DIY question

Grizzly83

FNG
I’ve been elk hunting every year for nearly a decade now, but am losing out on the cabin I have always hunted out of. I now need to start DIYing it!! My biggest question is, where do you guys park your truck when you pack into the backcountry to tent hunt?!
I can’t imagine you just pull off the side of the highway and head up a drainage…. But I’m at a loss here.
I’ll be hunting Colorado. Unit 86 or 84 OTC during archery season.
I’ve found some campgrounds, but they all close on Sept 20 and I’m nervous they will fill up fast and I’ll be up a creek if I’m just trying to park at a campground and hike in.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Gila

WKR
You could invest in a nice, roomy, wall (cabin) tent with wood stove. I like my hot water and a comfortable bed at the end of the day. If you want to camp where few people go....what I do is to pull my camp in a trailer behind the UTV. You can primitive camp in most public areas. You can drive your truck off of a NF road and camp within 50 yards of the road.

edit: I only rifle hunt for elk.

Pulling over at a random spot and busting up a hill or hole is better than a campground or trailhead.

Put an obstacle between you and the road. That can mean three things: Either a bunch of miles. A bunch of elevation. Or an actual obstacle like a stream or cliff that you figure out how to get on the other side of. Good luck!

OP
G

Grizzly83

FNG
Pulling over at a random spot and busting up a hill or hole is better than a campground or trailhead.

Put an obstacle between you and the road. That can mean three things: Either a bunch of miles. A bunch of elevation. Or an actual obstacle like a stream or cliff that you figure out how to get on the other side of. Good luck!
If you just leave your truck on the side of the road for 3-4 days would that typically be ok? Or should I expect a ticket when I come back.

I just want to make sure I ditch my truck in a reasonable way as I bust it up a mountain.

I’d prefer not to park at a campground….. but just have no idea where is a decent spot to leave my truck for days on end.

NF = national forest road.

There are lots of pull offs on any given fire road. Pull off 10 yards into the timber or even park at a closed gate. Start hoofing from there.

Nobody will ticket your truck.

Nobody will mess with your stuff in most places.

The only reason you might get a ticket is if you parked in such a way that you are blocking emergency access. So just don't park in front of any closed gates or in any way that would prevent emergency vehicles from easily getting passed you if needed.

Marble

WKR
I've always just gotten my vehicle out of the road. Depending on the season and weather, I'll situate it so I can leave no matter how much snow there is.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Out west, provided you don’t park directly on the Interstate, I doubt you’ll have a problem with getting a ticket or people messing with your truck.

The worst thing that’ll probably happen is some jag will see your out-of-state plates and write a rude note in the dust on your window. Try to ignore them.

I've always just gotten my vehicle out of the road. Depending on the season and weather, I'll situate it so I can leave no matter how much snow there is.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
This! Whatever you do out there whether it’s park your truck, back in a camper, unhook a cargo trailer… picture the entire place covered in a foot of snow when you get back.

As far as a ticket no worries. Just use common sense. Well off the path of other vehicles and don’t block anything including gated roads. It’s actually a free country out there you’re gonna love it! You can camp anywhere on NF too for 14 days.

ikeG

FNG
The worst thing that’ll probably happen is some jag will see your out-of-state plates and write a rude note in the dust on your window. Try to ignore them.

Came back to the truck in Wy this year and a resident had written "go home" on our back glass lol

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

DanimalW

WKR
I would think you’d be fine parking on the side of a paved road if you got far enough that you’re off the shoulder. If that’s what you’re asking.

As far as being a nonresident hunter, my buddy likes to drive around with a cooler of ice cold Pabst from Wisconsin. He always offers one to locals if he sees them coming back off the mountain. He’s pretty cool like that. Small gestures go a long way.