DIY tarp!

Call me a poor college student that really cant afford any of the tarps online and personally i am not sure if i will like staying in one, so I got really into a creative mood an came up with my design for a tarp. I made a sketch an then I made the 3d model with paper. Tell me what you guys think. I haven't figured my dimensions yet.
Here is the sketch, and no it's not a kifaru.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362718708.950231.jpg
The 3d model.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362718926.653079.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362718953.669159.jpg
I am researching fabric right now but I basically am going to have a hexagonal shape in the front and a triangle in the back.
Thanks for any advice.

BigSurArcher

Banned
A triangle on each end would save a lot of guy line weight and material, and the dip in the middle will require a line to avoid right in your sleeping area. I'm a poor college student too though, so I know what you're going through. Get a sewing machine and 16ft of silnylon and start playing around.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
A triangle on each end would save a lot of guy line weight and material, and the dip in the middle will require a line to avoid right in your sleeping area. I'm a poor college student too though, so I know what you're going through. Get a sewing machine and 16ft of silnylon and start playing around.

So you think it would be easier to have no dip in the middle? I forgot to mention I will be using my trekking poles for the supports.

It might be easier to make a big rectangular tarp, and then put a door and an end on it. So you end up only having to make a few tough sewing areas and the big part is easily done.

You might be better off buying a Eureka or Cabelas 2 man tent... You can get some for under 100 bucks that are decent. Unless you already have the sewing machine. You might make out better going with an average tent and fore-go the hassles of wasting material etc. But if you really want a tarp, have at it!

OP
WyoBowhunter21
You might be better off buying a Eureka or Cabelas 2 man tent... You can get some for under 100 bucks that are decent. Unless you already have the sewing machine. You might make out better going with an average tent and fore-go the hassles of wasting material etc. But if you really want a tarp, have at it!

I have a eureka and a single man. Both are nice but just looking at other options. I will be home for spring break and my parents have the sewing machine. Basically I don't have the money for a mega tarp or others similar and I like making stuff. I figure I made a lodgepole bookshelf and bed so how hard is this.

ams

WKR
You could also make a full size functional version out of tyvek. Just use the tyvek tape to tape the pieces together on hoth sides and it will be waterproof. Search around and you could find enough material for 10-20 bucks. Just a suggestion if you want to try it out.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
You could also make a full size functional version out of tyvek. Just use the tyvek tape to tape the pieces together on hoth sides and it will be waterproof. Search around and you could find enough material for 10-20 bucks. Just a suggestion if you want to try it out.

What would be the downfalls of tyvek? Sorry I am a little new to this fabric concept.

R Miller

Lil-Rokslider
You could build that for real close to $90 if not less after R&D. Sil usually comes in 55"-65" widths at whatever length you want. I built several tarps along the same lines as a supertarp but slightly different. Start reading about cantenary curves if you want the dip in the ridge.
i-RPPNsdp-L.jpg

The little wings were an afterthought, I think this was 90" pole to pole and 106' beak to beak. Good luck, you'll have a great time using your homemade tarp/tent.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
You could build that for real close to $90 if not less after R&D. Sil usually comes in 55"-65" widths at whatever length you want. I built several tarps along the same lines as a supertarp but slightly different. Start reading about cantenary curves if you want the dip in the ridge.
i-RPPNsdp-L.jpg

The little wings were an afterthought, I think this was 90" pole to pole and 106' beak to beak. Good luck, you'll have a great time using your homemade tarp/tent.

Thanks!!! I will read up on those. I remember them from calc but not sure well enough to apply it. I am stuck in measurements right now.