DIY Stainless Steel Stove

lmeyer

WKR
Im Making a DIY Stainless Steel Backpack stove for my tipi. I, using stainless. any one have experience with this? im wanting to know what thickness should i use for the body and what thickness of SS foil for the stove pipe? any help is appreciated.

Rich M

WKR
Can you research the commercially available versions and see what they list? Good place to start.

reaper

WKR
Im Making a DIY Stainless Steel Backpack stove for my tipi. I, using stainless. any one have experience with this? im wanting to know what thickness should i use for the body and what thickness of SS foil for the stove pipe? any help is appreciated.
Well with titanium its 005″ thick (.13mm) but with SS not sure

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

ahlgringo

WKR
I have made a few- found about the best weight/strength ratio for me has been .005

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

lmeyer

WKR
Thanks. thats a little different design than i was thinking. i was planning on doing a box instead of a cylinder. do you think .004 would still work? or do i need to go thicker?

gchs4464

FNG
Thanks. thats a little different design than i was thinking. i was planning on doing a box instead of a cylinder. do you think .004 would still work? or do i need to go thicker?

I have no idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbrown

WKR
I have not tried a box with the SS/Ti foils but I don’t think they would stand up for a box stove design unless you did something similar to the TI Goat WiFi. For the typical box stove I would try to find some sheets of gauged SS most likely 20-25ga.

Beendare

WKR
I have not tried a box with the SS/Ti foils but I don’t think they would stand up for a box stove design unless you did something similar to the TI Goat WiFi. For the typical box stove I would try to find some sheets of gauged SS most likely 20-25ga.

Agreed. Barrel shape is stronger than a flat sheet. The good commercial stoves know this....and they typically put a rib in it to add strength.

Think of it in terms of the metal roof panels....the formed ribs or ridges add strength. One of the commercial stoves I've seen has a metal Crimp at the midway point for stiffness. You can do the same with this SS shim stock and a metal break.

OP
L

lmeyer

WKR
not yet. its been on the back burner. i have some metal fabricator contacts through work that i plan on contacting for some help. ill update when i get started.