DIY Tarptent weight?

BigSurArcher

Banned
I've got a pretty nice 2 person taptent coming along, just need to design a door and make a few modifications on it. I'm curious what you all would consider "ultralight" as far as weight goes NOT including stakes?

Here she is so far- I can post pics as I make changes in anyone is interested.

image-1_zps7c6f6b5b.jpg

image-1_zpse1c219ae.jpg

Manosteel

WKR
Wow, that looks great. I like how you made it with 6 sides, kind of a Hexagon design. I made (I mean my wife made :)) me a 9'x11' square tarp but added guy out point not only on the bottom edges but also at strategic locations on the sides about 2/3's of the way up.

With guy lines, stakes and baggies it comes in at 29oz. I bet yours is half that weight.

OP
BigSurArcher

BigSurArcher

Banned
Thanks! Yeah I'm about to sew in some guy out tabs half way up on the sides. Waiting for some extreme wind to set it up in to see if I can destroy it. I'm only $33 in so far.

Manosteel

WKR
If you made that youself, my hats off to you, that is some nice sewing work. I watched my wife do it and I like to think of my self as being pretty handi, but I know I would not have been able use the sewing maching with any kind of half decent result. It would have been a big mess and left forgotten. lol

what are your demisions?

OP
BigSurArcher

BigSurArcher

Banned
Yeah it will pitch flat also. Thanks for the sewing compliments too lol.

Dimensions are 8.5ft long, 5 ft wide at rear, 8.2ft wide in front (material). Actual ground space width depends on how high its pitched.

OP
BigSurArcher

BigSurArcher

Banned
Just weighed this baby at the post office- 10.2 oz without the stakes. They are .3 oz each and I'll need 8 of them, so it looks like the whole setup is coming in at 12.6 oz as it sits pictured. I still have about 1.5-2 oz worth of work to do, but I'm confident that the finished product fully enclosed and reinforced will be under 14.5 oz. My goal was 1lb.

OP
BigSurArcher

BigSurArcher

Banned
Anyone ever try to make one out of tyvek?

I tried it last year. It's tough stuff, but really noisy and doesn't pack down very small. I have read about other people using it with good success though.

littlebuf

Banned
man i never thought id want to know how to sew. you guys must have been paying attention in home edc. i just took it for the girls but never got any sewing skills out of it. did have a kid at 17 however so i guess i got out of it exactly what i was paying attention too...

man i never thought id want to know how to sew. you guys must have been paying attention in home edc. i just took it for the girls but never got any sewing skills out of it. did have a kid at 17 however so i guess i got out of it exactly what i was paying attention too...

That right there just made my night! I went back to this thread to ask what materials and if I could see your plans (if any). Thanks!

Dang thats nice!! I have been wanting to do something like that so i dont have to pack my 4# tent in the summer and early fall.What material did you use and where did you find it?
Thanks for showin it
Steve

OP
BigSurArcher

BigSurArcher

Banned
Ebay, silnylon. I have some really cool other designs in the works but I don't want to put them on the internet since there is nothing even close in design on the market. If anyone wants to buy this one, let me know. All I want for it is enough to pay for my next batch of materials. PM me.

Hardstalk

WKR
NIce tarp!!

Whats wrong with your front lawn though? :)

Let me point out something before this gets misconstrued. Bsa is an animal with a weedwhacker. Ive seen the pics! Its not the lawns fault. It tried. But stood no chance.

Weights and stitching look great!

Let me point out something before this gets misconstrued. Bsa is an animal with a weedwhacker. Ive seen the pics! Its not the lawns fault. It tried. But stood no chance.

Weights and stitching look great!

bwahahaha, hes never gonna leave that behind him..
i was more curious what denier silnylon you used and why you chose it?