DIY mountain lion hunt

I'm looking to do a diy mountain lion hunt with the bow. I have yet not decided on the state but I was curious to know if anyone had information on a contact with dogs that I can possibly pay direct instead of $5-$6500 to an outfitter

I have hounds, here's my two cents:
Nobody with dogs wants to take you just for kicks. It takes years and countless hours and dollars to build a consistent, reliable pack of dogs. We really don't like killing lions, and without a bunch of cash involved harvests are reserved for close friends and family only. Nobody is giving you a freebie just to be nice. We'd rather leave another lion on the mountain to chase again.
If you do find someone that wants to kill one just for kicks, they are probably a redneck half-baked houndsmen with half-baked snow lion dogs that couldn't reliably catch a house cat.
Welcome, but Trial is right. Your first post sucks.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Jardo

WKR
So, you want a DIY (do it yourself) but you want someone to help you with the dogs. Hmmm.

I went to a Restaraunt last night and ordered a salad but asked for a ribeye steak on it rather than ranch dressing. That damn waiter said no... I can’t seem to figure out why.

I agree with the others, your first post sucks balls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22lr

WKR
I definitely read this as the OP was just looking for someone with dogs of a full out guide service. Not as in him asking for free dogs. What are you guys seeing that im not? :)

You can probably find someone with dogs to do what your looking for. But as mentioned above, your probably going to find better dogs with a full guide service or established outfitter. The quality of the dogs will play a huge part in your success. If your willing to roll the dice it could be worth trying, but go into it with low expectations. If you really want to get a cat, this is not a good plan.

*Caveat* There are states where just giving a "friend" some food and gas money for going on a hunting trip can equal major trouble. Just make sure you read up and fully understand the regs. Do not take a gamble, if you do not fully understand the regs dont even try it. You could end up with a very expensive fine and lose all your gear/truck.

Better bet, see if there is an outfitter that will pare down the offering to be more inline with a DIY style trip. So maybe no days in the lodge or cabin, you provide all your meals, you take care of the cat afterwards. But that's usually a part of the business model so don't be too offended to not get a huge price break or a no. Also, don't ask to just sleep in your truck on their property, most outfits consider that bad business aesthetics for the other paying customers. So if you go this route, do it right, respect the agreement you come up with and dont be offended or suprised if they dont bite.

Trial153

WKR
Sorry, but I kind of like the post. I had the same question. I guess you can't get a lion without the $6k?
Yea, you can go buy, keep, train a pack yourself.
Or you can come on a site like this and ask strangers if they know anyone that you can leech off of for cut rate price so you can kill a cat on the cheap.

Coues123

FNG
Most lion hunters I know pay way more for their dogs than the stock they hunt them on. Many buy around a ton of feed a month year round. I have several good friends I have known for years and while I bring my own riding animal have never asked to kill a lion on a hunt. If you enjoy dogs on a hunt their is not much better to watch than a pack of hounds trail a lion.

Spoonbill

WKR
Sorry, but I kind of like the post. I had the same question. I guess you can't get a lion without the $6k?
You can get a lion without paying 6k, just not likely without dogs, or knowing someone with dogs. Most western states have otc lion tags, just low chance you will see one and get a shot.
Another issue is (as some people have said) is dogs cost money. There is the operating cost of feeding the dog, vet bills etc, on top of the time it takes to train a dog. Add to that you are trusting a random stranger to not screw up and get your dog killed.
A second option is to get your own pack of hounds. Thats a hell of a lot more than 6 grand though

Last edited: