Do any of you use Lighted Nocks?

Luked

WKR
Something I have been thinking about is getting lighted nocks this year.
Have never used them before but thought it might be worth it.
Was just curious if any of you have used them on an Elk hunt and did it help with a tracking job or anything like that.

Never used them on elk but deer yes as far as tracking goes I don’t think it makes much difference, one thing I can say is they make retrieving arrows much easier if shooting close to dusk

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve used them on and off. They are really nice for seeing exactly where your arrow hits and finding the arrow (though if the arrow gets buried it’s not much help). They also break often, usually in a way where they get stuck in the arrow so the arrow is ruined. Also, about two out of six won’t work for more than a few shots but can still be used for practice. This is my experience with the nockturnals. Check your tune as well. I’ve had bow/arrow combos that really did not like them.

ahlgringo

WKR
Now that there legal here in CO, I don’t elk hunt without em. Had too many “definitely hit here!”Experiences personally and with buddies only to find truth was quite the contrary. Makes spotting impacts so much more reliable.

Also shot my bull last year at last light only to see him go into some thick nasty, (it was a quartering away shot that buried almost to fletching). Gave him an hour then started tracking. After about 100 yds of tunneling through on a blood trail found him lit up like a street lamp with nock glowing. I would have found him either way- but it was pretty cool.

I have tried most brands but honestly now go with the cheap Chinese ones off Amazon. I shoot year round with em and simply use the ones that don’t light as practice arrows. Check a bunch before season and load up the quiver. Buying a dozen is about the same price as a 3 pack of branded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve used them and love them. The only con is the weight. The ones I use are very tough, don’t affect arrow flight, and I’ve never had a failure. They have helped in tracking very few times. 99.9% of the time I have pass throughs, so they can’t help then.

Sled

WKR
They aren't on all my arrows but I like them for hunting and evening target shooting. I can see the green ones at over 100 yards and that's worth it when the only time you have to shoot is nearly dark. As for hunting, it's great to spot your hits and recover arrows. Sometimes they may break but it's worth it.

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Used to, ditched em a couple years back. Never felt they were worth the time and effort.

When they fail in the field, and at some point they will. U start to wonder why u even messed with em in the first place.

eltaco

WKR
I’ve started using them now that I’m living in the Midwest, and absolutely love them for out here. I’m generally shooting into thick cover or a row crop field out here, and the chances of recovering an arrow in tall vegetation is almost nil without a lighted nock. Out West, I haven’t had much of an issue with arrow recovery.

That said, I did take a bull at dusk very similar to the story above, and that was a life-changing experience for me. I made a slight quartering away shot on a bull in the last few minutes of light, and watched that laser strike him on his side as intended. That said, what I couldn’t see was his offside leg back behind the vitals, and my arrow instantly kicked back out and thankfully the broadhead stuck in my side. I was able to watch my bull kick out of there and run off in the distance before slowing to a walk as he headed back down the hill… the whole time while watching my nock flopping around through my binos as he distanced from me.

In all, my bull ended up dropping out of sight about 125yds from where he was originally hit. Without an exit hole on the far side, my blood trail wasn’t very good, but that nock gave me full confidence in my shot placement. I decided to track him and from about 50yds out I looked up and noticed the leaves all glowing green like I’d placed a homing beacon on that bull. That little nock lit up the whole area and made tracking and recovery a breeze.

Now, I will say that I’ve tried quite a few options and I’d personally stay clear of anything other than Nockturnal. I still don’t trust any lighted Nocks in a G size as the material is simply too thin, and I have made the stupid mistake of trying ebay Nocks only to blow one up and partially dry fire my bow. Even with that recommendation for Nockturnal, I have certainly found some brand new in the package that don’t work… but still find them overall the best option out there
0c7ca116edf58e51242256a708f86ff9.jpg

Last edited:
I can't see passed 20 yards so I use them all the time beyond that distance. I like Nockturnal over anything else. Yes, I could use binos, but if can't see where the arrow went, assuming I missed a target, binos are not going to help from the shooting line....but lighter nocks will. Also, if its during the day and I cannot find my arrow I will come back out in the evening and walk right to my arrow. Have not lost one yet!

Zdub02

WKR
I switched to lighted a few years ago. I may or may not be known to sling and lose an arrow or two... hence the switch.

ewescue

Lil-Rokslider
I love them for .246" arrows, they're usually okay for .204" arrows, but with micros the durability is terrible. I like the benefits to micros so i opt to shoot them but no longer use lighted nocks. Once or if a company makes a great micro lighted nock, I'll be using them for sure.

S.Clancy

WKR
I use Nocturnal X nocks. I tune them bareshaft with my arrows, they shoot great. When the batteries die I just keep shooting them on my practice arrows. They are by far the best I have used

Reactions: fey

tuk

FNG
I have used a couple different brands. Like using em. Some come with a few duds. But it is nice to see where that arrow is.

Has anyone tried firenocks with micro diameter arrows?
I use Firenocks with Easton Pro Comps, BE X-Impacts and other .166 arrows. They work and are dependable. Batteries will last a season. Tried several other cheaper options and they were not dependable. The Nock itself is very much worth using even if you decide not to go lighted. They are expensive and take some time and patience to install but if you want a lighted nock to light every time, be very bright and not compromise the quality of your arrow they are probably the only choice.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tried firenocks with micro diameter arrows?
Absolutely. Firenock has the best lighted nocks IMO. They also are the biggest pain initially, but that is because you have to install a little Extreme Shock End Cap inside the shaft so the battery doesn't fly down inside the shaft upon impact. He will supply you with the installation tool, and I suggest using a good glue like Starbond Black with the rubber toughened formulation to install those small parts.

Once you got that installed and please let it dry for 1-2 days (I even put a fan on the end of the shafts so they will 100% be dry) then install the circuit in his nock (excellent nocks too BTW), install the battery (which is replaceable as they are used up, super nice), insert in the shaft and you are ready to rock!

They come on when shot (g-force) and will stay on until you hold them vertical for 5-6 seconds, then drop them 6-8 inches on a solid surface. Easy! I've been using lighted nocks for years and have tried a bunch of them. Firenocks have always been the best of the best for me, just a little bit of a learning curve and a pain to install the components initially, otherwise they are top shelf stuff.

N2TRKYS

WKR
TBG was the best until they stopped making them. Now Nufletch Ignitors are the best. Never had one fail to work or to break.

Been using Lumenoks... they've been pretty reliable for me. Actually the weight hasn't bothered me. I generally run 125 or 150 CPA heads and the weight at the nock end balances out the FOC nicely in most cases.

11boo

WKR
I’m going to try some. Stick an elk at last legal light and you will be tracking with a flashlight. Obvi no help if you get a pass thru or buried fletching, but possibly a big help.