DIY Resources

HuntingEd

FNG
This year will be my 2nd guided elk hunt, the last one was 15+ yrs ago, so needless to say I'm excited. My interest in a backpacking DIY hunt for '23 is growing exponentially, but the thought of all the things I don't know is daunting. I'm not in a position to go on a guided hunt every year, but I would love to have more time in the mountains.

I'm curious what the best resources are out there for research and learning? Do you recommend any particular podcast? Are the 'pay for advice' sites worth it? Etc..

I'm a newbie to western hunting, so I think learning the state draws, points, etc is my first place to start. Not a newbie to hiking, camping or walking miles for game, but would definitely be a newbie to mountain hunting from a backpack. I'm not looking for 'best unit in OTC state' (although I wouldn't turn down such advice lol), more so what can I do to increase my chances of having fun on a DIY trip, taking game would be amazing, but I just want a good experience and minimize my risk of injury or death due to being green.

WKR
The Hunt Backcountry podcast is a good one. I've also gleaned some good information from the Backcountry Hunting podcast.

Last edited:
For me it’s damn near a lifestyle. My closest friends are my western hunting partners. I didn’t know most of them 8 years ago when this all started for me. We are always hunting, talking hunting, planning a hunt, or taking the kids on non-hunting but outdoors trips in the off-season. I don’t think there is any other way if you want to be consistently successful.

When you have that kind of passionate immersive approach to it, you’re going to find stuff. Google searches, reading Rokslide all the damn time, Eastman’s magazines, podcasts, etc.

bozeman

WKR
I agree, in part, with @Dos Perros…….to be consistent, you have to be at it all the time. Exploring/scouting, researching, training, preparing, put the time in and get on the ground where you want to hunt at diff times of the year. Best of luck and be safe!!

Alot can be learned from the pay to play like you stated from ELK101 or Elknut but don't sleep on this site. You can use the search function and read threads on DIY elk hunting till you turn blue in the face. Listening to podcast's & watching YouTube is also a great way to learn information on the point systems & DIY opportunities out there. But personally, for me the best way to learn is just getting out there & hunting, are you going to punch a tag on your first DIY hunt... probably not, but you can't kill em from the couch.

Reactions: 9.1
This year will be my 2nd guided elk hunt, the last one was 15+ yrs ago, so needless to say I'm excited. My interest in a backpacking DIY hunt for '23 is growing exponentially, but the thought of all the things I don't know is daunting. I'm not in a position to go on a guided hunt every year, but I would love to have more time in the mountains.

I'm curious what the best resources are out there for research and learning? Do you recommend any particular podcast? Are the 'pay for advice' sites worth it? Etc..

I'm a newbie to western hunting, so I think learning the state draws, points, etc is my first place to start. Not a newbie to hiking, camping or walking miles for game, but would definitely be a newbie to mountain hunting from a backpack. I'm not looking for 'best unit in OTC state' (although I wouldn't turn down such advice lol), more so what can I do to increase my chances of having fun on a DIY trip, taking game would be amazing, but I just want a good experience and minimize my risk of injury or death due to being green.
Just go get your boots on the ground. Nothing wrong with a little homework but you truly don't know, and won't know until you experience it first hand. You can do the pay sites, and there are some good ones out there, but again, alot of that stuff will be foreign until you experience hunting diy style for yourself. Its much more gratifying for me doing it "my way" and being successful rather than telling everyone i watched an Elktalk podcast and did it exactly like Randy and Cory talked about. That stuff is more about entertainment for me than anything else. Be a free thinker and figure it out.

Last edited:
I’ve been DIY backcountry hunting all over the west for 30 years but I still find value in these resources. There’s always something more to learn.

The Hunt Backcountry podcast

The Backcountry Hunting podcast

Eastmans Elevated podcast

Jay Scott Outdoors podcast

Epic Outdoors and Huntin’ Fool for state and unit specifics.

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
Randy Newberg has some great educational materials out there. In the offseason, it is a great way to learn and keep involved.

+1 on Randy Newberg and podcasts. There are also countless books on the topic and the more you read the more some of the useful information and experience of others stays in your head.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
Find a mentor. Someone who is willing to help you and be patient with your questions. You're right in "you don't know what you don't know." A mentor will be able to point out those things that you wouldn't even know you missed.

OP
H

HuntingEd

FNG
Thanks all!! very good info, only it helped confirm the 'I dont know what I dont know!" haha.

Lots of research in my future.

Thanks all!! very good info, only it helped confirm the 'I dont know what I dont know!" haha.

Lots of research in my future.

Elk shape and @sthealthyhunter do a camp in the off season you could look into

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Youtube videos. Randy Newberg, Born & Raised Outdoors, Elk101. Podcasts that others have mentioned. Elk101 online course.

Bachto

WKR
I might get some flack for this but I love GoHunt. It's $150/year and you not only get their map system which arguably might be better than Onx (in some ways more than others, I pay for and use both) but their tag tools and information about states is awesome! You can watch and read their articles for free I'm pretty sure.

tdoublev

FNG
Digging this thread up. I’m in the same boat as OP. Are there any sources you guys recommend that are NOT worth it? Primarily asking about the pay for advice platforms.

Like the ElkShape courses. I don’t know much about that one in particular. Sounds like more of a fun experience than a helpful learning tool than anything.

tdoublev

FNG
I might get some flack for this but I love GoHunt. It's $150/year and you not only get their map system which arguably might be better than Onx (in some ways more than others, I pay for and use both) but their tag tools and information about states is awesome! You can watch and read their articles for free I'm pretty sure.
Sorry , double post. Was also very interested in this one for the drawing info as I currently have no points in any states - fml. But the more I read about the exploding popularity and point creep, I get discouraged that the ship has sailed and I missed it. Also don’t know if OP was planning rifle or archery, but if anyone recommends archery specific resources that would be huge.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry , double post. Was also very interested in this one for the drawing info as I currently have no points in any states - fml. But the more I read about the exploding popularity and point creep, I get discouraged that the ship has sailed and I missed it. Also don’t know if OP was planning rifle or archery, but if anyone recommends archery specific resources that would be huge.
PM Sent.