DIY Woobie Inner/Outer Material?

TheCougar

WKR
I’m making a DIY woobie. I’ve gone over all the threads I can find and it seems like the options for inside and outside fabrics are all over the place. Some guys used Robic, some guys used differing weights of HyperD (calendared and uncalendared), others used DWR coated nylon. I’m totally unfamiliar with fabrics and proper uses. I’d like some inputs on the proper face fabrics for the inside/ outside of the woobie. I’m primarily going to use it to keep warm and out of the wind while glassing/sitting and around camp for the kids. I’d like it to be wind resistant and durable, while keeping the weight reasonable. So far my research has led me to 1.1 or 1.6 HyperD, 1.3 Hybrid Ripstop Nylon, or 1.1 MTN Silnylon for the outer face and 1.0 HyperD for inside face. Are any of these better suited to my purposes or am I missing a better fabric? Should I get calendared fabric on both sides? Thanks for educating me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I used the calendered 1.6 HyperD. It was a little clammy at first but after a few washes, it's super comfortable.

NoWiser

WKR
You can order samples from RBTR. I'd recommend it. My next one will be 1.6 oz calendered HyperD for both sides.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
The FAQ section on ripstopbytheroll states that you can use uncalendered fabric for synthetic insulation. But it is also what makes the fabric "downproof".
The FAQ also mentions that is helps with wind-proofing, which is why I’m getting at least on face calendared. Not sure if both need it however. The fill material will be 3.6Apex.