DIY Quilt Build

hoff1ck

WKR
Currently considering making my own quilt for a september archery elk hunt, but I'm still running through the logistics. Done a bunch of research on here and I can't seem to find the answer, so I apologize if I just missed it. I'm 6'3 and a stomach sleeper. Measure about 58" or so using EE's size chart width measurement. Looking at fabric on Ripstop I can get it in an XL sheet if need be, but the apex insulation in 7.5oz only seems to come in sheets of 60" width. I guess my first question is if I went with the regular width, would it likely be snug by time everything is cut down and sewn in? And if I do need a wider quilt than the standard length, where would I find XL rolls of the apex insulation? Currently there is only 1 yard left of 7.5oz so I have some time to decide while I wait for a restock.

By my math I can have this quilt done for around 100 bucks, which pushes me that way. The other option I think would be a long/wide EE revelation apex, which would run me about 220 and 8 weeks. For those that have made a quilt or used both, is it worth the hassle or would I be better to pay the extra and have EE do the work?

I have never made a hunting quilt but I have made plenty of quilts and other items and I would suggest planning on 10-25% more material than expected. 10% should be sufficient but I’ve never worked with ripstop.

I am very interested to see how this turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made a really basic quilt with material from ripstopbytheroll. It came out about 84"x56" and the 5oz apex has been comfortable down to about 30°, I think I could use it down to 20°. For the shell I used the 1.5oz hyper D.

I've got 1oz hyper D and some 7.5oz apex waiting in the closet to make a second with a sewn in footbag.

It cost me about $100 and was fun but the finished product isn't close to what you would get from a manufacturer.

I made a really basic quilt with material from ripstopbytheroll. It came out about 84"x56" and the 5oz apex has been comfortable down to about 30°, I think I could use it down to 20°. For the shell I used the 1.5oz hyper D.

I've got 1oz hyper D and some 7.5oz apex waiting in the closet to make a second with a sewn in footbag.

It cost me about $100 and was fun but the finished product isn't close to what you would get from a manufacturer.

Why isn’t it close? What was lacking? The seams or the just quality of the material to begin with.

OP, please tell me if I am hijacking your thread. Not trying to impose

OP
H

hoff1ck

WKR
Why isn’t it close? What was lacking? The seams or the just quality of the material to begin with.

OP, please tell me if I am hijacking your thread. Not trying to impose

All good. The more info, the better.

The materials are top notch. My abilities were very basic and the first trip through the washing machine exposed a few flaws in my seams.

I had read about people using painter's tape to sew through. That was a mistake and ended up being extra hassle. For the next round, I'll use binder clips to hold my materials. I also got slightly out of square by the end of it, possibly due to stretch in the materials as I held it tight.

I also added a drawstring to one end which cinches to make a psuedo footbag. The problem I ran into here was that I didn't know how to finish the seam for the drawstring channel and ended up just sewing the two sides together. It turns out that I needed to roll them back inward before sewing to prevent fraying.

Basically, the problems I ran into were just from me winging it without really knowing what I was doing. Aside from the frayed edge near my drawstring, I doubt anyone else would notice the imperfections.

The material I chose for the shell did feel a bit clammy my first few nights under it. After a few washings it's super comfortable and not at all clammy. I think I just had to knock some of the dwr finish off.

NV HUNTER

WKR
I just made a down quilt from the Costco quilt. With a foot box. I plan on using 5 or 7.5 oz apex. Hope to get the temp rating down to 0-15 degree. I plan on making 2 and trying both apex.

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 5'11 and did a quilt out of 1.5 and 1.1 hyper D w/ 3.6 oz Apex. With my Klymit StaticV insulated pad and puffy layers i can sleep it pretty cold, I don't carry a thermometer. I do not believe you need extra width, I cut 4" of width off my material. Do not be intimidated to take on a synthetic quilt build. It's extremely easy and a great way to start your DIY projects on a sewing machine. I make a quilt in about 45 mins from start to finish. have fun!

I am planning on following this template at some point when I decide to give quilts a try. From what I've read, the 7.5oz Climashield Apex should be good to about a 10 degree rating. The 10 oz is supposed to be good to -5.

OP
H

hoff1ck

WKR
I am planning on following this template at some point when I decide to give quilts a try. From what I've read, the 7.5oz Climashield Apex should be good to about a 10 degree rating. The 10 oz is supposed to be good to -5.

Yep, that’s exactly the video I have saved to use as well. Super thorough and seems easy to follow. Just wrestling with whether I want to attempt it or spend the extra and buy one. Leaning towards the build at this point, but still looking for a little more info.

Yep, that’s exactly the video I have saved to use as well. Super thorough and seems easy to follow. Just wrestling with whether I want to attempt it or spend the extra and buy one. Leaning towards the build at this point, but still looking for a little more info.

I say, if you have the time and means, build it. I built a bow press a few years back and have learned more than I could’ve imagined about archery. Though it is a different circumstance, you may stumble onto something you otherwise wouldn’t.

OP
H

hoff1ck

WKR
I say, if you have the time and means, build it. I built a bow press a few years back and have learned more than I could’ve imagined about archery. Though it is a different circumstance, you may stumble onto something you otherwise wouldn’t.

I'm leaning that way. Needing a new floorless shelter in the future intrigues me on getting into sewing my own stuff as well. Figure the quilt and maybe a couple pillows with the scraps would be a good starting point.

I'm leaning that way. Needing a new floorless shelter in the future intrigues me on getting into sewing my own stuff as well. Figure the quilt and maybe a couple pillows with the scraps would be a good starting point.

This is going to sound silly but when I was in 8th grade I got pneumonia and mono and wasn’t able to play basketball. I got into sewing and made around $2k for college. I basically had to stay home alone, do HW and kill time. My parents told me they were ok with me doing what I wanted as long as my HW was completed and grades stayed at an A level but they did that “parent thing” and said that I had an opportunity most kids didn’t and I could choose to play video games and rest that way, or I could do something productive with my time. Being an 8th grade capitalist I chose to sew and sell pillows. lol. I’m 6’8” 270 now so I think that adds a little more humor to the story.

Point being, if you run into general sewing issues I may be able to help.

OP
H

hoff1ck

WKR
This is going to sound silly but when I was in 8th grade I got pneumonia and mono and wasn’t able to play basketball. I got into sewing and made around $2k for college. I basically had to stay home alone, do HW and kill time. My parents told me they were ok with me doing what I wanted as long as my HW was completed and grades stayed at an A level but they did that “parent thing” and said that I had an opportunity most kids didn’t and I could choose to play video games and rest that way, or I could do something productive with my time. Being an 8th grade capitalist I chose to sew and sell pillows. lol. I’m 6’8” 270 now so I think that adds a little more humor to the story.

Point being, if you run into general sewing issues I may be able to help.

Thanks. Definitely appreciate that!

Hoh Down

FNG
I just made a down quilt from the Costco quilt. With a foot box. I plan on using 5 or 7.5 oz apex. Hope to get the temp rating down to 0-15 degree. I plan on making 2 and trying both apex.

Not to thread-jack, but can you please share how you did this?

Beendare

WKR
IME, you can derive a lot of satisfaction designing and making your own gear.

I can tell you with a project like this you will have to challenges. One is working with the very fine/slippery silnylon fabrics. They can be tricky but with experience its not so bad.

Then you have the characteristics of the insulation. You need to stabilze it without sewing through it. Managing baffles, sewing on the scrim, are all considerations so you dont get cold spots.

A quilt is a good first project👍🏼