Do any of you use Lighted Nocks?

Something I have been thinking about is getting lighted nocks this year.
Have never used them before but thought it might be worth it.
Was just curious if any of you have used them on an Elk hunt and did it help with a tracking job or anything like that.
I too am looking to get some and try them out. Looking for good brands.

11boo

WKR
Read thru here, seems like we tried them all.

You need to know the exact ID of the arrow, I used calipers on a stand nock.
you could find it on your arrow brands information too.

Something I have been thinking about is getting lighted nocks this year.
Have never used them before but thought it might be worth it.
Was just curious if any of you have used them on an Elk hunt and did it help with a tracking job or anything like that.
I used them the last couple years, even in daylight, here on the coast it can be really dark in the brush, especially some of the young timber/old reprod stuff, where you lose almost an hour of daylight off of both sides of the day… when it’s not high sun in that stuff, it’s just hard to see… elk like that stuff, and I have had a lot of scenarios in that type of habitat that I will have a deflection or a good hit, and not really know where my arrow went… I know what happened (hit or deflection, or whatever) but not because I saw it, but the other clues, like sounds and the reaction to the elk on the shot… lighted nocks help a ton in that stuff… they sound awesome right?

On the other hand, I think they all kinda suck, firenocks are expensive and a pain to install, nockturnal, glory nock, woody’s, lumenock, etc have been pretty to very unreliable for me, the cheap Amazon or eBay ones seem to be the best option, holding up as well but cheap enough to weed out the bad ones… I refuse to use a cheap Chinese knockoff nock though, don’t trust them, I know it’s a matter of time before one of those fails and I dry fire my bow because I was using crap lighted nocks, and they can’t be consistent at that price… the best seeming option is my least favorite option.

I love the concept, they are awesome when they work right, but they are a headache, and every arrow has to have one on it, because they all shoot different (nock fit)

I think the only option for me in the future is buying a bunch of lumenocks or nockturnals, use the glitchy ones for practice, keep the good ones for hunting and accepting they all suck.

Lumenock is probably my current favorite because I shoot black Eagle, and they use black eagle nocks, so nock fit is the same, just a difference in weight and foc, which isn’t a big deal until you are shooting longer distances.

I’m still torn, and I’m sure this reply didn’t really help much, haha.

It is nice to see exactly where the arrow lands though, and nice to easily find them, granted they work

11boo

WKR
Are any US made? I couldn’t find them, and settled on the Chinese nock offs.
They are cheap enough and work well.

Use Nockturnals. They work good most of the time. Only problem I've had is them shorting/draining after carrying them in a lot of rain all season (blacktail hunting). Love them for filming, helps a ton to be able to assess shot placement before tracking if necessary.
It does seem like they are more problematic in our region with the moisture… I really do like using them, but I go back and forth on them being worth the hassle

A dozen firenocks is a hit that’s hard for me to justify, and nothing else has been very reliable

If firenocks were just plug and play, I may justify the price, but installing a dozen after paying for them doesn’t give me the feeling of more value than something like a nockturnal

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I told myself I wasn’t getting anything else before season but thanks to this thread I ordered a few packs of Amazon special lighted nocks…

11boo

WKR
I told myself I wasn’t getting anything else before season but thanks to this thread I ordered a few packs of Amazon special lighted nocks…
I hope yours work as well as mine. I was just out shooting with some regular nocks and the cheap Amazon lit ones. I’m not seeing any change in POI out to 42 yards. Identical with my QAD Exodis too.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I received the .166 /.204 version in the mail today. Plan to use them I'm my gold tip pierce arrows.. The nock weights almost 4 grains more than the nocturnal and it fits better. Looks to me like the extra weight is around the battery and where it ties the external portion to the battery.. They feel more solid than the nocturnal you can't wiggle the battery like the nocturnal's. I removed 3 nocturnals from my arrows all were bent where the battery ties to the external part of the nock. It was noticeable just holding the arrow up and looking at it..
Just out of curiosity which ones did you get and how are they holding up for you?

I got my first set yesterday and broke one upon trying to shove it in to a shaft. It was a very tight fit and I should have known better than to keep trying lol. I got the YIXINHONG, ordered a set of the “Ellen archery” to try and see how they are too. Was wanting another set to mess around with since opening day is just around the corner.

They are a blast to use. I keep the dead ones for practice nocks. I also glue a piece of copper electric cable into the back of my XNocks to keep the weight at 20grains. I find them very helpful for hunting in thick woods

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
Just out of curiosity which ones did you get and how are they holding up for you?

I got my first set yesterday and broke one upon trying to shove it in to a shaft. It was a very tight fit and I should have known better than to keep trying lol. I got the YIXINHONG, ordered a set of the “Ellen archery” to try and see how they are too. Was wanting another set to mess around with since opening day is just around the corner.
The Yixinhong and the ones I got. They are junk. I broke one trying to install it . Sanded the others to fit and they ended up breaking Just like the nocturnals .I'm convinced all 166 lighted nocks are junk. The ones they make for .204 shafts work great .

HuntWyld

WKR
Firenocks have been working great for .166 they are time consuming to install correctly but not difficult.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I have been running Firenocks for years and make it onto the front of his catalog most years for the past 7-8 years with a pic of something I shot using his nocks. If installed correctly, they are one of the most foolproof and easiest to use IMO. break the nock, swap it out for a new one. Battery die? Swap that out for a fresh one. Circuit get damaged, he has a swap out program. Even if I did not run his total system, I would rock his nocks as they are excellent.

Has anyone experienced a shift in point of impact with broadheads when you replace knocks with a lighted variety?

I haven't shot them yet with my broadheads, but found them to be well within my margin of error out to 70 yards with field points.

Dunndm

WKR
Has anyone experienced a shift in point of impact with broadheads when you replace knocks with a lighted variety?

I haven't shot them yet with my broadheads, but found them to be well within my margin of error out to 70 yards with field points.

They weight more, usually a lot more. So you’ll see a lower impact further distances back when using a lighted vs non lighted mock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They weight more, usually a lot more. So you’ll see a lower impact further distances back when using a lighted vs non lighted mock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapata
Yea, that is what I expected to find. However, I did not. One guy on one day, small sample size to be sure.

For what it's worth, I believe my lighted ones are 10-12 grains heavier than my regulars.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, my arrows behave differently with lighted vs regular nocks. I sight in with lighted nocks even if the batteries are worn out so I can keep a very similar weight to when I set up to hunt.

Fullfan

WKR
Purchased some nockturnals, shot three arrows last night. Two normal nocks and one w a nockturnal. Anything past 50 yds, the arrow w the nockturnal was always 6-8” low.

So just be aware at closer ranges it did not change much.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I shot some with the Amazon specials this morning. Shot about 30 arrows and they grouped right with my standard nocked arrows. All shots were at 60 yards.
edit: I’ve yet to shoot them with broadheads so that may change things. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited: