tag it's in the wilderness area so you'll need a guide and some luck.

Other than that there is no short cuts to getting a tag that doesn't include a fat check and if there was other ways no one would share them on the internet.

Haha I realize that. I’m not looking for a fast or easy way into drawing. I’m just looking for pointers on draw strategies, and maybe a general direction on what a good state to focus on would be.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Utah has awesome mountain goat hunting fairly cheap to apply could draw your first year applying if your that kind of luckily. Could do a hunt diy here for sure. Good luck

If I was starting from scratch and my goal was to hunt Mountain Goats, I'd find a way to hunt them and not play the lottery in the L48 unless I didn't care if it took 10-20 years to realize that dream. With that, I'd look into guided options in Alaska, Kodiak likely being the cheapest route. I'd start saving some money immediately, around $2K. Then I'd compile a list of reputable outfitters and contact them. Once I had one picked I'd try to work out a deal to book 2-3 years in advance, lay down an initial deposit of the $2K you saved and then make payments over the next few years leading up to the hunt. If you make a few sacrifices in your life, this can be achieved at nearly all levels of annual income.

Personally, I'd never bank on winning a lottery (tag) to realize a dream, I'd do everything within my power to make it happen without relying on a game of chance.

Best of luck to you, harvesting a Mountain Goat by any means is a very rewarding experience and I hope you are able to figure something out.

Colorado's tag number has increased dramatically over the last decade or so. I'd still say it would likely be a 5-10 year wait, depending on what unit you are trying for. I'm not sure what the rules are in BC, but in Alaska you won't be able to DIY goat unless you are a resident or have a close relative being your "guide".

Flojoe

FNG
I’d also suggest saving your money for a guided hunt. You may likely pay as much in lottery game by time you draw than you would have to just save the money for a guided hunt.

Goats are awesome and I wish you luck!

204guy

WKR
Point of clarification there is no OTC goat tag in Wyoming. There where some population reduction hunts this year with better odds. They're closer to a MT unlimited tag than a normal goat tag though.

Dont mean to be a downer, but the reality is, statistically the odds are better that you will never draw a L48 goat tag than that you will, and that's applying in all states with a nr tag. There is no 5 or 10 yr plan. There's no state to focus on. There's just <3% odds (at the very best) in nearly every unit in every state.
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As an MT resident who has killed a goat here, I’d recommend against trying to apply here for reasons others have hinted at above. Goat numbers here have been slowly declining over the last decade, mostly due to overharvest in general in some hd’s, combined with killing nannies. In fact, where goats are endemic in MT, their numbers are not great. And where they have been transplanted, they are also slowly declining. That, coupled with the high unlikelihood of drawing a tag, further warrants just starting to save cash to buy a hunt in 5 years up in AK. More goats, easier tags, better goats, better hunting. Good luck!

One of my bucket list hunts is a diy mountain goat hunt. In fact, it’s sort of my Mt Everest hunt.
That said, I have no idea where to start. I have most of the gear, but I need to get some better glass. I know I can always go to Alaska or BC but that’s cost prohibitive for me, at least for the next 10 years.

Does anyone have pointers on where I should start? I’ve heard Idaho is the ‘easiest’ state to draw a tag in, but they don’t have a point system so I’d need to apply every year until it happens. Is there a better option? I’m willing to go that route if that’s what I need to do, and honestly I’d love to hunt in Idaho.

Being a non-resident (Ohio) I know that no matter what a mountain goat tag is something I’ll have to play the lottery game for a while in all likelihood.

So, enough rambling, what do you experienced goat hunters have to say?
Thanks a ton in advance.

I can’t speak for the lesser 48, but a diy non-res goat hunt in AK isn’t happening unless you have at least a second degree of kindred, resident, relative that will hunt with you, and there’s no diy in Canada at all as a US citizen. I would recommend what Nick said, and save your $$ to do a guided hunt on Kodiak. You can always put in for draw tags at $5 a piece, with a couple of them having really good odds (like 25%), and they also have really good numbers of animals. Obviously you’ll still need a guide, so it’s not a diy, but you’ll be pretty much guaranteed to get a goat.

