DIY wind checker?

Ive found Egg yarn from my fly tying bench works awesome. fairly cheap and a 6 inch piece will last all deer season.
Definitely nice to have something you can use all season. The thing I like about milkweed over a string or powder is that unless it's very calm it will show you not just what the wind is doing right where you are but also what it does as your scent travels away from you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ozionics made a wind tracker which was basically a couple of cotton balls in a neat little zipper pull deal. You pull out a little tuft of cotton, let it fly, like the Milkweed. I would wager a fella could just keep a couple of cotton balls handy.

Ozionics made a wind tracker which was basically a couple of cotton balls in a neat little zipper pull deal. You pull out a little tuft of cotton, let it fly, like the Milkweed. I would wager a fella could just keep a couple of cotton balls handy.
Can't see why that wouldn't work. Same concept, natural fiber meant to spread seed on the wind, albeit one a little further from the natural source.

Robnewf

FNG
Carpenters chaulk for refilling chaulk line tool. Its blue and easily seen as well as scent free. Its put it in old drink mix squeeze bottles(mio brand name)

Sent from my 9024O using Tapatalk

kiddogy

WKR
my homemade windchecker is my sense of feeling.
if it's in yer face ,it's blowin the right way.

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
Sounds good. I sent out a bunch last year and don't mind doing it again for you or anybody else.

Pretty sure you sent me some. That stuff works great!!! I need to come up with a better holder for it tho.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Jimss

WKR
My favorite wind checker is dyed floating fiber. It's possible to watch the fiber for a long ways out. Obviously wind currents and directions can often change farther from your location. In fact, once the fiber gets out of visual range I've watched the fiber through my binos. White milkweed against a bright sky may be somewhat tough to see. If you could somehow dye milkweed a bright color that would be even better!

Skinnj01

FNG
Remember these old coin purses? They work well for holding it. I tend to just stuff some in my vest pocket....assuming its cold enough for a vest.
d1d5ffdfea747045bcbae4a790f5159f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I use milk weed as well. Never thought of the coin holder. Awesome idea. Believe I will be working one of those into my budget this year. Lol