Do anyone have lock time numbers on any rifles?

Spitfire

FNG
(What is lock time? Look at bottom of post)

Does anyone have numbers of lock time of various rifles? I'm trying to create a more complete list

What I found so far (I cannot verify, I find it strange Tikka T3 is this fast for example)
Rifle ModelTime in MillisecondW/Speed lock
Tikka T31.3
Anschutz 20001.5
Remington 700 TI1.6
Savage 1161.65
Anschutz 18001.7
Anschutz 14002.3
Remington 700 SA2.6
Winchester M70 SA2.6 (-40%)
Remington 700 LA3-40%
Winchester M70 LA3 (-31%)-31%
Ruger M773.4
Mauser 984 to 5-40%
Springfield 19034 to 5-40%
Enfield 19174 to 5

Manufacturer and ModelLock Time (milliseconds)
Rößler Titan 3, 6, 16 and Alpha1.6
Savage 10 AccuTrigger1.6
Anschütz 1827 Fortner1.7
Sig Sauer 200 STR2.4
Remington 700 (short action)2.6
Winchester Model 703
Remington 700 (long action)3 to 3.2
Ruger M773.6
M1917 Enfield4 to 5
Mauser M984 to 5
M1903A Springfield5.7 to 6.5
Lee–Enfield8 to 9
AR-15/M4/HK416approximately 10

What is lock time?
Lock time or action time refers to the time interval (often measured in milliseconds) from when the trigger of a firearm is activated until the firing pin strikes the primer, and depends on the design of the firing mechanism. A long lock time increases the probability of the shooter pulling the sights away from the target before the bullet has left the barrel, a common shooter error which can lead to poor hits or even misses.

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting topic

Reminds me of the Remington 700 EtronX from the early 2000's (?)
No firing pin or traditional mechanical trigger.
Specialized ammo, Ignited by a electronic circuit powered by a 9V battery
From a Popular Mechanics published Dec 6 2004
"Lock time for the electronic firing circuit is slashed to 27 microseconds. That's a 99 percent reduction compared to the standard 700's."
27 microseconds = 0.027 milliseconds

No sear, mainspring, or firing pin also reportedly reduced harmonic vibration and micro barrel movements.

I have never seen one. Anyone have any experience?

Wrench

WKR
There's no way to keep the sample sterile. A change in lube, rust, spring set, depth of a roll pin, trigger clearance.....literally a zillion inputs to measure.

Why do engines kiss one valve and not every valve at the magic rpm?......because of the above.

Harold Vaughn's book, rifle accuracy facts covers so much about these metrics that it will give you a headache.

OP
S

Spitfire

FNG
Why does it matter?
It's more of a deep dive. Competitive shooters claim there's a difference, hence "NE Herd Bull" mention about electric firing circuit. Wikipedia says this "A long lock time increases the probability of the shooter pulling the sights away from the target before the bullet has left the barrel, a common shooter error which can lead to poor hits or even misses."

You can get better lock times using SpeedLock kit for many of the popular offerings of American rifles. They give an example here:

Remington 700 short-action
Standard Firing pin
  • Firing pin weight 650 grains
  • Lock time 2.6 milliseconds
SpeedLock Systems pin
  • Firing pin weight 285 grains
  • Lock time 1.6 milliseconds
SpeedLock Systems pin — net effect
  • 365 grain reduction in firing pin weight — 58% reduction
  • • Lock time was reduced 1.01 milliseconds — 39% reduction
Source: https://www.davidtubb.com/catalog/view/theme/davidtubb/pdf/product_information/pins.pdf

Last edited:
I don't have anything to back it up, but I researched light firing pins for reduced lock time years ago. My research concluded that heavier firing pins were preferable for reliable ignition.

TaperPin

WKR
It's more of a deep dive. Competitive shooters claim there's a difference, hence "NE Herd Bull" mention about electric firing circuit. Wikipedia says this "A long lock time increases the probability of the shooter pulling the sights away from the target before the bullet has left the barrel, a common shooter error which can lead to poor hits or even misses."

You can get better lock times using SpeedLock kit for many of the popular offerings of American rifles. They give an example here:

Remington 700 short-action
Standard Firing pin
  • Firing pin weight 650 grains
  • Lock time 2.6 milliseconds
SpeedLock Systems pin
  • Firing pin weight 285 grains
  • Lock time 1.6 milliseconds
SpeedLock Systems pin — net effect
  • 365 grain reduction in firing pin weight — 58% reduction
  • • Lock time was reduced 1.01 milliseconds — 39% reduction
Source: https://www.davidtubb.com/catalog/view/theme/davidtubb/pdf/product_information/pins.pdf
One of the most popular benchrest actions is a Bat and it seems most people find their design to have a design very close to ideal - this is off their information page:85C7B6BA-6448-4527-9031-27AF1A0C2F45.jpeg

TaperPin

WKR
If a super light firing pin and super fast lock time was a benefit to accuracy I’d expect Bat and other benchrest actions would simply design their firing pins that way. Somewhere it seems there was a discussion about this, and the lock time more or less reflects what’s been shown to be ideal through testing of a lot of benchrest shooters.

Maybe rifles for field shooting do benefit from shorter time since they aren’t held as steady? Idk.

OP
S

Spitfire

FNG
Maybe rifles for field shooting do benefit from shorter time since they aren’t held as steady? Idk.
I'd say that sounds reasonable. It's what happened when you pull the trigger and right after that, if you flinch, do a bad trigger pull, ect, will have more consequences the longer the bullet is in the barrel.

Also when shooting at a target on the move, say driven hunt on wild boar, I'd think shorter lock time be benefitial.

I've also read that rifles with a cocking mechanism has longer lock times then those with bolt and pin.