DIY Treesaddle

ozyclint

WKR
hope you don't mind if i add my DIY saddle.
i made a saddle from 500D cordura and bits and pieces i had and it's very comfortable. i use it with a rock harness and climb SRT. i made a ring of steps out of aluminium 4"x 2" box and lined the outside with marine carpet for noise suppression and grip in wet weather. on the bridge i use a tautline hitch and a prussic for the backrest adjustment which gives alot of scope for comfort.
i have a 65' length of 11mm rope for climbing which sounds long but it allows me to go over a branch or fork in a tree which can sometimes be much higher than where i want to hunt from or anchor at the ground or to adjacent anchor points instead of having to girth hitch the trunk which is great because you can't always girth hitch because of lower limbs or not being able to thread the throw line where it needs to be to do so.

total weight of my system- saddle, bridge, tether, ROS, throw bag and lines, climbing rope, rock harness is 11 pounds. once you have some pre set trees you can carry less and be in the tree sooner.

Attachments

• IMG_7910.JPG
    IMG_7910.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_7911.JPG
    IMG_7911.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_7912.JPG
    IMG_7912.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 92

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome work. Can I ask what kind of sewing machine and needle you used? Wondering if a regular machine will get the job done, or if you need to step up to something more industrial.

mag1

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone wanting to do a diy saddle, look up the “wraptor” on saddlehunter.com. Actually, here is the link. Very easy to make, you will need a heavy duty sewing machine to industrial if you want to sew thrun3 layers of webbing. Or find a local seamstress or sail/canvas maker/ possibly a leather maker as well. There are some tweaks coming, that make them even better. I found it to be more comfortable than the mantis and flex. been using a saddle for the last 2 seasons fir Whitetails. You can get everything you need to make one on www.doublesteps.com He has a double d-ring setup, or amazon has some round rings that go on sale pretty cheap.

heres another option if you want to buy, built off the old Anderson tree sling concept. Very affordable.

Last edited:

mag1

Lil-Rokslider
Here's another version of the Wraptor, now called the Wrap2r. I am working on my 2nd one, and it is a combination of the 2.

Tailz190

FNG
I can't remember where I ordered that mesh...seems to me a few places carry it.

I did not build a platform....thinking about it but I need to order some pure argon for my welder.

I'm thinking I might be able to just put a 12" long piece of 1/4 angle [aluminum at the top of one of my hawk sticks. I have some that is 3"x4"...a bigger platform is going to make all the difference.

I have those wild edge steps....they are ok....but no weight savings over my sticks.

After a couple hunts, I'm going to need to make a cushioned insert for this saddle if I want to hang this 235# body in it for more than a couple hours.

I just ordered some material from ripstop by the roll for a DST Tarp and saw that they carried the ballistic mesh and thought what can you make with that ? You just answered my question and now I have a new project !! Thanks bro!!

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Oh wow, old thread......... I'm just now considering modifications to my saddle.

So mine fits like a glove....easy to do when you make it to fit.

My problem is at 6'4" 240-ish and even worse, I'm 62, my saddle that feel great for the first 15 minutes is a torture chamber in 45 minutes. The pressure on my hips is the problem. The smaller guys don't seem to have this problem.

I'm working with a piece of kydex and a chunk of plastic to use as a seat insert to take the pressure off my hips.

I'm thinking that all of my custom fit will go to waste with this seat....but e shall see. The problem is it takes awhile to test...as they all feel good for the first few minutes.

_____

Tnguy22

FNG
Nice work on the build. Made my own Saddle this year kind of like a sitdrag system with a climbing harness for safety. Ready to give it a try.