DIY Ultra Light Pack Setup

jc91

FNG
So I was trying to find a new light weight pack option for this year, and I was having a very hard time finding exactly what I wanted. Instead of spending several hundred dollars for something that wasn't perfect, I just decided to make it myself. So, my goal was to create a hunting pack that was lighter than any off the shelf option, specifically I wanted frame and bag to be below 3.5 lbs. My constraints were that it needed to hold winter gear and 5 days of food, carry 80 lbs, and all the fun typical desires such as water resistant, etc etc etc.

I decided to use Robic 210d since ripstop by the roll was having a pretty good sale on it at the time. Some of my other bags are made with it and I have come to really like the material. I designed the shape of what I wanted the final product to be in solidworks and used that to create a cut guide with seam allowances, notches, etc.

After a couple days of sewing, I finally have a product to test! I used the kifaru ultra light frame to mate my bag to mainly because of its versatility and ease for bag mounting options as well as its a light weight frame that doesn't depend on any features on the bag to maintain its load carrying capabilities.

The bag and frame together came in at 3lbs 4 ounces. I don't know of any off the shelf setup that is this light and can haul as much weight as this can, and if there is I guess ill have to make a new bag. My base weight with my rifle, tripod, and late season gear is now at 26.5 lbs. I could shave some weight by leaving optics, tripod, etc behind depending on the hunt.

I can say there will be lots of changes in revision 2, but I am pretty satisfied with this prototype. Now to load test until failure.

Let me know what you guys think!

back 2.jpgback.jpgfront.jpgside 2.jpgside.jpgside2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
J

jc91

FNG
Thanks! I appreciate it. This was my first backpack actually and didn't take as much skill as it took planning really.

OP
J

jc91

FNG
I don't have a background in sewing, but I used to work at Feathered Friends so I have been around textile manufacturing before and kinda knew about the process. But I worked cutting designs out of the fabric and not sewing.

I got around to doing some initial load tests with the pack. I ramped up the weight to 120 total pounds and going on a quick little walk, followed by very exaggerated jumping and shaking of the weight to give it some dynamic effect to the loading. After checking the pack out, all the seams and stitching appeared to be good to go! No stretching or broken seams present.

I only plan to carry 80 lbs max at a time so that gives me a safety factor of 1.5, which I think will account for the fatigue of the thread and material. I'm going to keep load testing the pack a lot before I feel comfortable taking it into the back country for the first hunt, but so far things are looking good!

This shows the pack loaded up with 17lbs of gear in the bag, 42lbs of water in the container, and a 61lb concrete slab (wrapped in a trash bag). The amount of room in between the frame and bag is ridiculous and only valuable during this testing phase.Load1.jpg

Felix40

WKR
Any idea what kind of volume the bag is? Any issues with not having it attached at the top of the frame like kifaru does? Looks like moving one of the compression straps could make those side pockets a lot more useable. Makes me want to make one for my bikini frame.

OP
J

jc91

FNG
No issues so far not having the bag attached to the top of the frame. The 8 straps seem to provide more than enough compression with or without stuff in between the frame. I am still trying to figure out if its something that I want to add or not. Weight is kinda the factor with that. I don't have an exact volume measurement but I am estimating it to be between 3600 and 4000 cubic inches (60~65 liters). I did end up sewing button holes in each of the side pockets for the straps to go inside the pocket rather than over. That bothered me too.

I definitely would recommend it if you are motivated and find yourself not completely satisfied with other options. Closest thing I found to being content was the Kifaru Argali, but the weight was its downfall. It weighs 32 oz and, compared to my 10oz, that's pretty easy weight to cut.

Felix40

WKR
Weight is definitely a downside of the kifaru bags. Im running a highcamp which is one of their minimalist but just changing material would cut the weight in half.

OP
J

jc91

FNG
Definitely, that’s kind of what my mentality was. Also cost was some of the motivation for this bag as well. I think I’m about $20-30 into the materials for this bag.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
The HMG 4400 Porter is a pound under your 3.5, but it really tops out around 60-65# to me. Cool set up, and WAY cheaper!

OP
J

jc91

FNG
The HMG 4400 Porter is a pound under your 3.5, but it really tops out around 60-65# to me. Cool set up, and WAY cheaper!

I actually pulled from the HMG porter a decent amount in designing this bag. I am definitely going to try to do another bag and get my weight down more. I am trying to ignore cuben fiber because of its low penetration strength, but its hard considering its half the weight of robic 210d.

