Do decent bino’s exist around $200?

I’ve looked through threads on binos and consistently find people recommending glass in the $500 range. Unfortunately, there is no way I’ll be able to spend that much by the time my first elk hunt hits. My question is, is there a binocular that will at least allow me the ability to see elk 1000 yards or so away and know if it is a bull or cow for around $200? If not, I will have to go without any glass. I have seen decent online reviews for some Nikon and Vortex offerings, but none of them mentioned elk hunting in the mountains.

Wildlifer

Lil-Rokslider
Get some vortex Diamondback 10x42 and dont worry about it. Elk are big and it doesn't sound like you will be trying to look for trophy potential.

It is a little bit more, but the Maven C.1's have been compared to some $1000 binos and have outperformed them. I don't think you will regret getting them.

K

Kootenay Hunter

My suggestion is to look past the typical hunting brands and look at optic brands in general. Birders can be obsessed with optics, they look at much smaller things in much more detail, so a lot of them don't mess around, birding sites have a lot of info on binos, scopes, etc.

Unfortunately, with glass, you get what you pay for.

I can tell you that my cheap truck binos, celestron 10x40, and vortex crossfire 10x40 are clear enough to determine if an elk is a bull or cow at about 2000 yds, but in no way I could count tines.

If you're using binos are 1000 yds, even a cheap pair would greatly benefit from a tripod and bino mount. Just steadying the binos when looking at that distance improves what you can see/spot a lot.

OP
Gerard Marcaurele
Get some vortex Diamondback 10x42 and dont worry about it. Elk are big and it doesn't sound like you will be trying to look for trophy potential.

Heck, I’m going to have an either sex tag. All I want to know is whether or not a bugle will even work on what I’m chasing. I have no reason to worry about much right now. I could cough up more for the binos and sit out yet another year, but 2019 will be my first hunt. So, I’d rather spend my limited budget on just getting to the woods.

ColeKira

FNG
I have a pair of Diamondbacks in my truck at all times and not too worried about them getting damaged or stolen. Wont do that with a pair of Swaros.

geriggs

WKR
Also Vanguard Endeavor ED you can get for close to that. Both were 400-500 dollar binos a few years ago. You can still find them new but old stock

Wildlifer

Lil-Rokslider
you know if you are really concerned about it Maven offers a 2 week demo program. You could potentially grab a pair for a week try/use them and send them back if you dont feel like they are worth it.

Bare minimum features when you're shopping, look for fully multi-coated glass, and waterproof.
Coatings affect the light gathering ability and reduce distortion of the image.
Waterproof also means internal fog and dust-proof - which is generally more important than waterproof.
Vortex Diamondbacks fit those criteria.

As someone who usually has a pair of bins around my neck, another thing I look for is how close do they focus? I want to be able to focus at my toes because I use them for everything, not just hunting. Snakes, lizards, butterflies, fish, birds, flowers etc.

CorbLand

WKR
Nikon Prostaff 3S
Nikon Prostaff 7S
Bushnell M series
Alpen went under and you can find them on closeout for a good price at some stores.

NYSKIER

WKR
you know if you are really concerned about it Maven offers a 2 week demo program. You could potentially grab a pair for a week try/use them and send them back if you dont feel like they are worth it.

I second this idea the C.1 are only around 300 bucks so demo them and if you like them enough keep them. There is a good review on them on the site if you look for it. I believe Jordan wrote the review

CHSD

WKR
I have a pair of Cabelas Intensity 10x42 that I really like. I haven't used anything more expensive than the Cabelas but I really like them. You can get them for $200.

muddydogs

WKR
Vortex Diamondback 12x50's have been serving me well from the plains of Wyoming to the Elk woods in Utah as well as Arizona Mule deer country. All my hunting buddies are low class glass guys that mostly run Vortex bino's or the same class of glass in Nikon.