DIY shoulder mount?

brushape

WKR
Anyone on here ever do their own shoulder mounts? I haven’t but with the recent Down time and a buck taking up space that I wasn’t sure I wanted to pay to get done nows the time. So far I’ve ordered the McKenzie tanning kit and once I get the hide tanned and measured I will order the form and ear liners. Post up and share your diy jobs and any tips if you have them!!

To make the first post interesting ill put on some field photos
49171cf6e3573b2cff75cfa697d2494a.jpg

ca44b0232640aae7d14fc4115d40a379.jpg
73cdf45c43710a6645be989c586b9fbb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

brushape

WKR
Really hoping to do a full sneak pose but it looks like the selection of that pose for blacktail is really limited and I’m not sure if his rutted out neck is going to be too big for what’s available which is what happened on my last deer I had mounted

Pjd243

FNG
Look at Rinehart manikins eyes preset
Makes it a lot easier
Also go to taxidermy.net and search forums
Also you can send out your hide for fleshing and tanning

OP
B

brushape

WKR
Thanks I’ll check those out, doubt they make one for a blacktail though. I just finished fleshing and salting the hide and it looks like his neck is in a normal size range to give me plenty of mounting options

JMDavies

WKR
I admire your drive to do it all by yourself but thought I'd mention that a lot of tanneries will flesh, turn the ears and wet tan for about $100.

rclouse79

WKR
I wouldn’t trust myself with a pretty buck like that, but good luck if you give it a shot!

MTElk1987

FNG
There is only one way to learn! My first mount turned out terrible. But it’s still hanging in my shop to remind myself how far I’ve come. I’d suggest getting one of the deer mounting videos from Research Mannikins. And go from there. Turning the eyes, lips, nose, and ears isn’t too bad, just go slow especially on the ears. One other thing I’d also consider is having a tannery do the tan as opposed to using the kit. A quality tan can save a lot of headaches down the road. Up here in MT a deer hide tan is maybe $45. Don’t be nervous, take your time and have fun with it. Taxidermy is truly an art and a lot of fun along the way.

JMDavies

WKR
There is only one way to learn! My first mount turned out terrible. But it’s still hanging in my shop to remind myself how far I’ve come. I’d suggest getting one of the deer mounting videos from Research Mannikins. And go from there. Turning the eyes, lips, nose, and ears isn’t too bad, just go slow especially on the ears. One other thing I’d also consider is having a tannery do the tan as opposed to using the kit. A quality tan can save a lot of headaches down the road. Up here in MT a deer hide tan is maybe $45. Don’t be nervous, take your time and have fun with it. Taxidermy is truly an art and a lot of fun along the way.
Well said.

Try Research Manikins, They have at least two different lines of Blacktail forms, from a couple different sculptures.

MTElk1987

FNG
Try Research Manikins, They have at least two different lines of Blacktail forms, from a couple different sculptures.
Research carries Bill Lancasters line of Blacktail forms. I can’t speak to his blacktail forms as I’ve never used one, but his MD, WT, Sheep and antelope forms are flawless in my opinion.

OP
B

brushape

WKR
I know there is a tannery about an hour away In sf but I highly doubt they are operating right now

MTElk1987

FNG
They may be open I called the tannery I use the other day and they are still working as they can’t stop due to the capes already going through the tanning process. If you can get it fleshed, turned, and salted it last along for a long time before you need to get it to the tannery.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
I've done an elk,bear and a buck and they turned out great.im about to order forms for a caribou and another bull.Its not nearly as hard as I always thought before I started doing it and I figure if I mess it up I can always use another cape to redo it

OP
B

brushape

WKR
My tanning kit showed up today, hopefully dive into that tomorrow if I can track down the ph test strips

OP
B

brushape

WKR
@brushape
Interested in how your progress is coming. I've always kicked around the idea of taxidermy but have never attempted it.

Sorry late reply I’ve been taking it slow, got the hide tanned and shaved it was a lot of work but I feel like it came out well and I learned a lot. Just placed the order for the form last night so more progress should be coming shortly. A local retired taxidermist was super nice and answered a lot of questions for me lately and even let me slip the cape on some forms he had to check fit. It went on an 18” neck easy but I got greedy and ordered a 19” so I hope that doesn’t bite me in the ass the skin has a ton of stretch so I’m thinking it should be fine

Nice work, this is a great book if you need some more inspiration

ddd13ade422bf405ae32a7b612166185.jpg
Brush, I hope you didn’t take offense to my post! When I read the thread, all that I could think about was all of the awful taxi pictures that my daughters show me on instagram.

Jimss

WKR
There are some great videos available on some of the taxidermy supply websites. There also are a few decent youtube videos. I learned to mount my own reproduction fish and videos really helped out. I also bought a few fish taxidermy books that were dirt cheap online. As mentioned above, the taxidermy.net website is a great source. The guys on that website have a gob of experience and are willing to answer any questions. If you screw something up you can usually take your time and do it over again. There are a lot of tricks to the trade that you will likely pick up as you go.