PMcGee

WKR
If I was starting from scratch and my goal was to hunt Mountain Goats, I'd find a way to hunt them and not play the lottery in the L48 unless I didn't care if it took 10-20 years to realize that dream. With that, I'd look into guided options in Alaska, Kodiak likely being the cheapest route. I'd start saving some money immediately, around $2K. Then I'd compile a list of reputable outfitters and contact them. Once I had one picked I'd try to work out a deal to book 2-3 years in advance, lay down an initial deposit of the $2K you saved and then make payments over the next few years leading up to the hunt. If you make a few sacrifices in your life, this can be achieved at nearly all levels of annual income.

Personally, I'd never bank on winning a lottery (tag) to realize a dream, I'd do everything within my power to make it happen without relying on a game of chance.

Best of luck to you, harvesting a Mountain Goat by any means is a very rewarding experience and I hope you are able to figure something out.

Nick what are some good outfitters to look into on Kodiak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jimss

WKR
Draw odds in just about every Western state for billy tags is usually less than 2% so your odds of drawing a tag in your lifetime are dismal at best. There are far more nonres goat applicants joining the pool every year than tags issued so your odds are getting worse and worse by the year. It also costs from $50 to $100+/year to apply in most states. The price just for a nonres tag is usually $1,000 to $1,500+ and going up every few years.

Here in Colo you don't have a chance to draw a nonres tag until you have 3 pref pts....and it currently costs over $100/year to apply plus buy a hunting license of some kind. There is no guarantee the price to apply plus the price of the actual tag will increase the next 10 years.

Another option may be to apply for a nanny tag....but nonres nanny draw odds are getting horrible as well.

With the price of applying in multiple states (to increase your odds of ever drawing a tag)......plus the actual cost of an tag...…. you can likely go on a "for sure" mtn goat hunt in BC or Alaska. I am slowly but surely dropping out of more and more nonres big game draws.....especially the ones that are expensive to apply with virtually 0 chance to draw. I would much rather put my hard earned cash towards trips I can enjoy!

With that said, since you are starting off at square 1 with 0 pref pts there aren't many options. Idaho and Wyo mtn goat don't have pref/bonus pts so your draw odds are just as good as any other nonres. If my memory is correct, the unfortunate thing with Idaho is they treat nonres like garbage. They may not even give nonres tags in a given year. You may want to check into their draw system before applying....It's also mighty expensive to apply with dismal draw odds...especially for nonres.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
If cost is factor then you way better off booking a hunt. Drawing a lover 48 goat tag as non resident will bleed you slowly without an guarantee that you ever draw.

Scape up a deposit and book an hunt.

Jimss

WKR
Also, if you have a chunk saved up and can go in relatively short notice you may be able to save a chunk of change by contacting some of the better outfitters in the areas you would like to hunt and tell them you are interested in a cancellation hunt.

Jimbob

WKR
If you really want DIY then you need to move. I thought sheep and goats were NEVER going to happen for me because I lived in Ontario and had an average salary. I moved my family to BC and now my hunting dreams have been realized and there is still so much more to do. Best decision of our lives.

Having said that, moving has more benefits than just hunting. I would not move my family across the country just for my own hunting dreams.

Kylep0801

FNG

I’ve called game and fish about this tag they tell me otherwise. Is there any way you could pm me and tell me about it. Im a resident no guide needed and goat is top on my list. Thanks for any info

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve called game and fish about this tag they tell me otherwise. Is there any way you could pm me and tell me about it. Im a resident no guide needed and goat is top on my list. Thanks for any info
Originally they talked of an unlimited hunt but looks like they ended up not doing it.
37a9b94e345cbf207436a337cf1f04fc.jpg

Schism

WKR
Is moving to Alaska an option? Seems to be the “easiest” way to accomplish a DIY mountain goat hunt.