DIY stove guys

amp713

WKR
For the guys who have built DIY backpack stoves for hot tents I have a few questions

Looking at building a small stove but curious what most people pay to do the DIY route vs buying and how your weight compares?

I'd like to do a square stove like a TiGoat wifi but dont see much info out there on how to pull it off RIGHT so if anyone hs some links or info on that I'd love to hear also but I feel I will end up with a cylinder set up.

Do you guys feel that doing a DIY one is a good final solution or do you want to buy a production model eventually anyway?

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I’m happy with my cylinder stove. That being said, I’ve never owned a production one, so I could be missing out big time? Mine has a Ti body and pipe with stainless ends and stainless rod bent up for legs. I can’t remember how much I paid, but it was cheaper than buying a commercial one. I also got enough Ti for a baffle and am relatively satisfied with it, but again-no experience with a commercial one to compare it to. I’m no help on how to build a WiFi model. Whatever you decide, it’s a fun project that can get you a stove to help keep warm/dry stuff out.

Jeremy

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I’m happy with my cylinder stove. That being said, I’ve never owned a production one, so I could be missing out big time? Mine has a Ti body and pipe with stainless ends and stainless rod bent up for legs. I can’t remember how much I paid, but it was cheaper than buying a commercial one. I also got enough Ti for a baffle and am relatively satisfied with it, but again-no experience with a commercial one to compare it to. I’m no help on how to build a WiFi model. Whatever you decide, it’s a fun project that can get you a stove to help keep warm/dry stuff out.

Jeremy

How big of a stove did you build? I just need a small one is all.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a great question...I want to say 16”? It’s been a little while since I made it, so I’d need to go measure the dimensions. I think it was about 8” diameter. I have some in progress pictures that I took, too if that would help at all. If you end up bending up some legs for whatever stove you make, I’d highly recommend going to a welding supply shop and get some stainless welding rod in the diameter you want. It’ll come with way more than you need, but it’s a lot cheaper by the pound than one single piece of stainless at a specialty hardware place.

Jeremy

I made my own cylinder type stove, sounds similar to the stove gudspelr made. I used stainless burner covers from Wal-Mart for the ends, and can have an 16" long stove in either 7" or 10" diameters. I prefer thd 10" due to it being able to handle larger sized fuel. I believe I saved about $100 over buying one, but would not have had the option of 10" diameter if I had gone that route.

bbrown

WKR
I have built a handful of the cylinder stoves and for what they are they work perfect and save a few bucks vs buying one new. They will heat up your shelter to the point of running you out of your shelter yet won't hold heat all night but none of these style of stoves will. On later hunts with shorter days they are nice to warm up and dry out plus its amazing how much "entertainment" a guy can get out of tending a fire in one of these. The ones I have built are @10" diameter and use 18" long or @8" diameter and 12" long. Depending on the size of your shelter I would always lean towards a longer stove if you have the room as its easier to not have to break down the fuel into smaller sections.

I have thought about building something similar to the TiGoat WiFi but what material to use for the top and bottom plus how to make the door have been sticking points that I haven't found a solution i'm happy with yet.
e4no9Xb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
The bigger stove is heading with me and a buddy to AK on a moose hunt next week to heat my 8 man tipi. Its a bit bigger than the large Kifaru box stove in volume but weighs less than half with a 9' stove pipe. I had pretty much given up on the smaller size but a mid November late season deer hunt that I'm planning on packing into with my SuperTarp and Annex so I put together another smaller stove just so its not taking up too much space inside and it weighs right at 2 lbs with a 4.5' stove pipe. For the most part I built all mine out of SS material because the weight savings over the TI material wasn't enough to justify the cost for me. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions and I can walk you through how I put mine together and what changes I have made since I put the first one together.

Last edited: