do any of yall do alot of road biking for training ?

Poser

WKR
Does your typical road cyclists resemble the body type needed to pack out 100#?

Don’t get me wrong, I do quite a bit of Mtn biking during the summer months. It’s great fun and I get a lot of scouting in that way. Might have somewhat of a cross training effect considering the amount of time I spend pushing a bike uphill at high elevation but leg strength? My legs actually get significantly weaker during Mtn Bike season, often losing 50+ lbs off my Backsquat. I actually have to do a pure strength cycle just before hunting season to get my posterior chain strength back to what I feel is acceptable for packing heavy.

I live in a town full of pro cyclists of all disciplines. Arguably one of the top championship producing towns in America with 49 National titles and multiple olympians. I’ve yet to see a single of of them with a posterior chain that resembles anything more than that of an 8 year old girl. Road biking will make you good at road biking. It’s a specific adaptation. Running is also a specific adaptation.

Better than sitting on the couch? Sure.
Offer some baseline fitness? Sure.

If you want to be in shape to hunt, build a strong body (general adaptation that will enhance your ability carry weight in the most efficient manner) and be able to hike. That’s the solution. If you want to ride a bike because you like riding bikes, then, by all means, enjoy it, but don’t be under the illusion that the time spent on a bike translates into much else but riding a bike.

LostArra

WKR
25 years ago I crashed in a criterium and fractured my scapula. After surgery I asked the doctor if I was going to be able to ride again. He chuckled and said sure "but on a recumbent for the next year, hahaha". 25 years later I'm still riding my Lightning P-38 and still loving it. It takes some early adjustment on the hills because you can't stand on the pedals so there is more shifting/spinning. The speed profile on hills or rolling terrain is similar to a tandem. If I go to a group ride I usually ride with the tandems. Fastest century is 4:25 on a flat course with some fit tandem couples to ride with. Mountain rides like the Enchanted Circle in NMex are possible but triple cranks are required:).

all-repaired.jpg

LostArra

WKR
Road biking will make you good at road biking. It’s a specific adaptation. Running is also a specific adaptation.

As is weight lifting.
We all know power lifters who aren't getting an elk off the mountain.

But I get your point. The best training for carrying heavy packs is carrying heavy packs but that comes at a cost on joints. No harm in riding, running or lifting to supplement any training.

Poser

WKR
As is weight lifting.
We all know power lifters who aren't getting an elk off the mountain.

But I get your point. The best training for carrying heavy packs is carrying heavy packs but that comes at a cost on joints. No harm in riding, running or lifting to supplement any training.

Strength is likely the only general adaptation. Strength is the ability to produce force. Since you can use force production in an infinite amount of ways, be it picking up a backpack, getting off the toilet, pushing down on a pedal, pulling a bow string, or pushing a car out of a ditch, the ability to produce force is general. Strong spinal erectors keep the spine straight under the load of a backpack. Using a barbell to get stronger just happens to the the most efficient way to get stronger since the movements are multijoint/compound and you can increase the stress in an incremental and accurately measurable manner. While riding a bike doesn’t necessarily translate to packing an elk out, a strong posterior chain does.

I prefer mountain biking. I Do road bike a few times a month to mix it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk