DIY pillar bedding

Well I just bought a brand new McMillan and it doesn't come with factory installed pillars. Any tips on doing the pillar bedding yourself? I’ve done half a dozen skim bedding jobs and feel comfortable with those but installing pillars is a new one for me.
Should I get adjustable pillars or pre cut? I’m looking at the Score Hi kit or the Bed Head kit from Ernies.
The holes are 5/8, would 1/2 inch or 9/16 pillars be better? Or does it not matter?
Do I install the pillars first then glass bed as a second step or can I do it all at once?
I’ve watched a couple videos on how to, but watching Larry potterfield do a bedding job in 4 minutes isn’t particularly helpful.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Personally, I would read Mcmillan's explanation for why they don't pillar bed before doing it. I don't own a Mcmillan, but when I eventually get one I will not be pillar bedding it.

OP
CApighunter
Personally, I would read Mcmillan's explanation for why they don't pillar bed before doing it. I don't own a Mcmillan, but when I eventually get one I will not be pillar bedding it.

I’ve read that but every McMillan I’ve owned before came with pillars installed from the factory. The stock is cut for pillars but they haven’t been installed. Basically I got it super cheap as a stock someone had ordered and then canceled. Just so happened to meet my exact specs and with no wait time it was a no brainer.

tdot

WKR

McMillan pillar beds their stocks, there is just a thin layer of bedding material between their pillars and the action.

I personally prefer their method to just about any other system.

JGuest

FNG
I've pillar bedded several stocks, around 7 or 8, myself. It can be tricky, but almost always improves accuracy. Wood or laminate stocks are easier to work with. Composites and FG stocks can be really challenging.

I won't go into my process because there are a ton of resources out there on how to bed. I also don't suggest bedding something on your own if you aren't confident or don't want to try and salvage a botched bedding job.

As far as pillar size goes, I personally have used all sizes and had similar results across the board. I am also not what I would consider enough of a shooter to be able to tell the difference. In most of my bedding jobs I try to do the pillars and action bedding at the same time. Those rifles have always turned out better for me, and the bedding always looks cleaner if done all at once.

Stay away from bedding videos, I learned most of my bedding technique from the Rimfire Central Forum. Those guys are intense about their bedding work.