DIY wind checker?

Wrench

WKR
Corn starch in a nalgene bottle (mini) worked...but isn't a cost savings until you refill. Get a small funnel and a straw or chopstick to "stir" the powder down.

WoodBow

WKR
Anyone had good success making homemade wind checker? Tia
They are so cheap that its almost not worth the trouble. Ive heard of guys using old eye drop bottles. If milk weed grows in your area, thats the best wind checker you can use. Just harvest the pods when they start to open up. Better than a puffer bc you can see where the wind goes. Ive been in a treestand and have a tuft come back by me minutes after having dropped it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
I use micro balloons to refill the same
bottle. A little puff after a shake and it comes out like smoke.

Wrench

WKR
Have you found a cheap source for microbaloons? I use them in my stock rebuilding. ...but I can't afford to send them to heaven.

Jbehredt

WKR
Have you found a cheap source for microbaloons? I use them in my stock rebuilding. ...but I can't afford to send them to heaven.

Had to go back and look. I got an 8oz bottle on eBay for $10.95. I’ve refilled with it twice and it still looks full...

PSDBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Another milkweed user here.

I harvest the pods when they are dry, shuck them in a plastic bag, and remove the seeds. Then you can put them in an old pill bottle or something similar.

WoodBow

WKR
Another milkweed user here.

I harvest the pods when they are dry, shuck them in a plastic bag, and remove the seeds. Then you can put them in an old pill bottle or something similar.
Remember these old coin purses? They work well for holding it. I tend to just stuff some in my vest pocket....assuming its cold enough for a vest.
d1d5ffdfea747045bcbae4a790f5159f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Or pull some down from your $300 coat and use that!

I refill my own using cornstarch, works great, but I'm going to try and find some milkweed pods and try them.
If you don't find any I can send you some for cost of shipping. I have a shitload of plants at my in-laws' lake place.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks Boxer, I may take you up on the offer. We used to have plenty of it around here, but it doesn't seem so plentiful anymore. I know my girlfriend just pulled a couple out of the pasture a week or two ago.
Sounds good. I sent out a bunch last year and don't mind doing it again for you or anybody else.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk