DIY stove design

snvts82

FNG
I’m a bit of a diy guy. I know there’s some quality titanium stoves out there but I think I may try to build my old. No sheet metal presses or anything but do have several years in fabrication. I was originally think a cylinder stove but came across this weird triangle prism design. I’m thinking 16”-18” and similar volume to the lite outdoors cylinder. So not exactly sure on the dimensions of the triangle end pieces with a 2.5” stove pipe. Whatcha all think. Any down falls of this design?

Attachments

• 5B591877-BCC8-460C-BCF7-0297FB91FCE4.jpeg
    5B591877-BCC8-460C-BCF7-0297FB91FCE4.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 149
That trough in the bottom looks like a PITA to scoop ash out of. You'd likely have to disconnect from stove pipe and take outside and dump. Not a deal breaker but a disadvantage compared to other designs.

Legend

WKR
I always line the bottom wirth dirt to protect the metal from the heat. This design wouldn't allow for dirt. But it looks cool and would be easy to cook on.

FNG
I built my own stainless arctic stove about 15 years ago from stainless steel. At the end, I saved about $150, but had lots more time in it than I thought. Also no warranty. I decided tjen, to only do that again if I have access to a sheet metal brake. If there is something commercially available with a reasonable material to price relation, I won't fool with this kind of sheet metal anymore.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to invest in a diy stove you really should consider a stainless rocket stove. You could have a self stoking stove, that can be cooked on and fold into itself.

LA Hunter

FNG
I like the design of your stove.

The angle at the bottom seems like it would make it easier to clean out the ash. Just use a stick and drag it out onto the floor (floorless)- or a pot lid and dump it outside.

I realize this is old, but did you ever make one? Were you pleased with its performance?

OP
snvts82

snvts82

FNG
unfortunately I did not end up building one. fortunately my buddy sold me a dirt cheap 18" lite outdoors stove. there are definitely a few things I dont like about it but for the price I couldnt pass it up