Diy quilt builds

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
So I've been wanting to try a quilt for a while now, and after researching what's available my Dutch heritage is coming out and I've decided to try build my own. ( actually my mom has agreed to sew up the first one for me... she's a sewing wizard) . I will most likely source my material from RSBTR. I'm not 100% sure on the materials I'd like to use yet so I was wondering if you guys that have done this could post up build specs for your diy quilts.... inner and outer materials, insulation weight, approximate total weight, wether or not you used a plan etc. Thanks for the help!

OP
M

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
^^^ Thanks for that one... I looked thru the entire diy forum pages but I somehow missed that one.

gumbl3

WKR
Been a long time since I made this but I still use it. I can't remember what materials I used but definately got it from RSBTR. I used best down I could afford and sewed in ~3" baffles where the fill could move throughout the quilt. It's pretty amazing just how warm this thing is.

Attachments

• quilt1.jpeg
    quilt1.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 68
  • quilt2.jpeg
    quilt2.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 66

CB1

FNG
I made a 50 degree quilt last year. Wanted to just test out the water. Ended up doing 1.9oz rip stop nylon for shell (different colors for inner and outer) and 2.5oz climashield. Got some snaps and grosgrain to clip together. Opted for no zipper on that one.

Overall the material is comfortable on the skin, not the lightest but durable and was on sale at the time. I would choose that for down though.

Nored

FNG
I made a down quilt. Pretty sure I used 1.1oz rip stop nylon on the inner and outer fabric. 1lb of down. If I remember right the total weight is 21 or 22 oz.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I made one using RSBTR kit. Mine is a winter quilt. It’s made with 10 oz. Climashield APEX insulation. I added electronics pockets to the interior so my delorme and cellphone will always be right where I left them, and warm!

fc2574549f8efbdded03666b107c26df.jpg

2e1b0abfa68bbe7957d7544c168a84af.jpg

ccab5824163f5d52046e53eafd6a0b7a.jpg

I don’t remember the dimensions but I made it essentially to be an extra long/wide. I’m 6’ and it gives me enough length to synch it over my head comfortably if I were to get in a bad situation (which I’m good at). Zippered footbox with shockcord synch channel. And a shock cord synch channel at the top. Sleeping pad strap attachment around torso. I essentially mimicked an EE quilt with a few tweaks here and there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Cool! That turned out very nice. What does it weigh and how does it compress down with that 10 oz apex?

as.ks.ak

WKR
Cool! That turned out very nice. What does it weigh and how does it compress down with that 10 oz apex?

49 oz.

I can get it in a medium sea to summit compression dry bag, but things get western making it fit. It would fit much better in the Large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk