DIY pull-outs, draw-stop bags etc..

Manosteel

WKR
I am lucky enough to have a wife who is a wiz on the sewing machine. I bought some PU coated ripstop Silynylon material on sale to make a tarp.

She saw me fumble with measuring and cutting the fabric and she became curious. When I pulled out her sewing machine she took over not trusting me with her baby.

By the end of the day not only did she make me professionally looking 9x11 tarp, with properly sewn in corner/side stake points and Guy-out points to help add usable interior space. I will post pics of the tarp when I can set it up outside. 2 feet of snow outside right now:cool:

The following are pics of the custom pull-outs two medium, with the 9x11 tarp in a small draw string bag she made (29 oz packed with guy lines and stakes), and my 1 man MSR Hubba Tent w footprint in another drawstring bag she made.

ripstopbags6.jpg

The medium pullout to the far left has my Emergency and First Aid Stuff ( 23 oz packed) and the second taller medium pullout is my kill kit - same thing as rokslide, including custom made meat bag with same material ( 19.5 oz)

ripstopbags4.jpg

Here are some close ups

ripstopbags8.jpg

And here is the last one she made a small pullout with a handle tab (great for my hygiene kit (contacts, glasses, toothbrush etc..)

ripstopbags91.jpg

ripstopbags9.jpg

Last edited:

littlebuf

Banned
where did you get the material? what was the cost? really im most curious about the zippers. my mother in law is a seamstress and she loves doing stuff for me. i know lucky to have a awesome mother in law.

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I am also interested in where you got the material and the cost of putting the bags together. I bet with a little bit of bribing i can get the family and consumer science (home economics) teacher at my school to sew them for me.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing better than a family project love it when the ideas turn out just like you had hoped

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
I am currently on the road for business today. I will post details later tonight. I will include a pic of the plans I drew up and maybe convince my wife to make a video later. Off the top of my head materials for everything was a out $25-$30. That allowed me to make everything in the pic plus 2 meat bags not in the pics.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
These are awesome! Can you ask your wife for a little info aout sewing with rip stop silnylon? I am a reasonably experienced seamstress (basic hand and machine sewing skills, good enough to follow most basic patterns) but I have always been intimidated by sewing silnylon. It seems so slippery, and I think you aren't supposed to use pins with it since they leave holes. I am supposed to sew in some stove jacks this spring, and would also like to do a couple projects similar to what you posted above. If she has any tips for sewing with material like this I would be all ears!

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
Just got home, long day. To answer some of the questions.
(1) We went to Fabric Land (wife has a membership which gives her huge discounts) but you can get most of this stuff at Walmart.
(2) PU coated ripstop Silynylon material on sale = $3 a meter (1 yard) they come in 54" wide bolts. Bought 4 meters ($15)
(3) zipers, various lengths, about $2 to $3 each. got 2 x 16"; 2 x 14"; 2 x 8" ($10)
(4) multipurpose utility cord 4mm thick - had lots of extra laying around. (nothing)
(5) spring pull cord button? (don't know what its called) $2 for 6. ($2)
(6) strap webbing $3 for 6ft ($3)
(7) Fabric Glue (wife had lots)
(8) scrape cotten fabric to make a tester (wife had lots)

Total spent on materials $30.00

Here are some pics

materials8.jpg

materials5.jpg

Usually this stuff is $16 a meter (1 yard) they come in 54" wide bolts and the store cuts the length you want.

materials6.jpg

My plans, I will redo the plans so they are easier to read later this week

materials7.jpg

Their is a shinny side and a dull side. The Shinny side is the coated side which you always make sure is the outside of the bag. (our first one was made with the dull side on the outside :) )

materials4.jpg

materials3.jpg

Becca, my wife (Brenda) told me that you are right, no pins, but instead you use Fabric glue. She also stated you have to use sharp fabric Scissors to cut the nylon and not to use a fabric (pie) cutter as it will fray the nylon. If you cut holes in the nylon you have to use "fabric check" (looks like glue to me?) . Other than that it is no different then any other fabric.

Funny you say that you are supposed to make stove jacks, I showed my wife a pic of the kifaru stove and she said I should get one, ofcourse my response was that she would need to make some stove jacks for my tents :)

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
I am still trying to convince my wife to make a video of how to make the draw-string bags and the pull-out bags with zipper. But she is being shy, and states she hates seeing and hearing herself on video.

Best part is that we both love the outdoors and she has started to come out hunting with me. She enjoys the process of getting me prepared for a hunt as it is becoming more a family thing as our children get older. I took her on her first moose hunt in 2011. It was fun seeing her freak out when I had a bull moose knocking trees less than 125 yards away from us. She nearly jumped out of her shorts when she heard the first big crash of horns meeting a tree :)

huntingpics2011075-Copy.jpg

A pic of us together from a tree stump, not very good, I am rocking the old school "Tree Bark" Camo I bought back in 1996 lol

huntingpics2011102-Copy2.jpg

If she still won't do a video, I will post pics with step by step instructions.

My sister thinks we are wasting our time on making things we could easily purchase. But we both come from rural communities where doing things yourself and being self-sufficient was just the way it was and people took pride in it. We both still like to do things ourselves rather than paying someone else when we can.. But then again my sister lives in Victoria B.C. and is a tree hugging beatnik lol

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Manosteel your very lucky. Thanks for sharing the plans. My wife won't sew my projects so I had to learn to do it my self it's harder than it looks to make a straight stitch

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
CaseyU (another member here) posted a link to where you can purchase the same material I used in the US.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html#silicone ctd rs

I used what is similare if not the same as the 1.9 oz Polyurethane Coated Ripstop. The website has it at
"1.9 oz. sq. yd. before coating 70 Denier. This urethane coated nylon has a strong thread that goes up and across the fabric forming tear resistant squares. It has 8-10lb tear strength. The addition of urethane coating makes this a strong yet lightweight waterproof fabric for many uses.
Uses: Tent rain flies, lightweight tarps, ponchos, pack covers, kites, wind socks, vapor barrier liners for sleeping bags."

I am also interested in see the process of how she made these.

...But she is being shy, and states she hates seeing and hearing herself on video.

Complete understand what she is saying here as I am the same way. But she wouldn't have to watch since she already knows how to make them.:D

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks manosteel! And please tell Brenda she has inspired me to be braver about sewing with silnylon! Awesome to see her out in the field with you, thanks for the photos...

I too like doing things myself...sometimes there just aren't commercial products available to do what I want, and it's neat to be able to customize your final projects to your exact specifications!

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
Good link. looks liked I lucked out and got the good stuff - PU coated ripstop. The ladies at the store I bought it at had little idea about the denner or coating on the ripstop, so it was a blind leading the blind sort of thing for me:)