DIY pull-outs, draw-stop bags etc..

theedz

WKR
Becca, she also said to use a small needle, otherwise you will poke hole in the silnylon.

You happen to know what size of needle she used on the silnylon? and also on the thick tie-out loops what size of thread (same 4mm?) I am looking at adding a few of tie-outs on my oware tent and am a little hesitant. Did you use seam sealer on the tent? If so what did you use? Read/seen some bad adventures on using the wrong stuff to seam seal.

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
Was planning on doing the DIY video with the wife this weekend but she got a bad flu going around in the city. I use seam grip on the coated rip stop silnylon we are using. I will ask my wife what size needle she is using but it's the same needle on everything. The thread is standard size but again, will get clarification from her later. The video we plan on doing will be a drawstring bag and pullout from beginning to end.

colonel00

WKR
Manosteel, if you don't mind, can you also post what type sewing machine and any other special considerations along those lines? The girlfriend here has decided that she might like to learn to sew and that sounds like an opportunity to me but I want to be sure we get her something that will work for some of these "special" projects too. Thanks.

Any luck convincing the wife to do a short video or even a picture thread of how she patterned and sewed the pull outs?

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
It's still in the works, but life is getting in the way, her parents showed up unannounced on Friday so our plans to do it this weekend were shot. We are still going to do it since I will be needing another meat bag and pull out. These are projects that once you start you want to finish and not something you do over a few days. Sorry for the wait guys but it will come.

chorpie

FNG
These are awesome! Can you ask your wife for a little info aout sewing with rip stop silnylon? I am a reasonably experienced seamstress (basic hand and machine sewing skills, good enough to follow most basic patterns) but I have always been intimidated by sewing silnylon. It seems so slippery, and I think you aren't supposed to use pins with it since they leave holes. I am supposed to sew in some stove jacks this spring, and would also like to do a couple projects similar to what you posted above. If she has any tips for sewing with material like this I would be all ears!

I use glue sticks. They dry clear, so you don't see it after you're done. Going to move to tiny binder clips to bind the edges and just remove them as i go.

Manosteel - i've never actually owned a Kifaru pullout but they look a fabric pancake instead of the box-type pouches you have. Do you find an advantage of the boxy pouch vs the pancake pouch? I was actually planning on messing with this soon and drew up some pancake style patterns in Illustrator just to get my sizes right between the pouches.

colonel00

WKR
I have really been looking into this more. I will put up a video of how to make some really simple pullouts here at some point. As for materials, search through the backpacking light DIY forum and the hammock forums. Here are a couple other links for material sources

http://www.owfinc.com/fabrics.html - Fabric source

http://www.therainshed.com/ - Material source

http://www.noahlamport.com/ - silnylon seconds

http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/products-page/all-materials-a-z/ - Just about everything would need.

Last edited:

InDeep

WKR
I wish my wife would sew this stuff up for me.. maybe if I send her a copy of my order to kifuru maybe that will motivate her !!

colonel00

WKR
Success! First thing I have ever sewn. Have to say it came out pretty good.

IMG_2200_zps22321983.jpg

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Brad that looks sharp. What Machine you using? I need to find me one everytime I look at this post it makes me want to start dumping money into my own setup to make my stuff.

Clarktar

WKR
Nice job Brad! Did you by chance make a video of you making it??

I am trying to get my mother in law to make a few bags for me. She is game. I tired to explain the best I could from manosteels thread and plans. I would really like to make the raincover and tarp he made, but there are no plans for those...

Anyway, congrats!

colonel00

WKR
Thanks fellas. This one is really simple and I am pretty sure that anyone on this forum with a sewing machine could make these if I did. I will definitely put together a video of how to do it once I make a couple more to get it down a little. Now, this is a very simple pouch that lays flat when empty and doesn't have the "3D" design like some of the ones Manosteel has but I will work on that too.

SHTF, I was using a Brother 6000i that I recently purchased for my girlfriend. It is like $140 on Amazon but you could get away with much cheaper. She wanted to learn to sew so I wanted to get something that could have some decent features even though most of the time we will only be doing straight stitches.

