DIY Texas Aoudad hunt

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
No dice, but had an excellent week. Hunted hard, covered a lot of ground, and enjoyed a week of solitude in a rugged place. I would definitely go again. Can honestly say just the pursuit was a blast.

f8ffc2b08c099b8278e1142cd5240371.jpg

671a2186d772eb15281acc9ba9914ce3.jpg

bc99a03b75f2752a71c4c9a095f9b7ce.jpg

52cb148e51a8c1dd1a5e0eb85b623308.jpg

152a8f0e5b5aab002f5740624c978e66.jpg

f3dc12356d0e38820fe9a2851bfe5dda.jpg

b5ab242f4dec5f0a275ad88713717c5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you just not find one you were looking for? I've been really interested in doing almost exactly this for awhile now

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Joshf303*

Lil-Rokslider
Update.

Got the 300wm set up for 200 eldx. Perceived recoil is honestly about the same as tikka, which was a pleasant surprise. Planning on spending some more time at the range over next couple weeks.

Fitness is where I want, gear is pretty much set. Finalizing Binos, bringing a leica 62 televid for a spotter.

For those that have hunted this ranch, did you find a lot of opportunities glassing from truck?

Reading and searching more for tactics.

Thanks for following along, and big thanks to all that have reached out with advice and information.

There is plenty of opportunity to glass from the truck on the Van Horn. Pretty slim chance of seeing much of the few places that hold sheep though.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Did you just not find one you were looking for? I've been really interested in doing almost exactly this for awhile now

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Didn’t see anything. Hunted hard, hiked hard, and spent a lot of time behind glass. I’m by no means a highly skilled, experienced guy but feel pretty comfortable. Just wasn’t in the cards. I found some beds and scat at the end, just couldn’t get on them. A couple crazy windy days and a few factors outside my control.

I’d go again, had a great time. At the end of the day it’s a DIY hunt for an elusive animal. Mike with WTHO was cool and easy to deal with.

There’s more than a few other roksliders that have done this hunt successfully.

Gdharmon1

FNG
So there’s a cancellation this September for a DIY on the lower van horn. Am I a sucker to book it? Will the heat be rough? It says it’s a rut hunt but I’m guessing they will be bedded all day. Any thoughts on taking the hunt would be greatly appreciated.

S-3 ranch

WKR
So there’s a cancellation this September for a DIY on the lower van horn. Am I a sucker to book it? Will the heat be rough? It says it’s a rut hunt but I’m guessing they will be bedded all day. Any thoughts on taking the hunt would be greatly appreciated.
Yes it will be very hot , October-December is the rut, , glass The shady areas and them moving to water and shade, in September van horn area sunset is super late
its almost in the MTZ, so hunt zero dark 30 am and 5- dark 30

Gdharmon1

FNG
Yes it will be very hot , October-December is the rut, , glass The shady areas and them moving to water and shade, in September van horn area sunset is super late
its almost in the MTZ, so hunt zero dark 30 am and 5- dark 30
Do you want to hunt some time out there and take a new sheep hunter out and show him the ropes?

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR

I’d go. Can’t find them sitting at the house.

S-3 ranch

WKR
You better book this quick, I see they only have one spot left for diy 2023