DIY Tanning

Finch

WKR
You may see alum as a pickling agent online. I have linked the stuff that i have gotten the best results from below. About 12$ for a 1.5 lb bag and it will generally take you about 75-85% of a bag for a deer hide. Make sure to use it liberally and coat all exposed leather.

Anthony's Premium Alum Powder, 1.5 lb, Batch Tested & Verified Gluten Free, Granulated Pickle Powder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M8DLW9...abc_4Y0WRJMNDZN53S1GGN1A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Cool, actually just PMed looking for the stuff you use. Thanks. Possibly more questions to follow. :)

RedTimber

FNG
You can use wire hangers, i have about 10-15 in a shed rn, and they work well if you are case skinning furbearers. But you will prolly want to make your own frame if you are going to do deer. Mine is 4ft wide by 7ft tall and works for all whitetails and Sika deer as well as predators. Just custom build it to your specs with cheap thin wood from lowes or HD. Just use string, heavy fishing line, or Paracord for tieing.

4X8 sheet of 1/2 in. ply wood and roofing nails works good for streching a green hide on, just tack the hide fast too the ply wood and leave the nail heads stigk up where you can remove them, also makes a good backing for working a green hide.

RedTimber

FNG
4X8 sheet of 1/2 in. ply wood and roofing nails works good for streching a green hide on, just tack the hide fast too the ply wood and leave the nail heads stigk up where you can remove them, also makes a good backing for working a green hide.
This works too however it takes longer to dry than hanging. Did use this method earlier in my tanning days though and it did just fine for what i needed at the moment. Is definitely easier than making a frame and could be cheaper if you buy discount wood.

nltr

FNG
I’m new to tanning and workinf in some squirrel hides. What solution/product is everyone using for the final stage of tanning? The stuff I’ve got is just off Amazon.

RedTimber

FNG
I’m new to tanning and workinf in some squirrel hides. What solution/product is everyone using for the final stage of tanning? The stuff I’ve got is just off Amazon.
Depends on whether you are hard or soft tanning. Hard tan is easier and only requires borax and alum paste. Soft tan uses any variety of chemicals to put "clean" oil back into the hide so it can be made into garments etc.

nltr

FNG
Hard tan is fine for me. The kids want to put them up in their rooms. What was your process with the borax? I’m assuming you salt and salt bath before?

RedTimber

FNG
Hard tan is fine for me. The kids want to put them up in their rooms. What was your process with the borax? I’m assuming you salt and salt bath before?
no, powerwash the furs clean ( this is much easier than fleshing by hand), the mix half borax and half alum powder together and add a few ounces of water. you want a thickness similar to mashed potatoes. I've copied the alumni use below

RedTimber

FNG
salt bath is not necessary for cleaning. after fleshing use Dawn instead and clean with it and then wash off with cold water

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
Ah this thread reminds me - I followed some steps as described above about 3 years ago on a mule deer hide. Let it dry after 24 hr salt or so, crammed it in a home Depot bucket and haven't opened it since. Will go open it and report back.

Ah this thread reminds me - I followed some steps as described above about 3 years ago on a mule deer hide. Let it dry after 24 hr salt or so, crammed it in a home Depot bucket and haven't opened it since. Will go open it and report back.

It's dry, so shouldn't be rotten, right?

Also .. this hard tanning method with borax and alum, does that leave the hide stiffer?

brushape

WKR
I’ve tanned a bunch of hides both for shoulder mounts and rugs and by far the easiest most fool proof way is fleshing with a pressure washer and then tanning with krowtan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brushape

WKR
Would powerwash fleshing work for soft tanning as well?

Yes for sure, soft tanning is the same you just have to really work and stretch the hide through the drying process. I haven’t been able to get any good soft results with that but I also don’t have the time to be stretching a piece of fur all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk