Do all Caliber

I'm curious what load recipe or ammo you're using to push that heavy a bullet at those speeds with a 6.5. The fastest factory ammo I can find for my 6.5 is the hornady SST and at 120gr and its not coming out of the barrel that fast

Multiple guys were doing load development on those 156’s over on the long range only forum and pushing them over 3,000 fps out of 22” and 24” barrels if I recall. All handloads

wyosam

WKR
Multiple guys were doing load development on those 156’s over on the long range only forum and pushing them over 3,000 fps out of 22” and 24” barrels if I recall. All handloads

Those guys are way over pressure and should shoot a different cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those guys are way over pressure and should shoot a different cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go read some of it. Sounds like none of them had any pressure issues. And they weren’t novices just being dangerous with loads.

And I misspoke. Not all of them were over 3,000 fps, just some- but almost all of them were over 2,950 fps.

Last edited:
Is the ammo availability thing really an issue? I have a spot cut in the foam of my Pelican case for a 50 rnd handloaders box, so if my rifle gets there, my ammo gets there. This may not work for flying outside the US but other than that works great. I'm sure it's happened somewhere, but it gets brought up a lot and I always wonder if it's really that big of an issue. Kind of a tangent, I know......

And I get tired of the 6.5 Creedmoor being the end all. I own one, and it's my main hunting rifle. It's not magic. It's a easy shooting low recoil round that allows you to build good shooting skills easier than most. It's also very effective on game if used within it's proper place. I carry mine elk hunting, but I personally am going to cut my shots off at 400 or so. And that's with the 156 EOL Berger. If I lived in elk country, and hunted them every year you had better believe I would have something 30 cal with more horsepower.....

Agree! I’m not the oldest fella but in four decades of hunting I’ve never once bought ammo in a gas station. Put on your mask fellas 🤣

wyosam

WKR
Go read some of it. Sounds like none of them had any pressure issues. And they weren’t novices just being dangerous with loads.

And I misspoke. Not all of them were over 3,000 fps, just some- but almost all of them were over 2,950 fps.

Not having pressure “issues” does not mean they aren’t over pressure. Velocity is one of the most reliable pressure signs, and those speeds are way over for that cartridge, especially in those shorter barrels. There are so many cartridges available, I don’t get the fascination with making them do things they aren’t engineered to do. There are several easy options if you want to push a 156gr .264 that fast (or faster), and still manage to have good brass life and a margin of safety.

There are a lot of things the creed does very very well, but if speed is the goal, why not shoot one of the many 6.5s that are built with that goal in mind?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not having pressure “issues” does not mean they aren’t over pressure. Velocity is one of the most reliable pressure signs, and those speeds are way over for that cartridge, especially in those shorter barrels. There are so many cartridges available, I don’t get the fascination with making them do things they aren’t engineered to do. There are several easy options if you want to push a 156gr .264 that fast (or faster), and still manage to have good brass life and a margin of safety.

There are a lot of things the creed does very very well, but if speed is the goal, why not shoot one of the many 6.5s that are built with that goal in mind?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To make sure we're on the same page, I believe he is referring to PRC velocities from LRO. 156 at 3k from a 22" or shorter is still hot!

FLS

WKR
I believe you misread. There is no way in hell anyone is getting 3000 FPS with a 156 out of a 24” 6.5 Creedmoor and not seeing pressure signs.

slowelk

WKR
My suggestion is that folks stop shooting animals at 1k yds. It isn't a contest. Ethics are being thrown out the window. Just get closer?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

o_O this is a long range hunting forum. Go hang out in the trad section if you are going to get on an ethics/shot distance pedestal. The discussion is about a round that is capable at all ranges and be an ethical killer.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

@bowhunter307 this is your single warning on this subject. Since you didn't read the single simple long range forum rule I'll post it again below.
4f554fecd271a4ce770e6c034c829b58.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

brsnow

WKR
6.5cm and .270 win, I feel comfortable with both out to much further than I can shoot for anything in the lower 48. Prior to my .308 worked great on both deer and elk.

I like the idea of at least a 300 win mag when you throw elk into the equation. I had less than stellar performance from my 260 terminator with 140 grain cutting edge bullets at around 650 yards on a large bodied mule deer so I definitely wouldn’t want to be shooting that kind of distance for elk with that application.

rootacres

WKR
I know I’m going to get a lot of different answers but here we go. I am looking for a caliber/round that I can use from antelope up to elk. Would like to have the knock down power from up to 600 yards and be able to buy ammo almost anywhere. What would you guys suggest? Thinking about 6.5 PRC.
TIA

You have some options. Personally I would want something bigger than 6.5 for elk at 600 yds but it would certainly work. I had a 300 WSM that I sold and built a 7mm WSM, also with 600 yds being my max intended range and also with elk being the largest intended target. I can run a slightly higher BC bullet at a similar weight and velocity. Any of the fast 7s would be great (7 rem mag, 7 WSM, 28 Nosler etc). Many will demand a 30 cal. Which isn't a bad idea, 300 WSM, 300 WM, 300 PRC, 30 Nosler etc. I would draw the line at 7mm and not go higher than a 30 cal for 600 yds and on critters elk size and smaller. If it did it all over again I probably would have built a 7mm SAUM, short action mag boxes are a limiting factor.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
30-06 for North American. Wide availability of ammo, can take everything that walks wild in the western hemisphere. Mild recoil even in sub 6lb rifles.

The .308 and .300 wm have been very consistently dropping elk for me for a long time. Most my shots tend to be in the 400 to 600 range, with the majority in the mid 4s. This is due to hunting late season in open terrain. If I was to choose one for what you are describing, the .300 WM would make the most sense.

The reason why I did not suggest the 30-06 is that you mentioned that you planned on buying your ammo. Most factory ammo is very close in performance to .308 ammo when tested, for various reasons. That said, if you were a handloader, and had a good modern action such as a T3, you could really make the 30-06 perform far beyond what typical factory offerings do, and it would be an excellent choice for your given parameters.