DIY Press Drawings/PDF?

I haven't gotten there yet, but I planned on posting a full drawing set after verifying it fits with my Elite Kure.
It may be a while, so don't hold your breath!
In the mean time, I'm certainly interested to see what others have come up with as well.

Here's a quick render of my progress.
BowPress v5.png

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
I haven't gotten there yet, but I planned on posting a full drawing set after verifying it fits with my Elite Kure.
It may be a while, so don't hold your breath!
In the mean time, I'm certainly interested to see what others have come up with as well.

Here's a quick render of my progress.
View attachment 390435
What size square tube did you use for yours?

I made a mockup rough draft of one on fusion 360 last night. I'll post it up when I have time.

What size square tube did you use for yours?

I made a mockup rough draft of one on fusion 360 last night. I'll post it up when I have time.
This was also done in Fusion 360. The bulk of it is 1.5"x.120" square tube.
I have 1.25" square tube telescoping inside of the 1.5" but that probably won't be easy to do. Usually this tubing has a seam inside, so I'll have to remove that - I think the Fireball Tool youtube channel has a good video on this if you're interested. It would be easier to do a 1.0" tube and weld in some spacers/reducers, but I think that would always bug me. True telescoping tubes will reduce binding and provide more complete support.

I have a left over acme lead screw & nut that I should be able to fit in there just fine. Modelling those parts up and designing a bearing block is my next step.

Really wouldn’t it be easier just to buy one?im all for saving money but they can found for 400,buy the time your finished i bet you wouldn’t save 200.

This was also done in Fusion 360. The bulk of it is 1.5"x.120" square tube.
I have 1.25" square tube telescoping inside of the 1.5" but that probably won't be easy to do. Usually this tubing has a seam inside, so I'll have to remove that - I think the Fireball Tool youtube channel has a good video on this if you're interested. It would be easier to do a 1.0" tube and weld in some spacers/reducers, but I think that would always bug me. True telescoping tubes will reduce binding and provide more complete support.

I have a left over acme lead screw & nut that I should be able to fit in there just fine. Modelling those parts up and designing a bearing block is my next step.

You need to find extruded square tube. It doesn't have a weld seam.

Unless you have access to all the equipment, you really are better to buy. I use to design/fab a good bit. It's time consuming, and lots of times the first prototype you miss something, causing you to build or heavily modify the first iteration.

It's going to be real expensive when you don't realize the design flaw til it's too late.

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
Really wouldn’t it be easier just to buy one?im all for saving money but they can found for 400,buy the time your finished i bet you wouldn’t save 200.
Below 200 for everything right now. If I could find a used one for a fair price I'd probably do it.

Fabricating stuff is fun though too.

In my mission to find some limb fingers for my own I've found that Last Chance has gone after anyone who sells them, and they refuse to provide replacements to people.
Idk about buying shit from a company like that.

But if I see a ez green cheaper I'll probably jump.

Last edited:
Below 200 for everything right now. If I could find a used one for a fair price I'd probably do it.

Fabricating stuff is fun though too.

In my mission to find some limb fingers for my own I've found that Last Chance has gone after anyone who sells them, and they refuse to provide replacements to people.

But if I see a ez green cheaper I'll probably jump.

So you don't think they should have the rights to something they came up with?

Do you know how many companies just in the archery industry have gone under from other companies replicating their designs?

BBob

WKR
Like it or not they do have a patent on them and that's an investment right there. How many presses would they need to sell to cover legal costs? Probably quite a few and all and all I'll bet the bow press market isn't a huge market compared to other things in life.

Two patents exist:

Last edited:
OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
So you don't think they should have the rights to something they came up with?

Do you know how many companies just in the archery industry have gone under from other companies replicating their designs?
Nah. I've seen a lot that they won't even sell replacements at risk of someone making their own press.

Seems to me they could make a good amount of money selling limb fingers alone.

I'm not trying to argue the patent ownership. 😂

Just looking for press and limb contact point designs. Not trying to sell shit. Looking into fabricating my own press.

Edit: and I did say I'd buy one of these things used if they ever came up. Most of the time they're out of stock everywhere.
Sometimes making shit is the best option.

Last edited:
Nah. I've seen a lot that they won't even sell replacements at risk of someone making their own press.

Seems to me they could make a good amount of money selling limb fingers alone.

I'm not trying to argue the patent ownership. 😂

Just looking for press and limb contact point designs. Not trying to sell shit. Looking into fabricating my own press.

Edit: and I did say I'd buy one of these things used if they ever came up. Most of the time they're out of stock everywhere.
Sometimes making shit is the best option.

When you have issues with their products, they fix it.

They sell updated fingers to you when you have their product.

mnydir

FNG
Find a fabrication shop and have them laser cut fingers out of 3/8" steel. McMaster Carr has nestable tubing. Bearings, 5/8" acme rod, and your handle can all be found on ebay for cheap. There are some good designs already on the internet. If you know someone in a CNC or metal fab shop you're set. The fingers are the only thing you really can't fab on your own. Too inconsistent. Mine turned out well. I also fabbed a draw board.

Attachments

• IMG_20200802_170152678.jpg
    IMG_20200802_170152678.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 82
I was a welder for over 20 years and I'm currently a designer. I kicked around the idea of building one and didn't as the price of the stock, screw, bolts, fingers and my time out weighted the cost of just buying one. Keep in mind I always try to build something rather than buying but in this case I could not justify it. Perhaps if I have retired or semi retired and needed something to do it would be a different story. Good luck on your build.

KBC

WKR
I bought some fingers off of AT and built my own. Actually I built two and sold one for $400 but if I was to do it again I would just buy one. It was only a day to make them but after material costs I don’t think it’s worth it.

I only built two because the first set of fingers got lost in the mail and showed up 7+ months after a claim was put in and a new set shipped out. The postage and exchange rate plus materials made me make very little money after selling the extra one. It’s great that it paid for itself but it was only because of the extra set of fingers

Find a fabrication shop and have them laser cut fingers out of 3/8" steel. McMaster Carr has nestable tubing. Bearings, 5/8" acme rod, and your handle can all be found on ebay for cheap. There are some good designs already on the internet. If you know someone in a CNC or metal fab shop you're set. The fingers are the only thing you really can't fab on your own. Too inconsistent. Mine turned out well. I also fabbed a draw board.
What bearing do we need, you have any pictures of how the acme rod assembly all attaches to the frame?