DIY Seek Outside DST Tarp Clone

OP
dukesilver
The Xenox is poly. I would imagine it is similar to the silpoly by ripstop by the roll but I haven't handled the RBTR stuff.

How did you attach the pull out and pole reinforcements? Laminating with adhesive, sewn on, or both?

I'm in the middle of my tarp build, and trying to decide how to finish out the addition of the reinforcements. From my google searching, some people have had great results laminating silpoly/silnylon reinforcements onto main tarp.

OP
dukesilver
I just sewed them on and it works fine. I've seen people laminate them on too which I'm sure works too. I think it just comes down to personal preference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I think I'm just going to sew them on too. The DIY'er in me wants to try laminating, but that'd be a lot more work, when sewing alone should cover my needs.

lukelalor

FNG
What stitch did you use on the hem? I can't tell from the photo, but it looks like a straight stitch. If so, do you find this restricts the stretch of the seams?

I made this mistake on a tent a while back and have problems getting a tight pitch, but I don't know how much of it is the stitch vs poor cuts.

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
For my first MYOG project, I decided to make a clone of a Seek Outside DST Tarp. I purchased materials from Dutchware Gear.

Xenon Sil 1.1 $6.00/yard x 7 yards = $42

300D pack material $4.00 x ½ yard x = $4

5/8” Grosgrain $0.25/yard x 6 yards = $1.50

Gutermann Tera 80 thread $3.40 x 1 = $3.40

Permatex flowable silicone $6.50 x 1 = $6.50

Shipping =$10.90

All in all, it came out to $68.30 for all of the materials. Overall, for a first sewing project, this was doable. Essentially, it is just sewing 2 pieces of silpoly or silnylon together with a flat felled seam and adding the tieout loops. Then finishing the edge with a rolled hem. Joining the 2 pieces of Xenon together was tricky as it is super thin and slippery. This took took a couple of tries to get right. If you’re just starting out, I would recommend making something smaller first like some stuff sacks. A little bit of sewing practice at first would have eliminated a lot of the headaches I ran into on this project. After seam sealing the tarp came out to 13.6 oz.

I got to try this out in the Mark Twain National Forest back in February and it actually worked great. Got some pretty decent rain and wind overnight and the tarp held up well and I stayed dry. I really like the Xenon (silpoly). It has no stretch and doesn’t absorb water like silnylon so, your tarp pitch stays nice and tight.

Anyway, just thought I would share to encourage any members out there that are interested in taking a shot at making their own gear. Go for it. I have no experience sewing, so if I can pull this off so can you. Since the tarp turned out so well, I’ve since made a bivy sack too.

View attachment 171425

View attachment 171426View attachment 171429
View attachment 171430
Awsome job! What machine did you use?

Trial153

WKR
Looks good, nice work. .

Seeing the cost of materials I have new found appreciation for Seekoutsides prices. Lots of value in what they do.

OP
dukesilver
What stitch did you use on the hem? I can't tell from the photo, but it looks like a straight stitch. If so, do you find this restricts the stretch of the seams?

I made this mistake on a tent a while back and have problems getting a tight pitch, but I don't know how much of it is the stitch vs poor cuts.

I just used a straight stitch on the hems and it seems to work well for me. No issues with restricting stretch. I have a cimmaron from seek out side and they use a straight stitch on the hem too.

OP
dukesilver
Looks good, nice work. .

Seeing the cost of materials I have new found appreciation for Seekoutsides prices. Lots of value in what they do.

Totally agree. I have a SO cimarron and the construction is perfect. Also the sil nylon that they use for there tents and tarps are better quality than what I used. Nothing wrong with the Xenon it has worked out great from me so far but the SO stuff is just on another level.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Since with a flat tarp like this you can't really pitch it sealed to the ground on all sides, I don't think it would be ideal with a stove. Plus, I just bought a Cimarron with a large U turn stove for cold weather trips. I will likely use this tarp as and emergency shelter and on solo warm weather trips with my DIY bivy that I made. More of a light and fast set up. Cimarron for with another guy and a stove

You follow any plans on your bivy? Do you weights on your bivy and tarp setup together? Debating on another DIY project similar to this or buy the Stone Glacier SkyAir ULT tarp setup to be light and mobile during archery.

If I were to make something with a stove jack, it would probably be similar to live2hunt's DIY megatarp here: