DIY Southeast Alaska Black Bear Hunt

I'm looking to do a Black Bear Hunt in SE Alaska Spring 2025. I live in Montana and I bought a boat (17 ft V bottom 90hp) this year so ideally I'd like to drive up with my boat and do a Coastal bear hunt around Juneau, Ketchikan, or even put in at Prince Rupert and drive North to AK. This seems like a fairly easy DIY hunt, just a lot of travel involved. Has anybody done something like this? Any advice, recommendations, or experiences folks who have done this can share?

gerry35

WKR
I'm just east of Prince Rupert, you would have to drive through on your way to the Ferry. I'm not sure how it would work with customs to launch from Rupert but it is a short hop over to Ketchikan from here and would make your life much more simple. You could take the Ferry anywhere up that you would want to go. Pretty sure there would be lots of good areas around Ketchikan and save you some time and money. Make sure you have ocean fishing gear and you'll dine on fresh seafood as much as you want. If you find some sandy spots you could put down a trap for crab too.

OP
MTHunter10
I'm just east of Prince Rupert, you would have to drive through on your way to the Ferry. I'm not sure how it would work with customs to launch from Rupert but it is a short hop over to Ketchikan from here and would make your life much more simple. You could take the Ferry anywhere up that you would want to go. Pretty sure there would be lots of good areas around Ketchikan and save you some time and money. Make sure you have ocean fishing gear and you'll dine on fresh seafood as much as you want. If you find some sandy spots you could put down a trap for crab too.
Thats great to hear! How rough is the water from Prince Rupert if were to head north along the coastline towards the Southern point of the Peabody Mountains of Alaska? It seems like it would be fairly mellow since most of the water is shielded by the islands off of the coast of BC.

gerry35

WKR
Thats great to hear! How rough is the water from Prince Rupert if were to head north along the coastline towards the Southern point of the Peabody Mountains of Alaska? It seems like it would be fairly mellow since most of the water is shielded by the islands off of the coast of BC.
I can't tell you about exact hunting locations of course in that area, I know there are some guys on here from Ketchikan that could help with where you can hunt or what areas are closed. I have fished a bunch between Rupert and Ketchikan on our side and it definitely can be rough so you would need to watch the weather. Lot's of sheltered areas though so with common sense you'll do just fine with a 17' boat. You might need to wait out a storm before going over more open water but that's a normal thing to do.

gerry35

WKR
The Panhandle definitely has a lot more sheltered areas, you still need to be careful with the weather but it's a lot more sheltered.

Trial153

WKR
Honestly the travel headaches and expense of trailering a boat from Montana to Alaska, ferry or no ferry…you will be way ahead of game renting a boat for the duration of you hunt. I don’t recall what our boat rental was but it was negligible.

OP
MTHunter10
Honestly the travel headaches and expense of trailering a boat from Montana to Alaska, ferry or no ferry…you will be way ahead of game renting a boat for the duration of you hunt. I don’t recall what our boat rental was but it was negligible.
Idk, I'd disagree with you based on my research. Boat rentals are around 1k a day from what I can tell. A week of hunting and thats 6-7k of sunk cost. Gas in the pickup from Montana to trailer a boat up there and back would be around $600 which leaves about 6k in savings....unless I'm missing something? The travel would be part of the adventure, not a headache IMO. Driving 1200 miles through some of the prettiest country Canada has to offer.

Trial153

WKR
Idk, I'd disagree with you based on my research. Boat rentals are around 1k a day from what I can tell. A week of hunting and thats 6-7k of sunk cost. Gas in the pickup from Montana to trailer a boat up there and back would be around $600 which leaves about 6k in savings....unless I'm missing something? The travel would be part of the adventure, not a headache IMO. Driving 1200 miles through some of the prettiest country Canada has to offer.

We rented a boat for like 6 days in Ketchikan and it was nothing close to that, last I looked it was like 500 a day with a three day minimum

Do you understand the only place you can drive to in southeast Alaska is Haines that's coastal. The best way to get into SE Alaska would get taking the ferry from Bellingham WA with vehicle.
Also the size of your boat is pretty small to be running around SE, Yes people do it mainly there are locals with a lot of local knowledge of waters and weather. The water may look protected but can get pretty bad with winds that are funneled through the areas.
I would suggest finding someone in SE with local knowledge to help plan your trip or bounce ideas off of.

I have done this hunt several times. and it is a really fun trip.

I would highly recommend AGAINT launching from Pr Rupert. Getting across the Dixon Strait would be dangerous. Not to mention the ability to carry enough fuel without towing a barge!!! There are no other stops before Ketchican for services. I agree with prior posts. Would be cheaper to rent a boat at a local marina. Also tags need to be applied for 18mo in advance. so do you have a tag?

Let me know if you want any more info.

Scud

i hunted with a guy who drove from MT up to Prince Rupert, then took ferry to Ketch, then over to POW. He did it every year, his truck looked like the beverly hillbillies coming and going. Sad to say SE Alaska has a lot of restrictions these days, and tags are getting very hard to draw.

Good Luck!

Was that Big Dan?
Yes, Danny Moore. RIP, he was a pioneer up there Along with a couple guys from ID.

Ask Bob about the first time they met. Then ask him about the “little bear” A lot of history in that area. Since the draws and Dan’s passing, it’s pretty tame These days.

Last edited: