DIY - SE Alaska Coastal Black Bear Hunt, Thoughts..

Buddy and I are looking to add this to our list for spring 2021 or 2022. We have seen lodges that will let you tear around in their boats on your own but little else in the way of DIY info. We have been looking at POW but that's just because it seems to be the most popular island.

Has anyone done this that could kick us off in the right direction?

How's the draw odds for POW tags for non-residents?

Thanks everyone

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
Draw odds for POW aren't that good IMO. Nice bears on that island though! Can't help you as far as lodges that have boats, never done that. If you have a raft you could get dropped off in a plane somewhere remote and do your thing.

Aaron

Mt Al

WKR
I stayed at Adventure Alaska in Thorne Bay on POW twice quite a few years ago. i wasn't successful with my bear either time but that was on me. Can't say enough good things about the people, accommodations, boats, etc.. Spent most of my time fishing, saw a few bears on the road that then walked 1/4" (0.25 inches) off the road into the thickest, most nasty timber I've ever seen and disappeared. If you draw on POW I'd consider Adventure Alaska.

Some lodges on POW and in Ketchikan allow you to take their skiffs, but others have boundary restrictions. Ketchikan isn't remote, but there are some nice bears around. Knudson Cove Marina has skiff and Hewescraft rentals, but I am not positive they rent for bear season. Plenty of territory around Revilla if you have a boat.