DIY tree saddle?

Titan_Bow

WKR
Getting a little tired of finding spots a mile or two in and not wanting to haul a hang on stand. Really interested in the idea of a saddle. I don’t really want to drop the coin on a Tethrd or the like. I’ve been using a rock climbing harness for years as my safety harness. Seems like it would “almost” work but hanging out in a rock climbing harness for more than a couple hours doesn’t sound fun. I have watched some YouTube vids of guys taking a sit-drag and using it as a seat for a DIY saddle. Anyone done this? Seems like it would be pretty simple and not expensive. Looking for some feedback from others who have gone this route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
I have hunted out of one that I made for several years. Lots of builds on saddlehunter.com. They are very simple to make if you have sewing experience and a capable machine.

The bulk of a hang on is what I wanted to get away from. Both have their place.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

There is an arborist harness guys have used. It’s about $50. I’ll see if I can dig up the info. Other than that, there are plenty on diy plans.

Carr5vols

WKR
I bought fabric and wipped the ends like a hammock. No sewing required and works perfect with the RCH. Connected to tree by both at all times.

3B136101-0A0D-4A37-97C1-EDB48B325897.jpeg
This is from a while back and I don’t think it’s on sale anymore but they pop up on saddle hunter every now and again. SH also has a member map of you can contact somebody with a saddle to try out, it helps a lot.

Btaylor

WKR
Made one out of fleece like what @Carr5vols mentioned above. Just used a gray fleece throw from walmart and some spare 8mm accessory cord. Paired with a rock climbing harness. There is a thread on SH about making them.

Triple d

FNG
I've been looking to buy a tree saddle for whitetail hunting. Never thought about building my own...... not sure I trust my sewing ability 🤪. Might have to looking one of those arborist ones to save some cash.

is saving a couple hundred bucks worth falling on your head in the woods if something fails? find a good used saddle on facebook...

ZuluBravo

WKR
I’ve made two now. Easy to make if you have access to a medium duty machine. A two piece saddle is much more comfortable for me. Be sure to reinforce stress areas with a boxed x or bartack. I’ve got about $50 in each of these. B5352A1B-5DCF-4A87-A151-A38A0C72DE22.jpeg5539D0DC-C419-4FAC-8673-1B4BD56A84B9.jpeg06950E03-DDA4-4C63-8E76-8278C3812B06.jpeg93B8F4ED-7817-4689-A3FF-097E91CD5BB1.jpeg

fjefman

FNG
Yes, I'd recommend NOT using a climbing harness...and most tree stand harnesses with a similar leg strap design. They are designed only to support weight in a fall...they do limit blood circulation and with long term "handing" use they will your legs to fall asleep and eventual unconsciousness.

This is why really good stand harnesses have a hanging leg loop that you can alternately stand on to relieve the constriction around the thighs.

And this is why arborist harnesses (mentioned above) have more of a semi-rigid seat.