DIY poor mans kifarwho

WoodBow

WKR
DIY poor mans kifarwho UPDATE w cargo panel

I wanted to to upgrade my pack for this years elk trip and was pretty dead set on a kifaru. I researched them to death and had settled on a duplex frame. I am a DIY'er in as much as reasonably possible. I am also a tight wad. The plan was to spend the dough for the frame and then make a bag. I figured the frame was the important part. However, as time went on, I didn't really have the extra cash to throw around and it pains me to spend that kind of money anyways. So then I really went nuts and decided I would make the entire thing, in a heavily kifaru inspired configuration. I researched this and there just is not a lot of info out there about full blown pack builds. What I found was very homemade looking. Im not interested in something that looks like I made it. It should look as professional as possible. Building an entire pack from scratch would take a lot of time and planning. Hmmmm. Well I do have an ILBE main pack that I have used the last 2 years with no major complaints. And it does just happen to have a lot of useful quality components. I just really like the modularity and meat packing ability of the kifaru frame. Thus the planning began.

I removed all of the parts I could that are designed to be removable. Belt, shoulder straps, stays, etc. Spent a few days staring at the parts and thinking before crossing the point of no return and ruining a good pack. I do a fair amount of wood work and when I'm working on a project sometimes thinking just doesn't get it done. Sometimes I just have to start making saw dust and just let the build happen. Same thing here. I finally had to break is out the seam ripper and go to town.
6212015152032[1].jpg

We are firmly committed at this point. Cannibalized the crazy amount of buckles off the pack
6212015152319[1].jpg

A lot of the pieces like the lumbar pad and back pad were sewn into the seam of the bag. Therefore I had to add material to them to allow them to attach to an external frame.
6212015152446[1].jpg

I copied kifaru's design and added an aluminum crossbar to the stays to allow me to attach the lumbar pad. I drilled and taped the stays and countersunk the holes in the brace.
621201515277[1].jpg

Last edited:
OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
Now I needed a housing for the stays that would also serve as an attachment point for loops and the frame sheet. I accomplished this using 2" seat belt material. Heavier than necessary but I wanted this strong since it is a critical element. Originally I planned to get in touch with someone who has a kifaru and copy the lay out. However I ended up just making sure I had plenty of attachment points. Molle seemed like the best way to accomplish this. All of the webbing was also scavenged off of the pack.
6212015153218[1].jpg

I looked at buying the slotted buckles to go on the molle but once again being cheap one out and I took the bandsaw to the free buckles off the ILBE.
621201515331[1].jpg

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
I ended up sewing the load lifter buckles in but the rest I made to be removable.
6212015153319[1].jpg

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
At this point I needed a heavier duty sewing machine. I had been using an old Montgomery ward machine that used to be my moms. It didn't even like sewing the webbing together so I knew it certainly wouldn't sew through 2 layers of seat belt, 2 layers of webbing, and the hdpe frame sheet.

I combed craigslist and trading posts of facebook looking for a industrial machine for a bargain. I remembered knife maker friend of mine had an old machine in his shop. I never paid much attention to it because I didn't need one at the time. I stopped by and talked to him and he said I could HAVE it! Mega score. It was not operational and would need some love. I took it home and got to to work. This is not the first time that one of my projects grew a project. Quite the habit of mine. It is a singer 111w153. A well reviewed walking foot and walking needle sewing machine likely made in the 40s. It needed a timing belt and some missing screws. The needles also wouldn't go into the needle bar for some reason. I ordered the parts online (surprisingly available) and got to work when I got them in. I did a good bit of research about this machine online while waiting for parts. This lead me to many sewing forums and people in my predicament with a machine they know little to nothing about. It really irritated me to hear every single response tell them to take it to a machine mechanic and get them to go over the machine and do everything for you because you don't know what you are doing and they do. Well I'm just not the type of guy who pays people to do something that I feel capable of figuring out. I downloaded the manual online for free. Being made in the 40s when americans had a set of nuts, it actually tells you how to do most of what those wieners were relying on a mechanic to do, like set the timing. I got all the parts on and had to figure out how to remove the needle bar. Got it figured out eventually and found there was a tiny burr inside the hole caused by were the set screw comes in. With the tight tolerance of the hole, it was enough to stop the needle from entering. I used the appropriate sized drill bit and removed the burr. Good as new. Reinstalled that and started working on the timing. Timing is very criticial. If the hook does not cross the throat of the needle at just the right time and depth, it simply will not work. As long as you know what you are trying to accomplish, it is not that hard to figure out the necessary adjustments. It was more complicated that it would have been because I had to remove timed parts to remove the needle bar. Got it all figured out and she sews! Crazy smooth and powerful. Way too fast for my liking and skill set but I just tried to control it as much as possible. A servo motor would be nice.
621201515320[1].jpg

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
Here is a mock up of the parts. I modified the load lifter loops after this so that they were shorter and the buckles were sewn on. 6212015153356[1].jpg

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
I made some "wings" for the back pad with Velcro on them and sewed Velcro to the frame sheet to attach it. No pics of that.