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking at the Brother 6000i for a few months. Good price and reviews on it. Colonel00 - do you like it?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Is it capable of sewing 1000d Cordura. Thats important to me cause eventually I want to move into working with that also.

colonel00

WKR
That is a fantastic question that I can't really speak to since this is all new to me as well. Personally, I guess I like the machine based on my expansive knowledge of sewing up one pouch :D I can say that it is easy to use and not a bad starting point. I am sure it could sew some heavier fabrics but it probably won't like it for very long. I had thought about projects with cordura and I will probably keep an eye out for an older, all metal mechanical machine that will crank through the heavier stuff with ease. With that, as a beginner just trying to learn how to stitch a straight line without the fabric getting all wonky, the 6000i will serve as a good tool.

colonel00

WKR
Took a crack at another one this evening. Not the best but fully functional. Not too shabby for the second thing ever. This one is 9" x 8" x 3". Conveniently it holds two pair of merino boxers, merino bottoms and a long sleeve merino crew.

Kids, these aren't that hard. Granted, by no means are these of the quality of what you get from a retailer but if you want the ability to make some custom pullouts and pouches to fit various gear "packages" then this is the way to go. Also, I am just working with regular ripstop nylon I found at Walmart for $1.50/yd. I know working with sil or other coating can be a bit of a hassle. Hopefully I can find a deal on some of that material as I would really like to have some sort of water resistance. I promise to get a detailed post up hopefully with a video soon.

Oh yeah, since I got 3 yards of ripstop from Walmart for $4.50 and a bunch of zippers off of Amazon for like $10, it is hard to guess but I would say I have $.50 max in this one.

IMG_2204_zpsf06000b8.jpg

IMG_2202_zps4a4bf9b9.jpg

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
Hey guys,

Sorry for not getting to making a video. My wife got a big promotion at work and is now in a Directors position, which means long work days until she gets a handle on the mess left by the person she replaced. In any event she feels really bad about not getting to the videos but is still committed to doing them. She has worked with Silnylon Rip Stop material enough now that she has figured out how to work with it to get the best, strongest and cleanest most professional look.

I need her to make some more pullouts, meat bags and draw string bags for me along with a new combo "tarp/rain cover which will be bigger as it will be used as floor for my tarp tent". All of these new projects will be done and video taped.

For now here is a youtube video on the basic steps to making a box zipper pullout. If you follow the video you can make the pullouts my wife made for me, but they may be a little frayed at the seems and won't have the end tabs. Remeber to keep the material inside out when sewing so that the shinny side is out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BruF6Hk9NU&list=FLGpdKnPQagdmFJcTlGwM5iA&index=59

there are vidoes on how to make draw string bags but none of them are they way my wife does it and seem overly complicated and hard to follow.

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
Took a crack at another one this evening. Not the best but fully functional. Not too shabby for the second thing ever. This one is 9" x 8" x 3". Conveniently it holds two pair of merino boxers, merino bottoms and a long sleeve merino crew.

Kids, these aren't that hard. Granted, by no means are these of the quality of what you get from a retailer but if you want the ability to make some custom pullouts and pouches to fit various gear "packages" then this is the way to go. Also, I am just working with regular ripstop nylon I found at Walmart for $1.50/yd. I know working with sil or other coating can be a bit of a hassle. Hopefully I can find a deal on some of that material as I would really like to have some sort of water resistance. I promise to get a detailed post up hopefully with a video soon.

Oh yeah, since I got 3 yards of ripstop from Walmart for $4.50 and a bunch of zippers off of Amazon for like $10, it is hard to guess but I would say I have $.50 max in this one.

IMG_2204_zpsf06000b8.jpg

IMG_2202_zps4a4bf9b9.jpg

Those look great!

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
Success! First thing I have ever sewn. Have to say it came out pretty good.

IMG_2200_zps22321983.jpg

I find the flat box ones great for use as a food bag, my wife made me a x-large one with a 16" zipper that lets me put in 5 days worth of food. But the box ones, like the one you made, are way more versatile and useable for every other purpose.