DIY Public Land Nebraska Archery Mule Deer

cayres67

FNG
Hey guys,
Im new to rokslide and am planning my first western style spot and stalk hunt for this coming fall. I plan to go mid october. I have been an avid whitetail/turkey bowhunter all my life and have always been facinated by western big game. I am approaching by senior year at UNL so i thought there would be no better time than to give it a go. I have done a good amount e-scouting/research on western nebraska mulies and it seems like alot of people dont have alot of good things to say about it. AS i said earlier i am completely new to western hunting so i was wondering if any of you guys could give me any tips on what to expect. I have no problem working for a deer but i was wondering what some realistic expectations are for a hunt. I am really trying to get into western hunting so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

If you read all those posts about the negatives, then you know not to have high hopes for it. That being said i hunted there once woth my buddies a few years ago. I hope to not be in a situation where i dont have any other tags and have to go back, but i would go, opposed to not hunting.
We did have a great time seen a couple bucks, learned a lot. It also taught me the importance of glass and tripods.
you got a tall tall task ahead of you but there will be some good lessons to learn and experiences to be had. Its a great stepping stone to better hunts in the future. Best of luck and give it your best.

OP
cayres67

cayres67

FNG
If you read all those posts about the negatives, then you know not to have high hopes for it. That being said i hunted there once woth my buddies a few years ago. I hope to not be in a situation where i dont have any other tags and have to go back, but i would go, opposed to not hunting.
We did have a great time seen a couple bucks, learned a lot. It also taught me the importance of glass and tripods.
you got a tall tall task ahead of you but there will be some good lessons to learn and experiences to be had. Its a great stepping stone to better hunts in the future. Best of luck and give it your best.
Thanks for the response. I will definitely give it hell out there

Laramie

WKR
The above is spot on. Hunting pressure has increased exponentially on the public in Nebraska in recent years.

OP
cayres67

cayres67

FNG
What is "western hunting" to you?

The version that the outdoor marketing machine has sold you, and reality are very different.
I want to hunt the animals that i havent been able to hunt growing up in illinois (mule deer and elk in the near future) as well as experience new wild places.

tsales

FNG
Any experiences with Southwest Nebraska? I've hunted public land in Southwest NE for a couple of years. Have seen some nice mule deer but they tend to be on private land. For the most part the biggest downfall is all of the standing corn in September / early October when I go. Anyone on here have experience with this / know a good way to hunt muleys while most of the corn is still standing?

Laramie

WKR
Any experiences with Southwest Nebraska? I've hunted public land in Southwest NE for a couple of years. Have seen some nice mule deer but they tend to be on private land. For the most part the biggest downfall is all of the standing corn in September / early October when I go. Anyone on here have experience with this / know a good way to hunt muleys while most of the corn is still standing?
Yep, get permission on great private land.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The above is spot on. Hunting pressure has increased exponentially on the public in Nebraska in recent years.

Please explain this to me. Hasn't Nebraska had limited quotas on their hunting units, that would not allow hunting pressure to increase? I'm not calling you out...I truly don't understand.

Laramie

WKR
Please explain this to me. Hasn't Nebraska had limited quotas on their hunting units, that would not allow hunting pressure to increase? I'm not calling you out...I truly don't understand.
There have been some unlimited tags available. Some changes have been made but it will still be ridiculous to try to hunt public land imo. Nebraska is glad to take the cash while knowing it doesn't matter how many tags they sell because 99% of big game animals reside on the 97% of the state that is private.

Luke322KC

FNG
I was there in October to help two of my buddies on their antelope hunts. We saw quite a bit of mule deer including a couple really *nice bucks, one off Ash Hollow State Park I believe and another up off of Fort Robinson. I only had a day and a half to hunt after we tagged them out so I bought a tag. Found a spot in Ponderosa WMA that looked interesting on OnX and was crawling with whitetails, turkey, and even got busted by a cow elk that snuck up a draw behind me. I have video of about 15 Merriams parading behind me while hiding in some pines at 12 yards I'd go back for sure with more time + a turkey tag.