DIY Rifle Elk

Looking at doing an elk hunt in 2020 or 2021. There will be 3 or 4 us, we all have some elk hunting experience and success. And we all are good experienced hunters from PA. We are looking a Colorado, and Idaho. We have all hunted CO a few times, either trespass hunts abutting blm, or guided hunts. We are looking to go the DIY route this time, or possibly a drop camp (I know they arent terribly popular here). But after talking to some people with connections in CO, it sounds like the elk hunting hasnt been the greatest in a lot of areas.

I'm interested in Idaho, but honestly have no idea where to even begin with that. It looks like last year they removed some units from the general license sales? Other than that, are there any general areas that are better than others? Any suggestions on where to look, or how to start researching decwnt areas?

We are all realistic in our expectations and realize it may take a few trips until we kill an elk.

We are from PA so we are all used to dealing with crowds and other hunters at times. I have no fallacy about being alone without bother anywhere we go.

Any help wpuld be appreciated for sure.

williaada

WKR
You and your buddies will be best served to select a unit in one of states and go hunt. Make sure to chose a unit to fit the groups hunting style.

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
Cool thing about Idaho is you can hunt elk and wolves.. shoot a wolf and get a $1000.

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a little Idaho data I graphed for one of my classes. If you decided to hunt Idaho this will give you a little insight into success rates and units.

Attachments

• Visual 1.pdf
    168.8 KB · Views: 60
OP
B
I have been trying to look at Idaho some.

As far as Colorado, ive done some looking and it looks like unit 41 around grand mesa could offer an interesting hunt with the possibilty of drawing a deer tag with no points.

Has anyone hunted 41 or have any insight for that area?

WIarrow

FNG
Can’t speak to CO, but I’ve hunted idaho for 20+ years. Review the success stats for each unit/zone and look for access points. Tough to get away from people ... in any state. Lots of good options, but need to find a way to get away from the crowds. Idaho web site has a lot of good information to help narrow your search.

From my research it would be ID 20A but that's just from my paperwork. I have zero experience elk hunting.