DIY NC/VA Bear hunt for December

Kicking around the idea of heading to NC or VA for a December spot and stalk bear hunt. Anyone else planning a trip that way interested in sharing a camp site/notes?

I'm pretty open on dates right now. I have a few locations I'm interested in but open to others as well. I live in SC so both states are a reasonable car ride.

Let me know.

Depends on where you would be headed but if your in the western part of VA in December you will have hounds all over public land. Guys take that stuff serious. The bear get run pretty hard. Just be aware of that.

OP
M
Well, that certainly narrows things down for me. Western NC mountains sounding better and better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the coast they get good sized..state record is 880#...it was killed on hound hunt on the coast in the late 90s...last time I checked numbers there were still more black bears than people in some of the coastal counties.

Id love to go hunt somewhere like north carolina or pennsylvania that has giant blackies some day. Pretty far to travel from washington state though. I do have a good friend that lives in pa, so i might look into it at some point.

Michael54

WKR
Pa has some big ones in the duboise area and surrounding the landfills. There was a 780 pounder taken about 20 miles from my house 3 years ago. Bears for the moat part get minimal pressure here until rifle season from what i see generally

Pa has some big ones in the duboise area and surrounding the landfills. There was a 780 pounder taken about 20 miles from my house 3 years ago. Bears for the moat part get minimal pressure here until rifle season from what i see generally
Id look it up myself but im on terrible slow satellite wifi right now. When do bear seasons run in pa? Any otc spring seasons?

Michael54

WKR
Thing is a spot and stalk around here for whitetail is practically impossible. Let alone a bear. Most sucessful guys at the bear check stations are in large groups. "Pushers and shooters"

Wow, those are some crappy season dates. Screw that. I wouldnt be interested in a drive, i like calling. But with those season dates screw it. Thats whitetail time here at home. Thanks for posting that up anyway.

Michael54

WKR
Wow, those are some crappy season dates. Screw that. I wouldnt be interested in a drive, i like calling. But with those season dates screw it. Thats whitetail time here at home. Thanks for posting that up anyway.
Yea the people here hunt them hardcore in groups. I dont know of anyone that has killed one by theirself

Lowg08

WKR
My buddy killed one this year bow hunting but yea spot and stalk here is not a good plan.