Do everything scope?

WDE91

FNG
I'm putting together a Tikka in 280Ai using Preferred prefit #2 contour barrel and trying to figure out what I want scope wise.
This will be my proverbial do everything rifle.

Looking for glass quality, tracking and affordability.

Some scope options I'm considering.
Am I missing a really good option that I should look into?

Steiner GS3 2-10X42
SWFA 3-9X42
Vortex Razor LHT
Viper HS 4-16X44

kickemall

WKR
I agree with the V4. Great scope with both elevation and windage turrets having locks on them in the Gen 2s. However, the SWFA is going to be the one with the most reliable tracking and return to zero.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Zeiss and Meopta had some of the best tracking results in my testing before the pandemic. Immediately after them was the Nightforce scopes. I used a total station to set up a tracking verification tool. Did some minor impact testing as well and they continued to track close to perfectly. Those 3 brands I’d be really confident in.

I only tested one SWFA scope that a lot of guys on here swear by. It was one of their lightweight models and did not perform as I had hoped.

None of the Vortex or Leupold scopes performed very well in the test. I can dig up the results if you want.

From my personal experience you can’t go wrong with Meopta, Zeiss, or Nightforce.

DropTyne

Lil-Rokslider
SWFA 3-9×42 all the way. I have put them on all my hunting rifles. They have replaced Swarovski, Leupold, and Tract.

FYI, the Tract Toric is an awesome scope, I just prefer a FFP scope in mils. If I wanted a SFP MOA scope, Tract would likely be the direction I would go.

Zappaman

WKR
Uh... Weaver Grand Slam? I know, it's old school but I've rarely missed with them and they track perfectly ;) Still, I'm a "hold-over" shooter to 600 yards (with a few elk neck shots at that range) so what do you need the scope for?

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
Trijicon also makes a 22oz? 2-10, I don’t have any experience with it but everything else they make is pretty much bomb proof

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve had the swfa and the lht side by side, it’s not even close. The lht has been flawless so far. I’ve heard good things about the swfa but the glass was so bad I just couldn’t get excited about it.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I would avoid zeiss, decent glass but I've
had a v6 and v4 fail to track.
Literally 0 for 2 in my experience
This is good to know. I’ve owned and tested several of these and specifically tested for dialing accuracy and return to zero. No issues.

I even did introduced some minor impacts bottom, top, and side. Nothing major, just simulating a normal field drop or hiking “bump”. None of the tested scopes lost their accuracy.

What was your verification tool for measuring the failures?

DropTyne

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had the swfa and the lht side by side, it’s not even close. The lht has been flawless so far. I’ve heard good things about the swfa but the glass was so bad I just couldn’t get excited about it.
Just curious what model SWFA you were looking through? There is a difference in optical quality between the Classic and HD models. I have compared the SWFA 3-9×42 against alpha glass at the end of shooting light and found the SWFAs do as well or better.

The only issues I have founf with SWFA is finding them in stock.

OP
W

WDE91

FNG
Just curious what model SWFA you were looking through? There is a difference in optical quality between the Classic and HD models. I have compared the SWFA 3-9×42 against alpha glass at the end of shooting light and found the SWFAs do as well or better.

The only issues I have founf with SWFA is finding them in stock.
With the SWFA 3-9X42 trying to purchase new seems difficult as they're out of stock.

With that scope, is there a specific generation or part number I should look at buying used?

ChrisAU

WKR
I think we’ve talked on AL Deer, I’m a fan of the Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42 on my 280AI. Drug it all around WY a couple months ago, dialed perfectly for a 390 yard shot on an Antelope. Has all the features and keeps the weight down. Wide FOV on 2.5x, plenty of mag for longer shots. Pretty good glass too. It feels like a much higher quality optic than the SWFA or Razor LHT, I’ve had both.

EE3064E0-1DF6-44B8-BF73-E1D215E2A255.jpeg675938A6-0A58-44A8-A230-B34759F254C7.jpeg

DropTyne

Lil-Rokslider
Not that I am aware of. I have bought some new and some used from the SWFA Sample List and classifieds. All have been good.

I know some of the earlier model 3-9×42s had the Mil-Dot reticle with MOA adjustment. That would be a no go for me. I always verify that before I buy a used one. I am not aware if SWFA made any of their scopes with the Mil-Quad reticle with MOA adjustment.

I know the new scopes now have a different turret font. This change has occurred in the past year or so (since Covid started). I don't know if they changed any else, but SWFA should be able to answer that easily.

Good luck with your search.

This is good to know. I’ve owned and tested several of these and specifically tested for dialing accuracy and return to zero. No issues.

I even did introduced some minor impacts bottom, top, and side. Nothing major, just simulating a normal field drop or hiking “bump”. None of the tested scopes lost their accuracy.

What was your verification tool for measuring the failures?
I had the v6 first and after pulling my hair out trying to get my ballistics to match my long range impact I did a tall target tracking test.
It failed miserably and the calibration error was not consistent through the elevation range.
It was my first time experiencing tracking issues and really opened my eyes.

The v4 I tried a few years later after all the awesome reviews, I had the same issues with impact not matchingy ballistics and did the same tall target test with similar results.
I realize every one can produce a lemon now and then but I just can't trust zeiss after that.
Also they only have a 5 year warranty on their scopes!!
Doesn't make any sense if they're so reliable