DIY Treesaddle

Beendare

WKR
A guy could sew one of these things in one night pretty easy. This one took me about three nights with a lot of seam ripping as what I would do is Tenp stitch and then test it for comfort. It took me three tries to get the shape to where it was super comfortable. I used to have an old commercial tree saddle that just wasn’t comfortable at all and sold it. This one Feels pretty good I think because it’s a custom fit.

116138B5D3339C-C5B1-42A9-98C1-F53AADBFD547.jpeg23E3819C-0DB9-4DC3-B686-33ACDF0BD9B9.jpeg23E3819C-0DB9-4DC3-B686-33ACDF0BD9B9.jpeg
I thought abiut adjusrers but dont think i need them.

The main body is that ballistic mesh they use on bulletproof vests, it has 2 way stretch, stitched with 6 runs sanwiched between 2 seatbelt webbing.
I hooked it to my truck to test stitching, pretty easy to make these strong as heck.
I added some thin black neoprene at pinch points.

I sometimes find a remote spots while out and about and thought it would be nice to have a Ultra Light tree setup with me in that event.

This wont take The place of my Lonewolf tree stand but it’s going to be great on the areas where I’m covering a lot of miles and I don’t want to haul 20 pounds around. The saddle itself right now is under 1 pound but will need a bridge and tree tether- another 1-2#. Im still playing with climbing systems. SRT probably won’t work well on fir trees.

I’m probably going to go with the one stick plus aither method and then have a safety rope to repel out if necessary.

I will weigh it all and report back, the goal is all in at 6# or so. Might work,eh?

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Sorry abiut duplicate pics, doing this in my phone.

If i find a good alloy buckle, i could cut the weight of that saddle by 1/3rd. I used an old safety belt buckle.

Im still dialing in the leg sfraps, using 2 steel D rings there.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
This project seems daunting...but it was easier than I thought. A guy can buy one of the commercial versions for $200...but what makes it worth it is you can custom fit it to you with a little bit of trial and error.

So to answer any questions on pattern I can tell you its pretty simple; I formed a big "O" with seatbelt webbing that forms the belt portion and the section of web just under you where your buttocks and legs meet in a continuous loop. I added the belt loop section inside of that. The perfect location for the lower strap is going to be different for everyone....mine is just a little down the leg. Too high up and I felt like I would slide out...too low cut off the circulation to my legs.

Everything can be tacked together...so extra web and a big chunk of fabric is the way to go to start. Then I just went about forming the bucket, tacking it and testing by sitting in it for awhile. I would adjust and test...until- BAM- it felt really good with the pressure points on my hips I had on that commercial saddle.

Then I added another layer of web and stitched the crap out of it. Easy to make these super strong as long as you have a machine that will plow through multiple layers of webbing.

That ballistic webbing is perfect for this...it has 2 way stretch....and its strong stuff.

Nice work! are you on SH?
I've cruised the site stealing info /grin.....I'm not an active poster, not much to add.

WoodBow

WKR
I built one, hunted out of it one time, and i quickly realized i no longer had a use for treestands. I hunted out of it exclusively last year. I have since built 2 for friends. Fun easy project if you can run a machine.

Great option if you are hiking in very far.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
What climbing system do you prefer Wood?
Climbing sticks are the easiest to use but the least packable. If im need more compact i use the wild edge steps. They work great but take a little more time up and down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Squirrels

WKR
Carbon bolts or Squirrel steps are as compact as it gets. I tried SRT, but it’s only good for presets in my opinion so I ditched it all together. Want to give one sticking with a mini stick a try.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Right now I'm hunting public....so drilling trees isn't an option....otherwise those carbon bolts would be light/compact. [or we use these high strength pins in Versalok retaining wall systems that would work as well]

Those Squirrel steps seem well received.

I have some of the old strap on steps and never liked them due to not being able to get the straps tight enough....but now have some of those buckles everyone on Saddlehunter likes- the OCB buckles- coming and will give those a try. if those work I have an idea I want to try too.....

thill

FNG
I like how you custom fitted the tree saddle. Could you share where the Ballistic Mesh was purchased?

WoodBow

WKR
I will update my previous repsonse to say that im building stick out of emt conduit now and largely prefer them over the wild edge steps. 3 weighs 6 lbs fully rigged.
001c88b49e4ab4122a61f95617fd0e22.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

crafty

FNG
Have you tried a knaider and swaider with the wild edge steps? Cary half as many steps, half as much weight and get just as high

WoodBow

WKR
Have you tried a knaider and swaider with the wild edge steps? Cary half as many steps, half as much weight and get just as high
I would recommend it. Not so much for weight reasons with the steps but more for time. Those things suck to attach so fewer is better. Ive considered adding aiders to my sticks but im getting high enough with 3 and the weight of 3 is no big deal. May add some for the rare occasions when i need to get a little higher.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
I have a diy saddle made very similar to yours. I use a self climbing step system.
Basically my sling is attached to the tree with a choker strap. My platform is a 24" long 2x2 that also attaches to the tree via a choker. I attach both. Then stand on the 2x2 and raise the saddle as high as I can, then sit in the saddle and raise the 2x2. Repeat until your as high as you want. I can move about 18" per lift and it takes very little effort.

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
The 2x2 ends up being the platform. you stand on out with the tree between your feet. There's only two parts to the system, your saddle( mine has a harness attached) and the platform. Using both in tandem you can ascend and descend the tree. I tie my saddle to my tether rope with a prusik knot and my harness is attached on a look at the end of the tether.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I can't remember where I ordered that mesh...seems to me a few places carry it.

I did not build a platform....thinking about it but I need to order some pure argon for my welder.

I'm thinking I might be able to just put a 12" long piece of 1/4 angle [aluminum at the top of one of my hawk sticks. I have some that is 3"x4"...a bigger platform is going to make all the difference.

I have those wild edge steps....they are ok....but no weight savings over my sticks.

After a couple hunts, I'm going to need to make a cushioned insert for this saddle if I want to hang this 235# body in it for more than a couple hours.

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Nice. I use a SitDrag that is similar, since I don’t sew. I like using my LW Hand Climber seat as a foot platform and climbing aid - tie off my rock harness, raise the foot platform, raise the rock harness, etc etc. Saddles are great to have in the arsenal and I would never haul a climber again for my backcountry deer hunts.