Also, for anyone curious about the comfort of the kifaru UL compared to the duplex hunter, the frame feels very comfortable up to 80lbs and then it starts to get uncomfortable. 120lbs is not comfortable at all, but Ill never be going above 80 anyways. In pretty much every situation I think its more comfortable than the duplex hunter.

Very nice work! I did something similar last year with my son’s Stone Glacier pack. Not at all as extensive as the work that you put into yours, but the same concept. I wanted him to have the ability to comfortably carry a heavier load, but I also wanted to trim as much weight off of everything, so his pack-in would be as light as possible. I bought a Zpack’s cuben fiber Airplane bag and had straps/buckles sewn to it, in the same places that they are attached to SG bags. This way he could have a approx. 5500 in.³ totally waterproof bag, that weighted about 4 oz., and would attach to his frame, allowing him use of the SG load shelf as well. It ended up shaving a little over 2 lbs. off of his original pack weight and cost about $65.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually pulled from the HMG porter a decent amount in designing this bag. I am definitely going to try to do another bag and get my weight down more. I am trying to ignore cuben fiber because of its low penetration strength, but its hard considering its half the weight of robic 210d.

I wouldn’t be too concerned with the thought of CF not being durable enough. The heavier duty CF is very durable, while still being incredibly lightweight. At 1.43oz./sqyd., these bags are no joke.

OP
J

jc91

FNG
I wouldn’t be too concerned with the thought of CF not being durable enough. The heavier duty CF is very durable, while still being incredibly lightweight. At 1.43oz./sqyd., these bags are no joke.

Did you load up the frame and rely on the pack to distribute a load ever? If so, how much weight and how many straps were distributing? That's really good to hear and I might have to give it a try. I guess, now that I think about it, low puncture strength would have nothing to do with seam creep as the tensile strength would have a larger effect.....

If you were to do another bag, would you do 1.43 again or 2.92? The 2.92 is appealing because of the 50d poly on the outside for abrasion resistance but comes at a high cost due to the weight. Do you think added abrasion resistance would have been worth it in your situation?

Looks like I'm gonna buy some cuben fiber. (y)

Did you load up the frame and rely on the pack to distribute a load ever? If so, how much weight and how many straps were distributing? That's really good to hear and I might have to give it a try. I guess, now that I think about it, low puncture strength would have nothing to do with seam creep as the tensile strength would have a larger effect.....

If you were to do another bag, would you do 1.43 again or 2.92? The 2.92 is appealing because of the 50d poly on the outside for abrasion resistance but comes at a high cost due to the weight. Do you think added abrasion resistance would have been worth it in your situation?

Looks like I'm gonna buy some cuben fiber. (y)

I put it together for my sons sheep hunt last year and it held up great for the 10 days that we were out for. The vast majority of our hiking was above tree line but we did log several miles of bush whacking through alders and blow down spruce, etc. I didn’t load him up too heavy because he’s a pretty small kid but his heaviest packs were probably in the 50-60 pound range. I don’t think it would be a bad idea to go with the heavier hybrid material, but I was pretty satisfied with how this all turned out, and for my purposes, I don’t think I would’ve changed anything. Here’s a few pics of the set up from that hunt.
7d22124ca9f5084ead5b8c26f7d2b08e.jpg

6b058a8c8e9acf696ff5e1314698d624.jpg

274aeb42323d8e3ee897eae5ebf76aa2.jpg

389d47223a44aacdd7df9a9f5c427834.jpg

b0584527a8c250c0a312ff178719254b.jpg

6e030a7931737372f7317e16a5ae0382.jpg

Just saw this. That z-packs mod is pretty cool! Who did the sewing for you? DIY?

I took it to a local tent manufacturer here in town, and since it only took them about 20 min. and they’ve done a fair bit of work for me in the past, they didn’t charge me. I went ahead and put DCF tape on the backside of all the sewing work, just to maintain it’s waterproof properties, but my main objective was just for this bag to survive this one hunt, and I really didn’t care what became of it after that. Anyway, it shows little to no where in tear whatsoever, and as far as I can tell, it’ll probably survive at least a few more of these types of hunts. Here are a few more pics.
ce927f31992daac99571b3350951e3cd.jpg

258120fd67f51f05e96f153f8844161b.jpg

14ab7f82e2b6115bb87c86adba9b57d0.jpg

9d127fa07eddb29cce69e6e3466e8400.jpg

fdd2f09f3c1cee4dba5cafb47f32153f.jpg

916943ea48f87dfed57db962f2e406f6.jpg

I do think I’m going to have it reinforced a little better up by where the load lifters are attached, but other than that, it’s pretty bomber.