Time for the serious sewing. To make things less cumbersome, I folded the 3" pieces of webbing for the loops in half and tacked the ends with a drop of super glue. I then tacked them into the seam of the stay sleeves using the same method. Then just ran a multiple seams down the side of the sleeves and though the frame sheet.

And just like that it was all of a sudden a functional pack.
6212015155721[1].jpg

A little sweaty after a 1 mile test run. It is hot down here.
6212015155747[1].jpg

621201515585[1].jpg

A handle was later added to the top. I meant to sew it into the seam of the sleeves but I forgot.

6212015155831[1].jpg

I have cordura on the way and I picked up some good webbing at the surplus store today. I will be constructing a bag and a cargo panel when they come in. I will add them this thread. The bag will be super simple. No pockets or zippers. I may make pullouts.

I should mention that I heavily modified the stays to best fit my back. Using the test kifaru uses, does not indicate I have a flat back. But I just do not have a butt. There is nothing for the pack to sit on until it is way too far down my back. I took the frame for a 5 mile climb (1600 feet of climbing, best I can do down here) carrying a 45# bumper plate and 3 liters of water in a camelback pack. The versatility of the frame was evident by the ease of attaching those items with only 3 straps and they never moved. I was very pleased with its performance overall. I would like longer stays. These are only like 22 inches I think. They can only function in a limited capacity. I think heavier stays like kifaru uses would be beneficial as well. I will likely make composite stays at some point. The lumbar pad wasn't engaging my back nearly enough. All of the weight was on my hips. This did not prove to be a problem but I feel like it could be better. I actually made an entire new lumbar pad that was thicker and though it functioned and fit well, I just wasn't happy with the look. Then I had the bright Idea to just add foam behind the current pad. I have not tested it since but we are planning on doing a ruck tomorrow.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
How do I post pics full size instead of thumbnails? That's pretty annoying.

colonel00

WKR
How do I post pics full size instead of thumbnails? That's pretty annoying.

Best way is to use a photo hosting site like photobucket or google+ or whatever. Then you just link the photos and they show up larger.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
Best way is to use a photo hosting site like photobucket or google+ or whatever. Then you just link the photos and they show up larger.

Gotcha. I am familiar with that process. Just new here and thought there might be another way. I might go back and modified them at some point. Thanks.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR

Gotcha. I am familiar with that process. Just new here and thought there might be another way. I might go back and modified them at some point. Thanks.

My hat is off to you.

If I dove into this and figured that my labor was worth $1.50 an hour... with materials and labor, I'd end up with a $1500.00 home made belt and suspension with crappy stitching. And I'd have put a needle through at least one digit.

Good job!

WoodsWalker270

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome work WoodBow! I had to laugh at your slotted buckles because I did the same thing when I took the scalpel to my ILBE. I did not do any sewing, but ended up removing about 3 pounds from the pack. Looking forward to seeing your finished product!

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
I agree. I'd be better off mowing yards to save up for the real thing.

You certainly have to enjoy the process. I like the planning stage more than anything. Just trying to figure out how to accomplish something. I call that the staring stage. I just have to stare at it until i come up with a solution. I will likely buy a kifaru one day. I like their product and what i know about them as a whole. I just have more time than money right now and i just love to diy. Will also be using a tarp and UQ i made this year.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Welcome to the ILBE Brotherhood. Also using an ILBE this year. I didnt get crazy like you did but I did tailor mine down a bit took some weight off of it and dropped 2.5 lbs. Its now right around 7pound pack. Also grabbed a HPG Priarie belt and used that with it now I have a very comfortable pack that is working well for me. Huge props to you and your ambition. If the ILBE Belt gets to be annoying try out the HPG prairie Belt.

http://jungletraining.com/forums/showthread.php?43692-ILBE-Frankenpack&highlight=ILBE