DIY NM Aoudad hunt need advice

The OTC hunt is rough flat out. Absolutely a luck and work hunt. You can work your butt off for multiple days and not see anything. Then you'll go back one day and see 20 or so. I have friends with trail cameras up there and they have consistent pictures of sheep. They're around but they're super nomadic so you have to just be in the right place at the right time. As far as the draw units, you can find many general areas around on certain forums and work from there. They are a super nomadic animal so just because you see sheep in one spot one day does not mean they will even be there the next day. The big rams can be hard to find and they know where to hide. If you are just looking to shoot a sheep, it is a fun hunt and is still difficult but very doable. If you are looking to shoot a big ram, you either need to be prepared to hunt/scout multiple days to find where the big rams hang out and then go hunt them, or you need to do a guided hunt in NM or TX. Some amazing guys around in the state that kill big sheep every single year with clients. I know of multiple rams this year eclipsing the 32" mark on both public and private land. Including one sheep that is Number 2 in NM at 34 6/8 on one side. People have gotten much better at hunting them, but they still have no knocked the population back so they're around to be had. PM me if you need guide information.

NMYeti

FNG
Metzger let me tell you something brotha I asked for help on this forum for the same thing . I ran in to some people like everyone says they won’t give up any spot and some that just said you have to get out there and look I just wanted a general area . I also was told I need the biggest and best of optics . Yes I fairly good optics but I’m a strong believer On having really really good scope . You are going to shoot long range . if you are still interested in it for this upcoming hunting season pm me I’ll give you some pointers . We are suppose to be here to help our fellow hunters . If we can’t stand together here as a big family Then why put in your 2 sense . I’ll give you a hand
Hey guys, I’m new to the Rok here but if you need some info still on Barbary sheep..let’s talk.

Txraider

FNG
Hunted OTC close to Alamogordo NM last year and had a blast doing it despite not seeing any sheep for 4 days. Headed back in March to try and fill the same tag. Having a good friend to help/hunt with you makes the trip that much more worth it.

Hunted OTC close to Alamogordo NM last year and had a blast doing it despite not seeing any sheep for 4 days. Headed back in March to try and fill the same tag. Having a good friend to help/hunt with you makes the trip that much more worth it.
Very true specially when you have to pack it out.

Archy11

FNG
Hey guys, I’m new to the Rok here but if you need some info still on Barbary sheep..let’s talk.
NMYeti, I'm new to Rok as well. I have a OTC spot for smaller rams and ewes but still haven't found the OTC sanctuary for big rams. Let's talk

NMYeti, I'm new to Rok as well. I have a OTC spot for smaller rams and ewes but still haven't found the OTC sanctuary for big rams. Let's talk
Archy11 I am coming down from Montana in a couple of weeks to hunt them for a week. Any advice would be awesome. You can message me if you would rather. Thanks.

Archy11

FNG
Archy11 I am coming down from Montana in a couple of weeks to hunt them for a week. Any advice would be awesome. You can message me if you would rather. Thanks.
Antilapreston, I'm unable to use messaging on here due to being new but you can email me at darchuleta_11@yahoo

wyosteve

WKR
I just got back from a West Texas hunt. The biggest thing that stuck out to me is how difficult they can be to spot in that big country. I made the mistake of not taking my spotting scope. With 10x EL's at 1100 yds., the sheep look like ants on the hillside. Really takes time to orient their size to the scale of the mountains.

spectrum

Lil-Rokslider
Hello NMYeti, just found out I drew 32,34,36,and 37 Barbary in December and was wondering if you would be interested in helping a fellow hunter out. I've hunted Coues forever in Arizona as well as elk and all the other species and could help you out if your interested in hunting here. Cant draw an AZ Bighorn tag and I have 30 points .
Thanks

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello NMYeti, just found out I drew 32,34,36,and 37 Barbary in December and was wondering if you would be interested in helping a fellow hunter out. I've hunted Coues forever in Arizona as well as elk and all the other species and could help you out if your interested in hunting here. Cant draw an AZ Bighorn tag and I have 30 points .
Thanks
Pump your post numbers up and then pm me as I'm interested in cashing in for a coues deer soon.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

spectrum

Lil-Rokslider
Pump your post numbers up and then pm me as I'm interested in cashing in for a coues deer soon.

Yeah I know my posts are lagging, just don't have the time to get on sites and post a lot, I'm not that big of a poster on any sites really, and come to think of it I'm not much of a talker either unless its a subject that really interests me. I find it more entertaining to listen. I'm always willing to help though and will tell anyone interested what I know about Coues, units, areas, tactics. I've shot around 30 of them 3 from a tree stand. Guided for them for a little while years ago but it conflicted with my military job and family life so I stopped.

My brother and I are beginning to plan a unit 34 Aoudad hunt (got a family house to stay in). What's a typical shot range like in the western half of 34? Is there a new Mexico thread or board I could move this to?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My brother and I are beginning to plan a unit 34 Aoudad hunt (got a family house to stay in). What's a typical shot range like in the western half of 34? Is there a new Mexico thread or board I could move this to?
Some folks have taken them with pistols/bows but generally you're not going to get that close unless you know their route and ambush. Spot stalk is gonna be further. How far? How far can you shoot well/ethically? There and inwards should be expected, it just reduces closing the distance which at times is extremely difficult due to cliffs, etc. Anything under your maximum range is a perk. Generally speaking for open terrain western hunting I'd say your options are better if you are a good/ethical shooter to 500yd at least (always close in if you can obviously) and you're handicapping yourself in many situations if you're only good for a couple hundred yards.

From what I've seen it's not really open country. The terrain around the house (eastern half of 34) is pine forest, but I haven't really hiked around the western half of the unit. The parts I've seen you'd be very hard pressed to get out to that distance. I'm guessing based on satellite that Lincoln National Forest is pretty consistent until you come down towards Alamogordo but I don't know for sure, that's what I'm hoping to find out. My brother has an old .300 Sav that's going to run out of juice pretty quickly.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
From what I've seen it's not really open country. The terrain around the house (eastern half of 34) is pine forest, but I haven't really hiked around the western half of the unit. The parts I've seen you'd be very hard pressed to get out to that distance. I'm guessing based on satellite that Lincoln National Forest is pretty consistent until you come down towards Alamogordo but I don't know for sure, that's what I'm hoping to find out. My brother has an old .300 Sav that's going to run out of juice pretty quickly.

They're in/around the cliffs, at least that's where everyone hunts them that I'm aware of. Maybe some are wandering around the national forest but I'm not familiar.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Western 34 is on the military base

FlyGuy

WKR

In my experience, You won’t find them in the Western portion of 34 until you get out to the sheer cliffs in the OTC area near Gordo, which is wide open (and fairly scary) terrain. I’d be prepared for a 5-600 yard shot, though you can find yourself in bow range occasionally. They don’t like trees AT ALL. They like to see for miles.

81f364855cd5bf1067ff8ef863985e4e.jpg

1a90a45304919ebdf4c40f6ccb22a71e.jpg

bb2470ce1977f3762a782759f8c9eb65.jpg

569ec1de0c4006a02fdfb9761134081b.jpg

cd3740e715bb495c7ee89f373d2faf95.jpg

12fb14660e646129a97c262a4bfbdb8b.jpg

1ccd35a2804fd3952c3c97686d2a3e18.jpg

a6e4a0593f1393fe41312b4f8d4f5270.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
^^^ What he said, be safe. ;)

You can hunt from below or above, pros and cons, its like a hour drive to loop around. The upper road gets snotty if its snowy/rainy up there recently.

Bring tweezers... EVERYTHING is staby/pokey.