Diy woobie?

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
It doesn't bunch. It' a contentious fiber insulation. When you sew the edges, the APEX doesn't need baffling to hold it together. It won't clump or sag either. Climashield is TOP notch stuff fellas. Easy to work with as well. Only problem I get is pucker when sewing 3.6 ounce or higher due to the thickness and the limited space between my foot and plate on my sewing machine. NYLON stretches!!!!!!!!!!!
Any recommendations on how to keep the “puckering” to a minimum? I’ve purchased my material for a similar product but bought the 5 oz Apex in hopes to use it in cooler temps so I’m hoping to not regret that decision.

Pin it a lot. Better yet, use seam tape too. Go slow when sewing it and get your thread tension right on scraps before staring. It doesn't take much tension when sewing this material. Don't pull on the material either as it feeds. Let it feed naturally. This is were seam tape helps tremendously. Remember, the seam is hidden once you turn it right side out so, it will look fine.

Just a reminder to understand that aside from keeping it straight and on course, the machine doesn't need help feeding it. So, if you get going sideways away from the edge, stop sewing it and raise the foot to fix it so you don't stretch the material. Don't fix it by pulling on it while sewing it. that causes a huge pucker factor.

My last tip is once you have layered, pinned, and taped the seams for sewing, sew the stuff with insulation facing up towards the sewing foot. not down towards the bobbin and feeders. That sees backwards but, believe me, it isn't. If you sew it insulation down, you will have huge feeding issues. Face up is the way to go. I promise.

gjviii

Lil-Rokslider
My last tip is once you have layered, pinned, and taped the seams for sewing, sew the stuff with insulation facing up towards the sewing foot. not down towards the bobbin and feeders. That sees backwards but, believe me, it isn't. If you sew it insulation down, you will have huge feeding issues. Face up is the way to go. I promise.
+1 on this, very obvious suggestion, but i originally missed it

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Pin it a lot. Better yet, use seam tape too. Go slow when sewing it and get your thread tension right on scraps before staring. It doesn't take much tension when sewing this material. Don't pull on the material either as it feeds. Let it feed naturally. This is were seam tape helps tremendously. Remember, the seam is hidden once you turn it right side out so, it will look fine.

Just a reminder to understand that aside from keeping it straight and on course, the machine doesn't need help feeding it. So, if you get going sideways away from the edge, stop sewing it and raise the foot to fix it so you don't stretch the material. Don't fix it by pulling on it while sewing it. that causes a huge pucker factor.

Would there be any benefit of “quilt” sewing throughout the blanket? I’ve seen you don’t have to since the insulation is continuous but figured I’d ask. Also was ther any kind of instruction pattern you followed? Sorry if these are dumb questions lol.

No on the grosgrain. For me, I saw no benefit in having a finished edge with pull cord running through it. More weight that offered no benefit. I have no intentions of using it for a quilt or any process that would require tensioning the parameters of the whoobie. I use it as a cape when setting and waiting on game. A simple shrug drops it out of the way. It adds an extreme amount of warmth to light layers. For active hunting where one might hit while moving but, cold when setting in the layers required not to sweat, it is ‘da bomb. Mine weighs 13 ounces in its stuff sack

I laid it out inside out. Face fabric on the bottom with the outside up. Bottom fabric next with the face side down. Then the insulation. I sewed the parameter all but about ten inches. Turned the quilt inside out, whichbiriented the fabric in the correct layers, then sewed up the last 10 inches or so on the corner

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
No on the grosgrain. For me, I saw no benefit in having a finished edge with pull cord running through it. More weight that offered no benefit. I have no intentions of using it for a quilt or any process that would require tensioning the parameters of the whoobie. I use it as a cape when setting and waiting on game. A simple shrug drops it out of the way. It adds an extreme amount of warmth to light layers. For active hunting where one might hit while moving but, cold when setting in the layers required not to sweat, it is ‘da bomb. Mine weighs 13 ounces in its stuff sack

I laid it out inside out. Face fabric on the bottom with the outside up. Bottom fabric next with the face side down. Then the insulation. I sewed the parameter all but about ten inches. Turned the quilt inside out, whichbiriented the fabric in the correct layers, then sewed up the last 10 inches or so on the corner
Thank you so much man!! That’s my exact use would be for the warmth when needing it to add to active layers. Shit I’m thinking even ice fishing, glassing, camping lol! Going to begin shorty thanks again man!

Welcome. And, I missed the pattern question you asked before. Go to DIY Gear Supply and look at that tutorial for an under quilt. Just layer your fabrics based on it and sew. It is easy peasy. Also, you'll find a million uses for it. But, the "cape" is hard to beat. I used it down to teens last year with a poly base layer on top, a light poly fleece, a tommy boy puffy, and a light wool pant on the bottom with no baselayer. Stayed WARM. So warm my brother who was making fun of it prior, huddled under it when we run into one another in the woods. He got one for Christmas and was very excited for it. No making fun now. FWIW, I used calendered material to aid in blocking the wind too. Good luck and God Bless

Last edited: