DIY zipper puffy pants

Disclaimer: I’m a penny pincher from way back. I was looking for some puffy pants but didn’t want to pay the $$$. Y’all turned me on to these M65 puffy pants and the project went from there! I wanted to add side zippers and fit them to my legs - they’re HUGE from the US government.

Here’s how the project rolled out...

I removed all the side buttons and folded the trim under and sewed it in place for a good solid foundation for the zipper...

168ca5eb4d37be892e021127a55b4c51.jpg

Next I sewed the zipper in to each leg...

8a7eba3e8287448f530bebafae750896.jpg

db342428dcd2bd8bc802480cedde1e05.jpg

Instead of using Velcro closures like Kuiu does, I reused the buttons on the hip end of the zippers...

0321d23d8b1ebc1ddfdacf14fdbecc8a.jpg

Took out 4-5” of leg material to fit me better. The pants on the left are how they ship, the pants on the right are after I added zippers and removed the material.

e37a5b030b5d689e65023e5ea675b75e.jpg

Here’s another pic of the fitted pants on top of the originals...

ca1b0ea55ef5f9de923d06febaefe08a.jpg

Also added a button to the waist in case I gain or lose a few lbs...

cf9984121993e6c1ad546db047815cb1.jpg

All in all, I’m happy with how they turned out. I’m far from a seamstress so there are all kinds of ugly stitches, but they’re completely serviceable. Can’t wait to try them out - they fit great under my Attacks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
That's bad ass. Good work! Now find an old down pillow and turn your other pair into some extreme cold puffies...

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

OP
lotsofshots
That's bad ass. Good work! Now find an old down pillow and turn your other pair into some extreme cold puffies...

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Ha - thanks bud. I actually consider ordering another pair and stitching them together for 2X the insulation, then adding the zippers and fitting the legs. The pants are so cheap ($10 shipped) and light that it just might be worth the try.

Last edited:

1234AveA

Lil-Rokslider
Disclaimer: I’m a penny pincher from way back. I was looking for some puffy pants but didn’t want to pay the $$$. Y’all turned me on to these M65 puffy pants and the project went from there! I wanted to add side zippers and fit them to my legs - they’re HUGE from the US government.

Here’s how the project rolled out...

I removed all the side buttons and folded the trim under and sewed it in place for a good solid foundation for the zipper...

168ca5eb4d37be892e021127a55b4c51.jpg

Next I sewed the zipper in to each leg...

8a7eba3e8287448f530bebafae750896.jpg

db342428dcd2bd8bc802480cedde1e05.jpg

Instead of using Velcro closures like Kuiu does, I reused the buttons on the hip end of the zippers...

0321d23d8b1ebc1ddfdacf14fdbecc8a.jpg

Took out 4-5” of leg material to fit me better. The pants on the left are how they ship, the pants on the right are after I added zippers and removed the material.

e37a5b030b5d689e65023e5ea675b75e.jpg

Here’s another pic of the fitted pants on top of the originals...

ca1b0ea55ef5f9de923d06febaefe08a.jpg

Also added a button to the waist in case I gain or lose a few lbs...

cf9984121993e6c1ad546db047815cb1.jpg

All in all, I’m happy with how they turned out. I’m far from a seamstress so there are all kinds of ugly stitches, but they’re completely serviceable. Can’t wait to try them out - they fit great under my Attacks!

Solid job!

OP
lotsofshots
After packing these in and wearing them in 3rd rifle in CO (6° one morning) and a west TX whitetail hunt a few weeks back, I can say these pants really did their job! I wore them over a pair on 250 weight IceBreaker merino pants (that I’ve also outfitted with zippers) and under a pair of Kuiu Attack pants and was very happy with their performance.

If I had it to do again, I would use different color zippers for each leg - this would alleviate some confusion trying to put them on in the dark. In fact, that’s the plan for a pair of full length M65s I’ll be working on these next few weeks.

Good luck y’all! Go for it!

63ceb81f353d347f58556e5e37b8aa72.jpg

Edit: this is the finished pair with the different color zippers. They were outstanding under a pair of waders for duck hunting and fly fishing, the extra length was nice to have when I didn’t have tall hiking boots on.

Last edited:

feanor

WKR
Nice work- good use of the surplus and you won’t feel bad if you rip a hole in them either. Glad to hear they worked well too!

ccarter

FNG
That's good work. I'm not much of a seamstress, so I looked into getting zippers put onto the legs of a pair of insulated Microtex pants I have. After hearing the cost, and not being sure if she understood exactly what I wanted, I bought a pair of Trutimber down pants from Optics Planet for 80 bucks. They're about 16 oz. and pack really small. I wish I'd had them with me last year during third season. It was a little chilly glassing first thing in the mornings.

Hunter26

Lil-Rokslider
I like how so many people on here figure out awesome ways to fulfill their needs for little money and some effort! Good looking pants guys

ericwh

WKR
Nice work.

Is there any advantage to this setup over the surplus puffers that already have side zippers?

"Primaloft Gen III Level 7 Pants"​

Superdoo

WKR
Nice work.

Is there any advantage to this setup over the surplus puffers that already have side zippers?

"Primaloft Gen III Level 7 Pants"​

I have both. The level 7's are for when it's -20 degrees and the wind is blowing. They are also super heavy and not at all packable! I paid $50 for mine.
The M65's are great for when it's above zero and you need to add a little extra. I paid $8 each for mine on ebay.

This look pretty great! Do you know what the final weight is on these? Also, how small are they when packed down? I'm doing a 7 day drop-camp caribou hunt in late Sept, so it's going to be cold, but I also need to worry about weight and space, as we are limited. Hoping these might be a low-cost, but effective, choice.