Diy quilt build

Squirrels

WKR
I ordered the stuff to make a Apex quilt. I will post the build as I go.
Material List:
1.0 oz HyperD Calendered (6 yards total, will serve as interior and exterior of bag)
Apex 5oz insulation (3 yards)
Some 1/8" shock cord and cord locks
Kam Snaps

Got it done
82" long ( I can pull it completely over my head
54" wide at top
39" wide at bottom

Final weight is 23oz

Drawcord top and bottom, snap footbox. Learned a lot as I went and the next one would be easier and turn out more "professional". Never worked with large pieces of such light fabrics, learning curve there.
b763fc4f103d07299286201270efecd4.jpg
676123cb9e1c9f3f9b63837016751d50.jpg
96bb0d02d9b35c23ba1e4e96258194c6.jpg

Last edited:

coop2424

WKR
I put the snaps on after I had it all sewn together. That way I could catch both sides of fabric, insulation and the stitch if that makes sense.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a load of stuff on the way, including 3 quilt kits. I look forward to seeing how your build goes. I got the 1 oz HyperD for the inside, but not calemdared....wondering if I messed up...? Hopefully not. What are the snaps you're using? Is that to snap a footbox together?

Jeremy

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
I've got a load of stuff on the way, including 3 quilt kits. I look forward to seeing how your build goes. I got the 1 oz HyperD for the inside, but not calemdared....wondering if I messed up...? Hopefully not. What are the snaps you're using? Is that to snap a footbox together?

Jeremy

Yes snaps are for the foot box. I actually think I should have got uncalenderd for the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I have gone back and forth on how I want to do the foot box. I'm really curious how you end up doing yours. Snaps crossed my mind momentarily, but never really worked with them, so never seriously considered them. That being said, the ease factor of snapping the foot box closed sure is appealing.

Jeremy

I was debating snaps for my iminent quilt build but I think I'm going to do a 24" zipper.

gumbl3

WKR
I put snaps about 2 foot up to make a foot box and a draw cord at the bottom to close it up. I like it this way. I also put one snap at the top and a cord there to close it around my neck and shoulders. I really like that setup, I put my feet in, snap the top and poke my head through, makes a really good seal and is plenty warm.

ChrisS

WKR
I have gone back and forth on how I want to do the foot box. I'm really curious how you end up doing yours. Snaps crossed my mind momentarily, but never really worked with them, so never seriously considered them. That being said, the ease factor of snapping the foot box closed sure is appealing.

Jeremy
Depends on the temp ratings for the footbox. I made a 40F quilt and just used 18" of velcro with a drawstring footbox. That won't ever see 40F though. It's just a super light summer quilt. For any quilt lower than 30, I think I want a sewn footbox going forward. Too many nights with a cold draft coming through any tiny opening.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Chris, thanks for sharing your experience. I'll keep it in mind as I move forward on my build.

Jeremy

I personally have a sewn in foot box cause my feet tend to get cold easy. I think the main reason for snaps would be if you wanted the option of a flat blanket which I did not. Otherwise why risk getting drafts plus the sewn in box should be a touch lighter and less complicated.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

snaps for a foot box is a great idea,, i jus made my quilt long enough to wrap around my feet
i really like the quilt style
mine is really a big blanket....

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
Got it completed, I edited my initial post with pics and details

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
That looks great, thanks for posting it up. I got my first one done, the second is about 2/3 finished. Then one more after that. I ended up deciding on the sewn in foot box. Guess we'll see how me and the kids like it.... Now that yours is finished, how do you feel about the design? I'm curious to actually get mine out in the hills and see how the design impacts a good night's sleep :).

Jeremy

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
That looks great, thanks for posting it up. I got my first one done, the second is about 2/3 finished. Then one more after that. I ended up deciding on the sewn in foot box. Guess we'll see how me and the kids like it.... Now that yours is finished, how do you feel about the design? I'm curious to actually get mine out in the hills and see how the design impacts a good night's sleep :).

Jeremy

I think I will like it better than a bag, only real time will tell. I was actually surprised at the weight, I was expecting finished product to weigh more. That was a pleasant surprise.

I think I will like it better than a bag, only real time will tell. I was actually surprised at the weight, I was expecting finished product to weigh more. That was a pleasant surprise.

Yep, a 7.5 would have only weighed about 28 ounces and be good for a lot lower temps. i say that because many synthetic haters say down way outperforms it in comparison to weight. Not in temp ranges of single digits up. Down gets te nod fr compression but, if you have good stuff sack, you can get the APEX stuff nearly as small.

That lightweight nylon stuff stretches when you try to sew it. You did a great job and, that quilt will keep you warm into the 20's. God Bless