Diy shelter question

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
Going to try and make my own tipi hot shelter. Going to hopefully be large enough for 3 guys and gear so I'll probably go with the specs for a 6/8 man tipi... Just curious if anyone knows the lightest material I can go with and still be safe to put a stove in it. Thanks so much for any help. I do enough solo trips that I want this to be light enough for me to pack in solo, but big enough when my hunting pards are with me..

OP
T

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
What material are you guys talking? Silnylon?

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
What material are you guys talking? Silnylon?

Yes. It's 1.1 oz per square yard. It actually comes in at about 1.35 oz after it's treated. Bear Paw Wilderness Designs makes some of the best Sil you can get your hands on IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I've got several yards of 1.1 silpoly that I ended up buying from Ripstop by the Roll. I plan to reinforce all the tie out points and am going to sew in a stove jack.

Jeremy

I would recommend Cuben Fiber. It is 1.0z and MUCH stronger and lighter than Silpoly or silnylon. Aside from being more $$$ I am not sure how they react to heat via a stove jack.

Mike7

WKR
The cuben is not recommended for shelters with stoves. You might want to consider a pyramid, if you want to have the shelter as light as possible and fit the most guys in as possible (tipis have a lot of gear space that only small pieces of gear can be placed but are otherwise unuseable areas in the shelter for people use). You will also want to have tieouts on all of the walls about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way up to increase useable space.

Also, tipis without stoves suck in cold humid climates, because they are hard to ventilate to prevent condensation, whereas pyramids are really easy to pitch up off of the ground to ventilate on one side, or all of the way around.

For sizing, having used a few pyramids myself of various sizes, for 3 guys and gear, with a small stove, I would make the pyramid the same length as the BPWD Luna 4, but make it about 1 foot wider (and put the door on the long side so that everyone can enter without climbing over each other) and put the stove pipe opposite of the door, with the stove thus out of the way of the entry and out of the way of sleeping spots. You might just want to look at the Seek Outside and BearPaw Wilderness Designs Shelters of that size (the Redcliff and Luna 6 I believe) and see if it is worth the hassle to make one. Also, I bet BPWD would make you a Luna type shelter to any specification/size that you want.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome. Thanks everyone! Appreciate all the feedback!