DIY Out if country

DG1

FNG
I've hunted all over the US for many different species. I've had some good success on my own. I went on 1 outfitted hunt and hated it. There's nothing wrong with them but I just like to do things my way even if it means eating a tag sandwich. Does anyone know of any good hunts out of the country that a guy can do on his own or with a modest trespassing fee? It's tough to decipher regulations everywhere but any suggestions on cool hunts that don't cost $10k

OP
D

DG1

FNG
Is DIY red star hunting legal there? I'm assuming it is since u mentioned it. That would be cool if so

Dinger

WKR
Free range wildernesss hunt Sambar in Victoria Australia......No tags, no season restrictions other than the weather (forget summertime!), no bag limits and minimal licence fee. Any one in the US considering this I'm happy to help with general area guidance and detailed logistics advice etc

If you are a western hunter you'll likely be geared for anything you'll encounter after Sambar down here.

Jeremy11

FNG
You need a permit to hunt public land in NZ but it's free of charge atm and available to anyone from the Dept of Conservation, DOC. Check their website. There is info on areas to hunt and species in those areas.

Second vote for NZ. Covered up in big game animals. Go to the South Island for stag, chamois, and Tahr. Don’t set your expectations by the roided out half pets you see on all the hunting shows. BTW helicopter rides under 1hr are ~$600 for both ways, can seat 3-4 guys including pilots

NZ or Australia -

NZ - Free license, big hunting culture and a massive variety of species to hunt. Great alpine country, easy transportation of fireearms.

Australia - Victoria is a great state for hunting. Cheap over the counter license. 4 different hunt-able deer species with no limits or tags (as per NZ). With some amazing wildness and one of the more elusive and arguably harder to hunt deer - Sambar.

Dinger

WKR
What are the rules for firearms in NZ? That hunt is on my short list

Very straight forward and easy in my experience, just do everything asked of you and it is plain sailing.

You will need to pay more attention to making sure your hunting gear is spotlessly clean prior to entry, they take bio security extremely seriously in NZ. No dirt, seeds, evidence of animals bits etc.... Customs will enthusiastically pull your tents out to inspect every inch if they get a sniff of 'dirty' kit.

If you can fly with Air NZ, their staff actually know their policies with respect to air carriage of firearms. The rest can be hit & miss which causes some angst. Travel with hard copies of the airline policies, it can save a whole lot of hassle and bruised ego's if you politely show them the rules you are following ie theirs.

Keep an eye on the policy your airline has for carriage of trophies, some have them have declared they do not carry 'trophies'. If you can pack it in your checked luggage than I recommend that, you then only have to deal with the customs policies/arrangements at your destination country.

If you are after Tahr then you may have to organise a certificate of origin before you leave NZ. They are on the IUCN Red List as near threatened in their native home range. I have no idea if needed for US entry.....might be handy if transiting through other countries.

Customs in Australia can be a touch more challenging for firearms. I've had a few mates that have brought rifles from Australia to NZ with no problems in NZ only to have issues when reentering their own country.

Thanks for the info. What do you recommend to hunt in NZ? For the highest chance of DIY success? Tahr, chamois? Or deer? Goats? How about time of year? Which month? Thanks for any advice.

I have been to Victoria and hunted Sambar, was lucky that my parents were living there for a couple years and was able to find a local hunter I went with and borrowed the rifle.

977059C4-B945-4DBF-BD4A-9CB09FE81B7C.jpeg

Nice Sambar!
I lived in NZ but haven't hunted there. I have spent a lot of time in the bush though. It depends on what sort of hunt you are after. Species and numbers can be quite abundant depending on where you go. You'll find goats everywhere, but to me I think it would be a long way to fly to go on a goat hunt.

For me hunting can be as much about the area, experience and environment as it is the challenge of outwitting an animal for the best meat I can get. If I was travelling half way around the world I'd think experience and environment is a big priority. My interest in NZ would be.....

Wapiti in Fiordland - I've had a handful of trips here and its the purest and one of the most inspiring environments I've ever been in.

West coast Tahr/Chamois - Super wild - Alps coming right to the ocean.

East Coast Tahr. - Often overlooked but getting deep in the mountains on the east coast is an amazing experience, which although not as rugged as the west coast has more stable weather and probably less pressure. Have a look at the Garden of Eden at the head of the Rangitata to get an idea of what you're in for.

Whitetails on Stewart Island - May not be quite a priority when they are native to the US but Stewart Island is fantastic, and the options for world class fishing might be a big drawcard

Jeremy11

FNG
Join a hunting forum in NZ. fishnhunt.co.nz is one. Members will give a lot of info and probably offer to take you hunting if you come across as a good guy (which I'm sure you are) You might offer to swap a hunt where-ever you are based.